Sketchbook: Layil's Mad Scribbles n Things... (huge DL, Updated Nov 24th)

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Layil's Mad Scribbles n Things... (huge DL, Updated Nov 24th)

Ok, so i finally got around to scanning my sketchbook. I was gonna scan the last three, but i took a look and the older stuff is already way out of date, so i only did the last one. Im gonna lay these on ya 10 at a time, so the slow modem peeps arent hit so hard, so check back for more older work here and there.....

The plan is to make this a daily, or semi daily, and PLEASE crit the hell out of this work! I know theres a lot of mistakes im consistently making over and over again, and i either cant see em, dont know how to change them, or just need a good kick in the ass. Thats what all you lovely folk are here for.

so, here goes nothing.

This batch are all done from life, in the street, in pencil or pentel ink brush pen.

Last edited by Layil; November 24th, 2004 at 09:25 PM. Reason: updated
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    nice to see you posting your sketchbook here.
    i really like your life studys, and think those are good ones, what comes to critics i cant say much, because lack of experience.
    still looking critters myself.. its hard to get ones isnt it?

Thanks

I admire your work

Wow, this is some really nice work, and i don't think you should get any bad crits, it seems to me that they are all studies and great ones at that. I can see that you understand how to build something and i am sure you can render the hell out of something if it were in color. I was so influenced by seeing some of you work that i had to see what your site looked like, but it seems like something is wrong with the index page? well, keep posting your work and i will keep looking at it.

Thanks
    great stuff, great loosenss. im feeling it. post more bro!

Thanks
    wow, great stuff. i really like the brushpen stuff. the woman in the chair in brush is my favorite. i ve found it kinda hard to get comfortable with one so i always like seeing people who are confident with there strokes.
    some nice pencils too... but pay more attention to line wieght in the pencil stuff. there are some thick/heavy lines that seem awkward. as the form falls away from the viewer or overlap, the line should be lighter or thinner the farther the forms are from the viewer. sorry if that doesnt make any sense. hope the crit helps.

keep posting.

Thanks
    Wow, replies already!

gee...

Jokisalo: Thanks man, yeah, its hard to get people to tell you what youre doing wrong!

Rollb82: thanks man. Yeah, my site doesnt actually exist yet. Ill get around to putting it up one of these days...

chaotic logik: thanks, i plan to!

flex mathews: hey man! yeah, i looooove my brush pen. It took a while to get used to, but its helping me correct my bad habit of scratching 20 incorrect lines instead one one correct one. still working on that... as for line weight, its been an ongoing struggle for me. All the way back in my first year of school, my teachers always yelled at me for going too heavy. Bad habits are the hardest to kill, but im working on it! any suggestions on how to speed up the process? you seem to have line weight down pat....

will post more soon! promise!

Thanks
    That's some good work. But there's something about the lady in the chair that was bugging me. Then I realized it looked like I'm looking at the profile and a 3/4 view of the back of the chair. The lady looks fine, but the chair doesn't look right in perspective.

My favorite page is the people in the beach. I like how you did the hair on the left most woman with the shades. She wasn't wearing a bikini top or did you just leave it out? lol

If you love your brush pen so much why don't you tell us about it?

Ok, I'm done posting... Back to drawin'!

Ephesians 2:8
    Sketchbooks Finished: 9 (Dec 17, 2006)

Thanks
    SirRon: good eye there. the chair is wonky, but the problem with inks is once it's down, it's down, so i decided to just finish it, even if it was wrong and nail it next time. the chick at the beach wasn't wearing a top. They rarely do here in spain.
    glad you like the drawings!

Here's some more!

also older stuff from about a month ago... mostly from life or photos, pencil, ink, etc etc....

random stuff out of my head, robots etc....

Thanks

The Bone Doctor Bids you Welcome!!!!

Welcome to the dailies ~ nice work ~ I drop by once in a while to see how you are doing! I am a people person ~ check my threads when you have time!!!

Thanks
    Hi there.
    nice stuff you have here. lively. The people waiting and the once sitting are especially good. nice feel to it
    I draw kids playing in the park mostly, cause they don't mind..besides, they're honest
    Check out my sketchbook if you like(no park-sketches right now though).

Naja

Thanks
    Good inks! I like your style man!

Keep posting

Freelancer Artist

Thanks
    Hey Girl!

So good to see you in here, about time too!!

Nice life drawing work - is it a refill brush pen? (gotta get me one) I love the lines it makes, pens are great for making you work harder and with no mistakes.

As with all people here, keep it up, look forward to seeing more (and some more robots!)

Mollyx

Thanks
    Hey guys!

Mentler, Elastic and Pichuerca: hi there! nice to meetcha and thanks! Ill be updating, so check back!

Molly: Hey babygirl! Got some good stuff going on in your sketchbook, but i wanna see what you did in berlin! lucky thing, i was dying to go... well, next time! I started using my brush pen after seeing Coro's amazing sketchbooks. I have a bad habit of scrathing my lines, and making too many where one will do, so i started inking to help break the habit. Problem is, then i forgot how to draw with a pencil! So, i switch back and forth now... I recommend it anyhow, just to try something new and plus, the feel of the pen is just addictive.

ok, so, here we go, the last batch of older stuff... some enviros done from life and some random stuff out of my head.... enjoy.

and these two are from tonight. Im doing illustrations for a multimedia project featuring tolkein and gaudi. These are initial idea sketches, laid over the photographs were gonna use. Heres the first one, more to come. I know the figures not perfect, i drew her all in a go, planning to go back and retouch and correct if i decide to go with this idea.

Comments appreciated!

Thanks
    verry nice

Thanks
    very nice indeed. i would hope you could capture some that looseness from your life drawing into some of your gesture drawing.

Thanks
    I'm still curious what kind of brush pen you're using.

I just checked your self portrait thread. Have you made any new ones lately? It doesn't have to be nude or anything like the other ones .... you're really cute btw ....ok, now I'm feeling awkward... lol I think I'll click on Submit Reply now

Thanks
    I love the woman with the skirt on this one: http://www.petridish.net/pics/16729/sketchbook-12.jpg

you gotta tell me more about this Gaudí/Tolkien project, I'm curious...

see you later!

Thanks
    great studies!

You are a genius with your crazy "draw from life mentality".

"I watch everything I hate I love everything"
    sketchbook thread
    site

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 254 Posts
    sweet lord, fantastic stuff!

the 'long' envoriment picture and the big lady in the chair(first dump) are AMAZING.

plz keep us updated!

Thanks
    Hi everyone!

so, tonight was sketch night here in barcelona and i drew 18 sketchbook pages in 4 hours! thats got to be a personal record of some sort. Granted, not all of them were worth looking at when all was said and done, but needless to say, my nazi "must be productive at all times" inner voice is sated, at least for today.... Ive scanned the 14 pages that didnt totally suck for ya'll to see...

but first: Comments!!

Liam.c: danke

Prostrate sunrise: wow, that is a compliment, coming from you! Im trying to stay loose on my imagined stuff, but i have a tendancy to freeze up when confronted with a "finished" assignment, or trying to draw something specific. I dont feel confident enough in my skills yet, and my mental image database is no where near big enough. As a result, youll see that the stuff draw out of my head will be alot stiffer than the life stuff, which i just channel without having to think about very much. In fact, the less i think, the better i draw, usually... that whole right brain/left brain thing i guess.. but it sucks for doing assignments! Im working on it....... *sigh* thanks for the crit though. LOVE your stuff btw.

Sir Ron: oh my. *blush* thanks. Though its funny you say that cause my portraits all look like different people. lol.
    I use a pentel brush pen, both the big squeezy one and the little one.
    been meaning to do more sp's, but cant seem to find the time.

Roger: thanks rog. The project is a dvd documentary about the parallels between gaudi and tolkein's worlds. They were both quite eccentric apparently. Interesting stuff. Im just doing the drawings....

steak-tron: thanks! you gotta learn the rules before you break them n all that....

Davi: thanks dav. Working on it, working on it.....

and now, what youve all been waiting for.... *drumroll*......

today's efforts: all from life to one degree or another, some with a bit of creative licence thrown in on my part.
    my anatomy blows. must practice more.

Roger makes a cameo....

thats all folks!

more tomorrow....

Thanks

Great Stuff!!!

Your filling em' would good stuff ~ keep up the good work!
    Check my threads. Should be of interest.

Thanks
    Hey Layil!

Long time no see! I missed you at the Berlin workshop, but maybe the SanFran workshop yeah?

Thanks for sharing yor sketchbook! I've also been checking out your daily portrait - keep at it! Love your live studies, lots of personality in there.

Cheers,
    Leopoldo

www.fabpics.com

"To achive the impossible you have to attempt the absurd."

Thanks
    very nice indeed!! you have a great knowledge of the facial bones and can quickly sense the main characteristics of a face! the only thing Id suggest is: try and get some more detail into your drawings...some of them are unfinished, i know, and whilst drawing fastmoving people its not possible, but on the others, some detail would make good even better!

Thanks
    mentler: thanks, ill do that.

Leopoldo: Hey buddy! yeah, i want able to make it to berlin. Been sick all summer and broke as a result. But San Fran is definately on the to do list! i figure i can make the $2K i need to get there and back in 5 months, no?
    ive started doing spods again, though not on a nightly basis. Im tryin to keep up with them though, they make such a difference, and now ive started tackling color too! eek!

ODT: thanks! Believe me, getting likenesses is something thats just now starting to come to me. Youre absolutely right that i need to do more long, detailed studies. Unfortunately, all my friends are too hyper active to hold still and im too shy to randomly ask strangers to pose for me. (ill hafta get over that if i want to use android and marko's "im an artist, sleep with me" pick up technique. ) Fortunately, the fall semester at my drawing club has a portrait session, so ill get my chance to to fully rendered portaits, yeay!

that said, Here tonights humble offerings: some more life drawings, and some elfies and wizards from the LOTR project. Trying to stay true to ol Tolk's vision whilst putting my own spin on things. These are still studies. Once i pick which sketches i like, ill blow em up, fix all the mistakes and ink em.

enjoy!

August 30th 2004

miserable attempts at inking, but hey theres only one way to learn...

thats all for tonight.
    the next week or so may be quiet cause im doing production on a short film building a set and doing artistic stuff, and were shooting next week, so ill post and draw as i have time.

enjoy!

Last edited by Layil; August 30th, 2004 at 10:27 PM. Reason: typos

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Layil
    Unfortunately, all my friends are too hyper active to hold still and im too shy to randomly ask strangers to pose for me.
    Hey I'll pose for you if you pose for me later, deal? we could even make this thursday a portrait only session and draw everybody from the group.

Nice to see you're doing more stuff from imagination.

Thanks
    Roger: Thats a good idea man. we need to do something with the drawing group anyhow cause its getting boring. alright, ponte guapo cause come thursday, youre my bitch! just kidding, itll be fun. i promise not to make you look toooo horrible. did you have any more ideas about topics for the weekly draw sessions? the only other person who seemed into it never showed up anymore. we need to find us some more concept artists... *humph*

Thanks
    last couple of updates are awesome. i still love your life drawings... especially the brushpen work. the pencil stuff is looking alot better in that last post. keep posting.

Thanks
    Flex Mathews; thanks man, always glad for the encouragment.

not a whole lot lately, working on a short film till thursday doing art production and ye gods i am tired. Im learning a lot though, so its a worthy investment of a couple of weeks, even if it doesnt leave me much time or energy for drawing.

heres the only scribble worth posting, out of my head and semi anatomically correct. Must study more....... if i can flesh out the concept to be something other than the generic demon guy weve all seen 10 bijillion times, i may even attempt to paint it. well see...

will be posting more soon, promise!

PS, for those who are interested, ive got a couple new spods up in my thread, done in leiu of sleep...

Thanks
    hey hey hey . Good wizard figure. I like the life gestures. Dont be afraid to do a lot more tone too!

Thanks
    Just a suggestion to get out of the generic demon guy concept, ever thought of having overgrown bones sticking through the flesh? or having more or less than 2 legs and arms? I have a friend who loves drawing demons and he puts out some pretty unique stuff.

Your SPs are coming along very nicely too btw

And thanks to you I'm using my brush pen a lot more often now. But I have a hard time working straight out black first without having some kind of underlaying gesture. So I just spend about 10 seconds with a really light brushpen and then going over it with the black. How do you do it?

Looking forward to see more from you.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.