View Poll Results: Which is cooler?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Short transit time with an unfrozen crew

9 25.71%
  • Long transit time with a cryogenically frozen crew

26 74.29%
    Thanks

Which option for interstellar travel is cooler?

Well, down i nthe Game Design section we ran into a minor controversy. Basically some people think that traveling through space in a short peroid of time with the crew unfrozen is better. Others think that a longer trip with the crew cryogenically frozen is better.

So I decided to make a thread and poll the audience. Which is cooler?

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Long trip, if only because it produces situations like Ripley comming back home, only to find out that her daughter is dead and that the planet she found the Aliens on has already been colonised for some time.

I envision we'll start doing freeze trips long before instant travel will be possible. There's just too many problems with moving several times the speed of light. Taking your time and just freezing the crew is just that much easier.
    /fd
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Thanks
    as everibody need to be naked with the cryogenic chamber system, i can't imagine why people hesitate !
    I'm a manky artist, don't mess with me

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    does anyone here know where one can read up on the different proposed methods like tachyonic faster-than-light travel and wormholes, etc?

Thanks
    its recently been said that wormholes cannot get you places, the earlier theories set up my stephen hawkings is wrong, he admited it himself. sorry to spoil it
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    I don't know if his theory proved wormholes wrong though. He just admitted that things that get sucked in can get expelled back out, albeit in nothing close to their original form. I don't know if this would destroy the wormhole theory.

And Exo, I'm not sure about that, but there was a really great Pop Sci(Mechanics?) article on that a while ago. If you can find it at your local library it should provide some nifty reading.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    long transit is good, leaves the story a bit more open to stuf happening on the ship, especially if it's a big shipe

Thanks
    Long transit with cryo freezing is coolest, because when you do that you basically leave your entire life/family/loved ones behind, because of the time difference when travelling that far/fast. It makes characters more full in a storyline and creates a more realistic view/perspective for an environment.

P.S. of course short transit while awake *CAN* have its cool points too.

Thanks
    the problem with long-term transit is that once you wake up, the damn dirty apes rule the world. And that's not even the worse part! First you think you just went to some crazy ape planet where they try to castrate you and give you a lobotomy and then when you finally manage to get away from the gorilla army, you find the statue of liberty and your all like "what the hell?!"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens
    Isn't it true that the closer you travel to the speed of light, the slower you age.

i think so, i heard that if you fly alot over your life time you won't age as fast, i think it's all part of einstein's theory(???) that when someone approaches the speed of light they actually reverse in the aging process...pretty crazy

Thanks
    That's correct. The faster on object moves, the slower it experiences time. Even our own orbital satellites experience this on minute scale. Every year their internal clocks lose about 1/100 of a second.

Time and space are related in such a way that when one is changed, the other is as well and the theory of relativity states that light speed is the absolute fastest speed that can be achieved in physical space. If something were to move any faster, it would be on it's journey before having left. This is just an example of how time and space are linked. Think of it this way: A photon bouncing between two stationary points at the speed of light is moving in a perfectly straight line forward and back. If the two points are moving, it must move a greater distance as it's now moving diagonally to keep up, it's tempo is slower even though it's still technically moving at the speed of light. Time, as it's experienced by the two points (or whatever object you want to correspond with them) has slowed down while light speed tempo remains the same in the surrounding nonmoving environment.
    Last edited by N D Hill; August 30th, 2004 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks
    Strange little thing I've been noticing lately. Every car clock I've ever seen has been 1-2 min behind other forms of time measurement. I think, even on the smallest scale, the hours logged on a car can slow the aging of the clock...maybe its just a coincidence though =P

Thanks
    I usually take a bus.
    Please visit my gallery at http://drawnblud.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    i don't know if drawnblud was responding to the post ahead of him, or if he was saying the best way for interstellar travel was to take a bus, but i laughed my ass off.
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Thanks
    I found this interesting Q&A regarding tachyonic space travel. It's great for lay-people such as myself.

...It also reminded me of a Futurama episode when Fry went back in time and killed his young would-be grandfather and then Slept with his grandmother and found out he was his Dad's father.

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/as...s/970612b.html

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by staylor
    My favorite proposed method for faster than light travel has got to be negative energy. Apparently it has awesome space-warping abilites and wrapping a "bubble" of it around the spacecraft would allow for incredible speeds. There's also plenty of interesting visual side effects of the distortion. An article was in Scientific American a while ago and I'll look for an online reference soon.
    are you thinking of a virtual mass field?
    Last edited by N D Hill; August 30th, 2004 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks
    being frozen is way cooler than staying warm and toasty. *nyuck-nyuck*

I think you really have 3 choices here. Either "slow" inertial space travel (the way we do things today), near-light speed travel, which would take a million or so years to cross the universe or at least week between solar systems, or you could do some kind of warp/worm hole/tesseract travel which would be really damn quick.

Instead of asking us which is niftier, you need to decide if you want to have some plot development during travel (near-light speed), have almost no plot during travel (worm hole), or have the whole game take place on the ship (inertial cryogenic travel).

Me, I'm a big fan of the Marathon trilogy so the idea of a rampant AI controlling a moon-sized colony ship floundering half way through a 1000-year trip to a new planet is fond nostalgia!
    bee-dubya-keo
    neo•keo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor