taking my painting to the next level
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: taking my painting to the next level

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

taking my painting to the next level

Hi all, i just wanted to ask what the pros thought about this. I know its not finished but ive had a tendency to make my pieces blocky and i want to take it to the next level where it looks on par with professionals and wondered what you guys would do with it? ive been told to add texture? how do i go about doing that?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the texture, I'd look at source material for the textures u want, then zoom in and paint them with small brushes, and I'd add some sky whilst I was at it too.

Its a nice pic with a good perspective too. Reminds me of the old 70s style of sci-fi, very cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres an update, i added people for scale and tried to play with textures but still cant figure out what to do with the steel bridges. I looked at golden gate bridge for reference and it doesnt have much texture, is really plain n' smooth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you did a really good job on the clouds in the BG but the red building could use more work to give it a more believable feel.

[][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo Chen

I say if your style is flat (no textures) and blocky then just go with it. Make it your style. There is no "pro" style - realism maybe but that takes a very specific kind of talent... I know cuz I aint got it : )

Let your look be your style. peace.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find with architectural stuff the way to go is big, bold geometric forms (which you have--good composition btw), but then tiny little details. Instead of drawing 3 windows on the side of a bldg, make it 36. Same for bridge tressels (or ties, or whatever the word is). Use cut and paste if you like, or clone stamp, or just good perspective drawing, whatever works for you. If you can find a way to make it more abstract, and with a few brush strokes convey the impression of repeteated detail, so much the better. Oh, and throw a wicked white hi-light on that dome. Just my thoughts.

Swim, fly, draw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice so far, excellent buildings, nice sky. I dont know exactly, but Im leaning towards it is easier to make one BIG window, and then make alot of lines sothe big window becomes many.

Another one is to try and have a brush that makes a window, but that is more messy, and I dont think it would suit your style. Hmm, im trying that brushywindow thing myself, but so far not much progress...

GL

. . . F I G H T - T H E - B O R E D O M . . .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the main problem with this image is the scale of the figures - they're not working. Judging by the figures in the distance, the nearest ones on the left are way too large. That's throwing the whole thing off some.

My other thought when looking at this is that it's too symmetrical in composition, the way the bridge "arms" come at the viewer - you should skew the view to one side or another, to make for more variation in shape and size.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe make the bridges into tunnels with glass walls? Just an idea.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.