Thanks

Xbox & PS2 Any Point??!

Hello fellow CA.orgers lol, I am in a dilemma. First of all I am heading off to Colledge to do a course called Aircraft Structural Repair, and during my schooling, I know after the long hours of study and rest I will want to let loose and get gaming. I won't have a PC out there, and that is why I am now trying to figure some things out concerning Xbox and PS2. I am not totally sold on either console as of yet. Leaning more towards the Xbox, I really dunno why though. But either way, I am now concerned with the idea of even buying one. Becuase I am afraid that I will spend my money on a console and in 1 year or so a new one will be out and my console will be of no use. It happened to me with the N64 and I think thats whats making me kinda edgy in buying another console. So I am wondering if anybody can add there thoughts or knowledge, and anybody who may have a better idea on the future of both these platforms and how long they will last before games just stop being made for both. I already hear talks of a PS3 and even an Xbox 2 so I think thats whats making me nervous with the idea. So please any help at all, any recent links concerning this problem of mine will be of great use, and even throw out your personal thoughts on which platform you prefer would be great. Thanks in advance. TTYS

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    the Xbox has one of the biggest games coming out!
    Halo 2!!!!!!!!

the PS2 has another big PS2 exclusive game coming out!
    GTA: San Andreas!!!!

Go with the Xbox,
    its more powerful, you can save music into the built in harddrive (that means you don't really need to buy memory cards!) and there are lots of new powerful games coming out besides Halo 2, like Fable (super super realistic adventure/RPG game), Half Life 2, Doom 3.

I have the xbox as well, so you can't go wrong! hehe..

Don't worry about the new systems, thats not for at least 1.7 years
    You're going to wait 1.7 years while playing GoldenEye on your N64?
    Last edited by Denart; August 26th, 2004 at 07:05 PM.

Thanks
    ya I continually hear people talk about this Halo 2 and i have played Halo at a friends house and did enjoy it. I am also a big fan of all the GTA titles lol, as for Goldeneye on the N64....I own and and LOVED IT lol...oh my...I'm so pathetic lol keep the comments coming, I need as much help as I can get.

Thanks
    eventually, GTA: San Andreas will come to the Xbox. As has occured for GTA: III and Vice City. Hope my friend! HOPE!

Thanks
    Gamecube.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlo-mo
    Gamecube.
    Just what I was about to say...
    You can't go wrong with Resident Evil, MarioKart DD, Metroid Prime, Windwaker...etc etc
    It's the cheapest of all the consoles, and the graphics are the best.
    ...so what if i'm bored, and ordinary?...

currently playing: Super Mario 64 DS, ICO (grrrr....)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nil
    and the graphics are the best.
    waaah??
    The xbox has the most powerful graphics processor. You have got to check out the graphics in Splinter Cell! Such awesome lighting and details

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlo-mo
    Gamecube.
    oh hell yeah. follow your heart and go for nintendo. the god of video games. fact.

anyone who appreciates quallity games will go for gamecube

peace
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Denart
    waaah??
    The xbox has the most powerful graphics processor. You have got to check out the graphics in Splinter Cell! Such awesome lighting and details

yes it may have a better graphics processor but, the level of skill of the programmers of a lot of games for xbox isn't quite up to par, though i am looking foraward to beautiful titles like "halo 2" and "conkers:locked and reloaded"

honestly i think that the gamecube has a lot of smoother looking, and playing, games due to the awesomeness of the game programmers

but yea that's just my opinion, haha if i were to have it a certain way it'd be ps2's, xbox's, and gamecubes for all!

Thanks
    PS2 is for RPG'ers (FF games and such)
    Xbox is for FPS (Halo, Unreal...you know them)
    Gamecube games look more childish, but lets face it, Nintendo games are just fun.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AnarchyAo2
    Gamecube games look more childish...
    Xbox & PS2 Any Point??!
    Xbox & PS2 Any Point??!
    Xbox & PS2 Any Point??!
    Xbox & PS2 Any Point??!
    Xbox & PS2 Any Point??!
    Xbox & PS2 Any Point??!
    Xbox & PS2 Any Point??!

yep, so childish... ^-^

but your right, so much fun ^-^

peace
    » sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Hi everybody, thanks for all the replies, although not much help, I didn't really expect this to turn into a war of which has better graphics. Maybe I'll throw this question out there to try and catch responses that will help in my final decision.
    OK how does the future look for both PS2 and Xbox. long short..any other info that would be relavant. thanks. I am really not an RPG fan at all, I just can't sit down and play them at all. So maybe Xbox is leaning more my way, please more more lol

Thanks
    the last great xbox games will include Halo 2, Half Life 2, Conker, Fable.

The online playing on the xbox will GREATLY enhance its life exeptancy

Especially Halo 2 (also the last Halo game! yeah, Bungie's moving onto other titles) EVERYBODY will be playing Halo 2 online years after xbox 2 is released!

Starcraft is still being played by thousands online and that game came out in '98

Thanks
    Okay, I'm probably not an objective source of information, but anyway...
    Get an xbox with a modchip and a bigger hard drive (you can have up to 120 GB). The install another dashboard and get xbox media center (you'll have to find a compiled version, but that shouldn't be too hard if you know what you're doing [and if you don't - you can always ask someone where you can find it...heh] ).
    Xbox media center is great. Since you won't have a computer, you can store MP3s (and other audio formats - it has support for quite a few...), videos and pictures of all kinds and play/view them. And even more awesome - if you're connected to some kind of network and/or the internet, you can play streams (got a favorite internet radio channel? add it!) or connect to shared folders of different kinds.
    There's one problem, though...you will need a computer to configure and update it (all is done via FTP). But if you're connected to some kind of network you can always ask someone with a computer to help you download new versions and modify the configuration file.

As for games...I don't play very much, but I do enjoy both Halo (though it's a bit repetitive IMHO) and Splinter Cell. Not to mention Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic which I think is better suited as a console game than as a PC game. There are also some neat rally and beat-em-up games (Kung-Fu Chaos has to be the funniest of them - it is wicked and has a few elements from Super Smash Bros. Melee)...as well as sports games, but I guess they're available on all platforms
    And, as mentioned earlier in the thread, there are some very promising titles coming, including Fable and Halo 2.

If you're looking for a console which is a bit more than just a console, get the xbox. It is my media center...music and videos are stored on my server, and I use the xbox to play them

Thanks
    cool, that really sounds neato, although maybe a bit too confusing for me lol.
    Heres a question: Although nobody may know the true answer to this, Lets say I buy the Xbox, and in a year or so Xbox2 comes out, do you think production of new Xbox games will still hit the market? Or will the original Xbox games slack off and just be playable on the Xbox too, like PS and PS2 compatibility? bye.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowball
    cool, that really sounds neato, although maybe a bit too confusing for me lol.
    Heres a question: Although nobody may know the true answer to this, Lets say I buy the Xbox, and in a year or so Xbox2 comes out, do you think production of new Xbox games will still hit the market? Or will the original Xbox games slack off and just be playable on the Xbox too, like PS and PS2 compatibility? bye.
    Good question. I guess the Xbox 2 will be able to play Xbox games - if not they're pretty stupid. When the xbox 2 is released there won't be as many new xbox games as before. But considering that there are emulators for lots of platforms (like NES, SNES and GBA), you don't have to worry about having too few games to play - at least if you think old 2D games are cool

Buy a console now or wait two years for a new one to be released...that's the question
    It's just as it is with computers - it is never the right time to buy one

Thanks
    That was the perfect quote. "It is never the right time to buy one" , your definatly right. Ya I think I may get price checking at my local Wal Mart soon. Since I am off to my apartment in 2 days. I think the Xbox would be handy in keeping me company. But maybe Price will be the deciding factor in this one. lol

Thanks
    I own GameCube & PS2 and I say PS2 (or GC).
    Don't go with the crapboX.
    darkcult

Thanks
    check out xboxrepairguide.com
    also xbox is, as far as i know, the only system where you can have someone mod your case and controllers and make them all badass looking.

as far as the compatibility with xb2 and xb, the answer right now is no. the xb2 is not going to have a harddrive and is going with a different video card (i think they have nvidia now and are going with ATI or vise versa).

i have all 3, GC gets the least action. ps2 has a lot of good games PLUS you get the added benefit of playing all your old PS1 games on it. i just got the xbox for my bday a month ago and am highly enjoying it. i'd say get the PS2 and if you've got the cash, get an xbox

no need to worry about the nextgen systems, they are at least a year or 2 away and most of the launch titles won't be that good, i'd pick up the PS3 and xb2 when the 2nd gen games come out.
    of the

Thanks
    X-Box has the least solid hits. The games they do have are really good, though some (Halo espeically gets repetive really really quickly). The future of the X-Box looks good, but a very slow good. This is the most expensive route to go by.

PS2 has by far the most games. It's been out the longest, so it's library is huge. But because it came out first it's so much weaker then the X-Box and the Gamecube. The PS2 has already passed it's Golden Days, espically since the PS3 is already out in Japan. As far as selection out already goes, this is the best choice.

Gamecube has a good amount of great games, most of them are very replayable, and it's extremmly powerful, not as powerful as the X-box but plenty more powerful the the PS2. The future is starting to look alot better, alot of games that have just come out or are coming soon. This is the cheapest route and still have plenty of great games.

All of them of course are great.

Thanks
    i like my ex box. i recommend an ex box with the controler-s. the weight feels good, it just feels more sturdy.

shorter load times for the most part. and i just prefer the xbox. i'm not a fanboy or anything, i'd just recommend the xbox more because i likes it a lots.
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Thanks

Well.. what kinda games do you enjoy? It would help to know, to recommend a console since such a wide variaty is out...

It sounds as if you're a Vanilla-Gamer that's going to chunk out a good $200 for a console and two random "players choice $19.95" ... get about 30 minutes into each, and never touch a console again untill its successor is down to $145.
    .... If this is the case then both the PS2 and Xbox mainly cater to that demographic, so it's a toss-up... And I might say "save your cash!"

It sounds as if you're looking mostly towards single-player games... And as far as my experience goes (a shitload of games) I haven't found anything that tops the Gamecube... Metroid, Zelda, Resedent Evil, Killer 7, Pikmin, Viewtifull Joe, Baten Kaitos, Mario etc...
    I actually beat most of my Gamecube games, since I am more into single-player games...

The Xbox has a heaping ton of shitty games, with a handfull of revolutionary games you can get your hands on... It offers the best online package, so if you wanna get online with a console you can't beat the Xbox.

The PS2 had a great run... But we have to face it, it's really really really dead...... But there are tons of great games you can scrap up for cheap these days.
    And something to keep in mind is that most developers have already gotten their PS3 development-kits and are making games for it now.

You should go to some electronic stores, and play all the demo games at the kiosks and see what you like best.

And as a general rule processing power is of no relavance to console games, since each is unique and the games are nicely optomized to their respective console ... But a big red-flag is usually the console that boasts the 'highest' processing power, since it is most commonly run by the most $ grubbing corporation that forces its publishers to cut development periods in half and focus their games towards a 'spot-buying' audience... (The TG-16, and SegaGenesis both had twice the processing power of the SNES.... and we know the SNES had better visuals ---> Yoshi's Island anyone!?)

AND DON'T SHY AWAY FROM HANDHELD GAMES!!!!! They're cheap and you can play them in the bath-tub and in the bed!! editor's choice GBA games

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HugeHarHar
    ...since the PS3 is already out in Japan..
    what?
    are you coming from the future?
    darkcult

Thanks

Thanks

Smile

I love RPG titles... >_<
    So I got my self a PS2.
    Hadn't regret it since.

Go for it!

PS, actually the game that we(my friends and me) most played was Onimusha3. The Only RPG that I've finished was Dragon Quarter.
    I had Tales of Destiny2 for a while now, but hadn't got time to dive in it.
    Oh well, work first then.

Thanks
    There are obvious good reasons for all Three...

Well too me anyways...

Xbox ...Heh. Stritckly for Halo, Halo 2 and I would probably buy Doom3 and Half Life 2 for this rather than my Puter. Also the DVD player is waaaay better than my bootleg PS2 DVD player. 'sigh' soo bootleg. It plays what DVD's it wants to. arrg.

PS2 Metal Gear Solid , Final Fantasy and Tekken. That's enough for me but, there are many others...

GameCube Tons of fun Party games. Yeah they are Cute games but, still really fun. I lose my throat playing Monkey Ball. heh.

Actually I'm not sure how relevant any of that is since all my Systems just sit there and collect dust. But, I may go panhandle for an Xbox just so I can play some Halo 2!!!

-Joshua

Thanks
    Hello everybody, thanks for all the replies. Havn't replied in a long while because I was off to my first week of college with no puter to get at. I'll be home on most weekends so I'll try to contribute when I can. Now to my dilemma. To answer Sammys' flurry of questions.
    * The type of games I prefer would be action, espionage, shooting, and wrastlin lol. Games that I have played on some newer systems that I have really enjoyed have been Smackdown "Here Comes The Pain", Splinter Cell "Pandora Tomorrow", the new MOHAA games lol, umm NFSUG, to name a few. Mostly played at a friends house. So if that helps any.
    Another thing, my main reason for wanting to get a system now is the fact that I am alone in a basement apartment, with nobody to keep me company so after my hours of study and work, I will need something to keep me from going insane. I figure a good gaming system with several fun games will do the trick. I happened to play Splinter Cell actually, and after playing the first few levels in that game, I believe thats what got me soo excited about needing a gaming system lol. I leave again Monday afternoon, so once out to Gander I may try and pick one up. I think it may come down to price, and package. and I'll definitly try and grab up splintercell or rastlin with it lol. If this helps in any way. lol ttyl

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 254 Posts
    gamecube.