Busted Droid: Finished 9-3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow Busted Droid: Finished 9-3

Hey there...here's another WIP for my friends RPG. This will be a half page illo...based on the description he gave me, I think it's supposed to illustrate the Repair skill or something. Anyways...I'm a slow bastard..taken me probably 3+ hours to get this far.

I just noticed that it's still pretty light on my monitor here at work. I think I need to calibrate my monitor at home. But other than that, I think I'm just down to trying to clean it up.

Appreciate any crits.

Last edited by fukifino; September 4th, 2004 at 12:37 AM.
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would reduce the light on the arm on the wall and the robot on the floor to centre the attention on the girl more. Perhaps more overall dark picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you could practice anatomy a little more.. the structure of the womans body and skull is a little off.. also your lacking any hard edges in this.. everything has a sort of blurry edge to it.. the first thing I would do to improve this would be to pick some edges and tighten them up.. the robot parts especcially.. they are metal and shoud have very hard edges.. .

you have the right idea with the cast shadow on the back wall but I think it would be much larger and streched out if the only light source (the spark ) is in her lap. I could probably recommend a few books for this problem. . good luck and have fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is just a note about your shadows. You are doing the right thing on the left-side leg. The shadows are moving across the form, so it looks like the leg has volume.
    You need to do this on the arm also. The shadows are moving down the arm here and it kind of flattens it. Make them follow the curve around the arm and the arm will look more rounded.

best,
    emily

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks a little rigid man, and if the light in the middle is the only source it should be STRONG! but thats a tough one, i'm having a little trouble widit too.

"I watch everything I hate I love everything"
    sketchbook thread
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Carnalizer: Agreed...I tried to move the values around to being focusing on the girl more.

teyekanik: I started tightening up the drawing and the edges and altered the shadow on the wall...tell me..does it read, the way I've broken it at the right side of the image, that there's a sort of shelf there at about her elbow level? And I also fixed a problem that was bugging me..namely her saggy chest.

Any particular anatomy issues you can point out? I wanted to get some ref pictures from a friend, but she was unavailable so I've sort of been working with some random refs I have lying around. None is perfect though.

emily g: Agreed about the shadows on the arm. Is it working any better now?

steak: Yeah...single light source is kinda wonky, especially when it's kind of small and oddly placed like this. But I'm determined to make it work! Thanks for the comments.

OK, here's the update. Spent a few more hours on it tonight. Also got some advice from the IRC peeps. Thanks everyone for your help.

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alot!!!!! better man.. My eye can easily trvel through the drawing now.. .

still some work on anatomy might be needed.. but a BIG improvement..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    big improvement! now fix that elbow to the viewer's right.

"I watch everything I hate I love everything"
    sketchbook thread
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alrighty! Worked on it for another hour or so tonight...grabbed a mirror and wrassled with the hands, fixed up some of the facial features, got rid of some of the cut/paste lines when I was tweaking things, solidified the light a bit more, hopefully fixed the elbow issue?

I think at this point I'm just gonna try to clean up a bit and call it done. Due to time constraints I have to shove this one out and start a new one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool. the grasping hand is very effective and believable.. I'd suggest maybe using a texture for the boards in the wall and floor.. that arm hanging is still not registering with me.. but go ahead and put it away and apply it to your next pic... gj

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, the shading on the arm is much better now. I really like how you changed the shape of the shadow casting onto it. It's much more interesting to look at.

best,
    emily

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welp....I think this is probably the final result. I wish I had the time (and skill!) to bring these to a high polish, but I don't...so...

If anyone notices anything glaring, please point it out. Maybe I'll have time to fix it before I have to turn them all in.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.