Thanks

Chaoclypse - Color and Light 1.1

Hey all, I spent around 3 hours on this, using Photoshop. I learned that light really defines the shape of the object, which may seem obvious, but I did not really get it until I did this. I found that the roundness of my right cheek was really defined through the light, as well as the shape of even the eyeball.

Name:  self portrait 2.png
Views: 1272
Size:  260.8 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    Nice start here. Please take a look at the portrait work of sargent, velasquez, zorn and rembrandt. Pay close attention to the direction of the brush strokes and to their size. If you can hit those marks in that manner, but fit to your face, the quality here will take a big jump. The brush strokes are there to describe form as well as mood. Watch for that!

Keep it up.

jm

Thanks
    Thanks for the input Jason. I studied the brushstrokes of the masters you mentioned and I found that in all cases, brushstrokes were used to define the form by wrapping around the face. Larger strokes were used to describe larger areas such as the forehead and smaller strokes were used to describe smaller areas like the bridge of the nose. Brush economy was most definitely a factor in these paintings. I will attempt to use this information to paint a better self portrait and upload it in this thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    I did a new self portrait! I think this one has much better proportions than my first one, which had a couple errors in terms of proportion. I had to do about 4 portraits before I think I somewhat nailed it. I also followed your advice and emulated the brushstrokes of the old masters, wrapping the lines around the form.

Name:  self-portrait.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  182.2 KB
    Last edited by Chaoclypse; October 27th, 2014 at 04:52 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    Ok...great job on the studies of the strokes and method there. Keep that in mind moving forward. You can improve this most recent by more carefully paying attention to the value range of what you see. You seem to be a bit grayed out...and a little more value range would help the work read more dimensionally. The edge where hair meets skin needs more observation. You have very hard lines, almost as if you had a helmet on rather than hair...so watch for that. Lastly, double check the direction of the eyebrow hairs and be sure you are more carefully observing there too.

Keep up the good work.

jm