Thread: Art Classes.

Thanks

Art Classes.

am i the only one here who thinks that art classes shouldn't exist? (taking it to extremes.) for beginners, a class could prove helpful i suppose. but how could somone "teach" art. art is expression, (though it varies from person to person). what are this communites views on art classes? (i personaly hate them, lol.)
    I'm Burning A Hole In Your Mind...

Criticism Encouraged

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Well you are talking about fine art. Some people think it is better to ignore what others say there.
    But there is also illustration and conceptual art which has not much to do with fine art.

You want to achieve something there and experienced artists can teach techniques.
    You'd have to be very talented (talented does not equal skilled) to learn how to achieve something on your own.

Look at the inspiring "art" here. You won't get there without knowing the art basics.
    Don't think about them as rules. Think about them as tools.

Thanks
    having re-read this, i woke up in a bad mood. but you have some good points, especially about the art on this site being inspiring.

Criticism Encouraged

Thanks
    After two year of losing my times(well, 1 year of drawing, but still), I'm back to school. I will learn lot of think I will never look out otherwise : art history, sociology, psychology, business practice, some musical class, some semiology class and for most of the time, I will draw with model. Teacher will be there to help me progress : look, here we try to have good crits to evolve, why is that different in school?
    I don't know why you hate art classes. I think you don't see them in a good point of view Teacher don't teach you "art". They can't. They help you learn art, not the same thing

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Art classes aren't there to trap you within a mold but expand your horizons. I've been taking drawing and design classes for the last year and if anything I've discovered that they've helped me break habbits that I had gotten myself into. It's also great to be able to expose your work to peers and teachers and have them tell you to your face what they like and what they don't. Their purpose isn't to make you conform to a stylistic norm but expose you to possibilities and techniques that you wouln't normally consider. What you do with that is up to you but if you are not expressing yourself honestly, you won't do nearly as well.

Thanks
    im curious, how well do you know your figure? Ist and art class with a model a prime oppertunity to do that?.

pros
    1.learn new theories, light colour composition etc.
    2.have access to equipment in certain cases, which you do not posses
    3.learn new techniques possibly
    4.learn tips and tricks from more experienced artists makin your life tons easier
    5.in certain cases you have profesional models thta pose for hours on end, in a group this far cheaper then getting your own personal one.
    6.you get to be around other artists and get crits and expose you work, and gain insparation from theres.
    7. demos are like the best thing ever, there are so mayn little techiques and brushstrokes you can learn by just watchin somthing being made.
    ...there are more

cons
    1. ya might have a bad teacher/instructor that might force you into things
    2. ya might not get any of the above benefitts and it will proly suk
    3. you might have shitty people in your class but thats no reason not to learn

how diffrent is this forum? It does most of those things.
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    you all make good points. maybe its because any art class i have been in stunk either because of the fact that there was a class BOOK, or it was one of those classes where it seems like the teacher made a class so they could attempt to show off, and then get bitter when there are artists that have more talent than themselves. i probably just have bad experience with art classes. i DO plan on attending CAL ARTS in southern california, that might be interesting and i hear the main focus there is to help you make a good portfolio, anyone have any infro about that school? im just ranting now, sorry. this thread sounds really pissy now that i read it. couple bad days at school, blah blah blah. PS, i am in psychology as well, its crazy cool. .

Criticism Encouraged