Two little concept pieces

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I've been doing some work for one of my classes involving a video game concept. I posted on here before with a pic of a guy coming out of a ships hull. But for those who missed that one, the game takes place on a WWII destroyed used in The Philadelphia experiment. Should be enough info so you know where i'm coming from.

The first is a sketch i colored up in photoshop. I was trying to use a fast fall off and really focus on the position of the light source. I kept the edges real sharp so i could tweak the colors later. I'll need a few different renditions for the final project. (i think he looks like my grandfather)

The second is one i did entirelly in painter. Not many clean lines in this one, i'm hoping to go back and touch it up and add alot more content. That and the character's neck is breaking. But i kind of like the lighting.

Crits and comments welcome and appreciated as always.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there!

Nice images and i can see they have an idea behind them.

I like the choice for the crisp shadow in the first image, and the idea to make this guy a fat guy, we see too many superheroes already!

What could be improved is the anatomy (the guy'sright arm most notably) and the way he 'stands' on the ground, he seems to float a little right now. I also would like to see some detail in the background, even if it's really dark there could be some color/value shapes in there or some reflections, just to hint the presence of them and make the pic less flat. The tubes to the right are an example, do more of that, even more vague maybe, in the background. Also with a bright lightsource, he should have a shadow on the ground since it's coming from above. So: dark background, lighter midground, and add some dark silhouette foreground shapes to have three layers in the picture.

Second picture: why did you not finish this picture? Now it is hard to crit... Unless this is a WIP. Come to think of it, the first one has this outline toolbox shape in the pic. Try to work on the entire detail level of the image at once, in stead of detailing one area and kepping another area unprocessed, that way it's easier to stop working on the image at a certain moment since everything has had an equal amount of attention.

Please post your progress!

Power is nothing without intelligence.

Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool idea, doing a game on the Philadelphia experiment. I'm wondering why these fellows don't have uniforms on, as the people involved were all navy personnel? Just curious about that. I'm assuming this is a wip, so won't crit on the ship or anything yet, as a lot would depend on what state the ship is in. Is it fading out? Coming back or nothing has happened yet? It will be really interesting watching this one come together.

Art gives me a life of extreme challenge, frustration, accomplishment and contentment. Nothing less will do!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks to both of you for the replys and crits. To Erik; yeah that right arm was a killer and i knew it didn't look right when i finished it up. I think i'm going to tweak the pencil lines in photoshop, maybe just cleaning it up will help it out. I also agree that the figure is floating, after i posted i realized i should have had some sort of affect; shadow, glow, etc. On the second piece i'm not quite advanced enough in paint to get the detail i would like but i'll try my best.
    To Nikia; i'm glad you like the idea. I think it's a cool piece of conspiracy theory that is pretty foggy so you can pretty much fill in the holes you want and make a cool story. As far as the characters clothing i wanted the first guy, or both guys rather to be involved in the bowels in the ship. Down in the diry work. So they don't exactly go by the book. Also sailors don't really wear their dress unis while they're on duty.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok as i'm a newb i always pick my crits polite ..(but i always end up sounding like a complete asshole )
    i'll give you detailed crits on what looks wrong and what looks good as im a realy bad critter on overal look ...
    pic 1 : the basic lightning is done good , N1 NO is a black bg ! even if you dont have any ideas just trow horizon and some walls in .. now anotomy : his right hand as mentioned before is kinda screwd up and it has no wrist , left hand got a wrist but it looks realy messy , his biceps looks like they are hanging on his arm ... his face i like alot , proportion are correct and i can see that he is actualy around 40-60 years old ...now that fire thingy he got in his arm .. it got some weird perspective ..

pic 2 : perspective is correct so is position of you character in the picture .. but its realy a wip so kinda hard to say more ...

plz dont kill me for being asshole .. its just if i do finished works thats kinda crits im looking for myself ...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.