New Computer (yay!)
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: New Computer (yay!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New Computer (yay!)

Hello all, just felt like you all might want to share in my rejoicing.

I'm upgrading from a Pentium 1 with 48 megs o'ram and a 4 gig HD, which mysteriously runs photoshop realy well, granted it was v5.5, but still. As you can well imagine, almost anything is better than that.

Anyways, the new comps actually a barebones that I'll be beefing up in the coming weeks

Here's the specs:
    • AMD Athlon XP 2200+ Processor (retail $80)
    • Gigabyte GA-7VM400M-rz Motherboard (retail $80)
    • 256 MB DDR400/PC3200 RAM (retail $60)
    • 350 Watt Powersupply (retail $40)
    It's all in a generic but cool looking black case with a molded handle on top and a weird extra powerbutton set-up that makes the whole thing look like some kind of badass flashlight. And it's got a window on the side, which is useless but cool. It retails for $70, which the seller gave me a pretty good deal on. The whole deal, which was an advertised barebones set up was $279, so obviously there's no ridiculous markup.

My plans in the near future for it are:
    • Install 80 Gig HD (which I have yet to buy) and windows-ify it (about $80)
    • Install my graphics card which supports DUAL MONITORS (bought it used for CHEAP)
    • Get another monitor (17" for $60, used; Eventually get an LCD, bump the CRT to secondary)
    • Eventually beef up the ram (no big hurry)
    • Install (buy) Firewire card ($30)
    • Procure all necessary programs (Sorry, gotta do it the cheap way *cough*download illegally*cough*)
    • Finally get a freakin' scanner and tablet, now that I finally have something that can run them
    • And eventually get some case and fan lights just for the hell of it (Again, no hurry, and cheap when I get there)
    Granted, a Mac would've been sweet but when you gotta buy all your tech toys yourself, and make a commanding $6.00 an hour, you gotta take what's cheap. And I'm not a gamer, so my needs only go as far as wanting something that won't suck in a month, and can run photoshop respectably well. And some longevity couldn't hurt, meaning the potential for upgrading in the near future.

Maybe OS X Tiger will be IBM compatible...

sigh...

Well, a guy can dream, can't he?

Maybe I'll look into linux...

Hmm...

Anyway, just thought I'd share. It's not often that I get to do much bragging about new technology.

I'll let y'all know when I get it all up and running.

Last edited by PaulGanguly; August 23rd, 2004 at 11:28 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And i thought 14 is a good age to stop comparing penis sizes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Douchebag

Do I sound like one of those punk ass, 14 year old gamer types, who's parent's buy them shit to brag about in their xanga's?

No

I work for what I have, and when I buy technology of any kind, I use it to help me work, not wasting my time gaming with it.

Never once did I take on the air of my ocmputer's better than your's, and therefore I'm a bigger, tougher man because I spend every cent my parent's give me, and every waking hour I have, honing my killing skills with a mouse. I use what I have to sharpen my skills in something that matters. Art. I thought that's what this forum was about, not about badmouthing someone who works for what they have, and wanted to share that they'd finally been able to get something that would likely further their development in the LEGITIMATE, WORTHWHILE field that they're trying to break into.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulGanguly
    [...] something that matters. Art.
    something that doesn't matter. Tools

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look, I know it's just a tool, which in the scheme of thigs is not what determines how good an artist is. A good artist should be able to make a masterpiece with a toothpick and mayonaise. That wasn't the reason I posted the spec of the computer. I wasn't trying to say I'm good because my computer's good. it was supposed to mean I'm going to do more digital work now, not that that's all I'm going to do.

Look, you're good, and I respect that. I don't want to turn this into a flaming match, because that's just a waste of both our time, so let me rephrase what I meant my first post to say:

Just wanted to tell everyone I got a new computer, one that should run photoshop and painter better than my last one, so expect to see some more digital work from me in the coming weeks.

No big deal, just wanted to share.

And I posted the specs just for the hell of it. I, again, wasn't trying to brag, because my computer's probably not up to snuff with a lot of other forum member's set-ups.

Look, this thing's not a big deal, and it was pretty low of me to even start turning this into a dissing match.

I think you misconstrued me as one of those tutorial-regurgitating types who learn some photohsop filters, and learn how to scribble something in painter, and call themselves designers. I can see how you drew that conclusion, given the listing of specs and whanot. Allow me to say once again that I am not one of those people, and that's really all I have to say about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool. Barebones are pretty neat. As long as you don't want to upgrade them too much...or play new games (bigger case is better for air-flow...not to mention that it's always nice to be able to stick a video card in it - I know my Radeon 9600 card fits pecisely into my barebone. An nVidia card just wouldn't work

My plans in the near future for it are:
    • Install 80 Gig HD (which I have yet to buy) and windows-ify it (about
    If you have yet to buy a HD, why settle with 80GB? I believe you get the most for your money if you buy a 160 or possibly even 200 GB drive. I would get a 200 gig drive. Can never get enough of hd space...

Maybe OS X Tiger will be IBM compatible...
    Eh? Macs are not PCs, and that's more or less it. Different processors...different instruction sets, and other weird stuff you don't want to know about Of course, they could make a PC version of their OS...but that would probably be a pretty bad idea - then there's absolutely no reason whatsoever to buy a Mac...which means they would have to start making PCs instead...and since a mac costs at least twice as much as an equivalent PC, they would either sell even less than they do now, or make a lot less money. Heh.
    Get an OS X inspired skin for WindowBlinds instead, and make sure that you run Windows XP. That should be pretty much as stable and neat as OS X

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was talking barebones in that it was not a whole system. In my experience, barebones means an incomplete system, or one without an operating system. I guess to some people it means that it's a small form factor case, or a minit-atx case. You're not the only one to get that impression. Mine's a mid-tower case, with 3 fans, and TONS of additional drive bays.

As for your question of why an $80 gig, the question is simple:
    money :p

I've only got about $100 more that I can blow on computer stuff before I have to buy books and supplies for the upcoming semester, so I can't really afford more than an $80 gig for now. Rest assured though that I'll get more later. I wholeheartedly agree that you can't ever have too much storage. Also, I'd like to get more ram asap. I was running iTunes and Photoshop CS which I just got this afternoon, and I got a 'cannot complete the desired function because scratch disks are full'. Granted, I've probably got some kind of virus or spyware already, so I've gota work on that soon.

The IBM compatibility thing was a sad, weak joke. I know that Apple would likely never make a PC port of their OS, but a guy can dream can't he?

I do agree that it would make the product watered down, sucky, and full of holes. Just look at windows.
    Anyway, believe me, I'm a mac fan, so I know most of the comparisons, in terms of price and functionality, so as soon as I'm able to blow a good $3000 on new computer stuff, it'll be apple.com I visit first.

jetpack42 is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by magira
    And i thought 14 is a good age to stop comparing penis sizes
    shut up.

paul, thats great man. new computers are something to be stoked about.

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was talking barebones in that it was not a whole system. In my experience, barebones means an incomplete system, or one without an operating system. I guess to some people it means that it's a small form factor case, or a minit-atx case. You're not the only one to get that impression. Mine's a mid-tower case, with 3 fans, and TONS of additional drive bays.
    Oh. Well...barebone doesn't necessarily have to be a small box IMHO, but that's usually what it is. Anyway, I believe it's called barebone because you'll just have to add a few things to get it up and running. It's a case with psu and motherboard already "installed"...and the motherboard has built-in VGA, audio, modem, LAN, etc. so you don't have to think about stuff like that. Add a CPU, some RAM, a HD and maybe even an optical drive and you're ready to go.

Also, I'd like to get more ram asap. I was running iTunes and Photoshop CS which I just got this afternoon, and I got a 'cannot complete the desired function because scratch disks are full'. Granted, I've probably got some kind of virus or spyware already, so I've gota work on that soon.
    That message means that your harddrive where Photoshop stores temporary stuff (data for the open images, including history so you can go back x number of actions) is full. At least it believes that the HD is full. So that shouldn't really have anything to do with how much RAM you've got, although I'm pretty sure your computer would appreciate at least 256 MB more. That should make quite a big difference.

I do agree that it would make the product watered down, sucky, and full of holes. Just look at windows.
    What's wrong with windows (xp)? I think it's excellent. Sure, there are some annoying things, but most of them can be turned off in one way or another. And it's very stable...the only thing which I have had problems with is my dvd-writer...my barebone system doesn't like it - but that's a hardware issue (the drive probably doesn't like the special IDE cable and power connector).
    Anyway, windows is way better than the (PC) alternatives IMHO. I haven't tried Mac OS X, and even if I would try it and like it, I wouldn't buy a mac.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the vote of support, Jetpack, but for what it's worth Magina, er... Magira ( ) and I are alright now. We've resolved it in PM's, rather than turn this into a flame thread.

As for progress, I've already got it up and running. On it now actually. And I've installed an op drive (2, actually) floppy, and a 20 gig hd that I already had.

Yeah, the V-Mem issue was something else, and I've fixed that. It of course didn't help that I had a 154 mb image open, with PS CS set at 1000 history states. that kinda bogged it down. As for XP, I have to say, it's growing on me. I was using 98 on my last machine, so my expectations were pretty low, but I'm liking it so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As for XP, I have to say, it's growing on me. I was using 98 on my last machine, so my expectations were pretty low, but I'm liking it so far.
    Windows 98 is pretty bad...and ME is even worse. But the stability from the Windows NT platform combined with more user-friendly (especially for noobs) functions makes Windows XP pretty good. Lots of stuff is "built in"...for example you don't have to install a program just to be able to view your images in a quick and easy way. They're definitely on the right track and I hope Longhorn will actually be as cool as they make it sound

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SCANNER!!!!!!!

CanoScan LiDE 30, caught the floor model at CompUSA for $50. Sure, it's not top of the line but it's uber thin, and kinda a funy story as to how I got it:

It all started at about 6:00 pm EST earlier this evening...
    I walked into CompUSA, intent upon walking out with a scanner. I only had about $100 to blow on a new toy, and the cheapest scanner there was about $80. So, I walk by a Canon display and it says talk to our in-store representative today!, meaning someone from Canon was there pushing his products even moreso than the regular staff does. so I walk in, and hover for a few minutes, contemplating my options. At this time, who should walk up to me, but a fellow in a polo with the Canon logo on it, with a Canon nametag, hanging from a Canon lanyard aroun his neck. Yeah, this guy was the sales rep. So, he must've mistaken me for one of those people who can buy $500 scanners on a whim, so he starts spitting his very best sales pitch. I humor him, then explain that I'm a college student, and just need something that's gonna get the job done. The $80 one will do just that. He keeps pushing canon's cheapest one, which is still like $200, but I give him one of those faux reluctant sheepish "would if I could" type of lines. I tell him what I'm in college for, and that I'm not really in a position to buy top of the line stuff just yet. He abruptly, but respectfully walks away from me, in the middle of one of his sentances, clearly coming to the realization that I'm not one of the big fish, and leaving me to buy a cheaper, but likely far more inferior product. Anyway, the last thing he says is this "We had the LiDE 30's on sale here last week for $50, but they've been discontinued, and I'm not sure that there's any more in stock." As he walked away from me, I saw what else on the shelf, but the last CanoScan LiDE 30 in the store. And so, the game was on to dicker with a manager, and walk out with that thing for far more than it's supposed to be sold for. Fortunately (or unfortunately, because I didn't get to haggle) a buddy of mine was working, so he handled the whole deal, giving me the scanner for store cost (which was already $48.88) AND a 2 year warranty, AND a brand new USB cable which retails for $21.99. Here's our conversation about the cable:

Me: So, you're just gonna give me that?
    Him: Yeah, what we do with floor model stuff is give you all the stuff that woulda come with a new one at cost. So, I'm just gonna keep taking stuff off the price of the scanner till it all equals $50.
    Me: So how much is it gonna end up being?
    Well, by the time I ring in all the other stuff, the scanner's gonna be $38. Then, we'll give you the cable at cost.
    Me: what's cost on one of the USB cables?
    Him: About $2.60
    Me: And you sell that for $22?
    Him: Yeah, they're all profit. Think about it, they're just wire. Oh yeah, and the 2 year warranty. I'll get that in under cost too. So all you'll pay today is what we paid for the scanner, plus tax.

Anyway, I learned a couple things about retail then. It's almost all about lying to the customers.

God, I wanna work there.

Anyway, Just thought I'd share my little adventure with you all. I'll be making a humongous image dump sometime tomorrow, but in the meantime, I scanned this, and posted it here:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showpos...3&postcount=13

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.