Spare time to help a n00b?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Spare time to help a n00b?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Spare time to help a n00b?

I dug up this picture i never finished and I would like some help on it. It seems a bit empty and static, but I like the colors and stuff. Any way to save this from being static? Is there something missing that you think I could add? I was thinking a dragon flying in the clouds would make them seem less....uhh...void. Whatever, comment on anything, I'm all ears.

(but because I'm on a computer, I guess I'll be all eyes. )

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems like a banner, and I guess that takes away from a lot of what could be put into this picture. It just seems so small, like a tiny glimpse of the big picture. Also, the face and the clouds don't really connect with eachother (color/subject wise) so they both just seem out of place.

If I were you, I would start over with the same idea, but show the torso of the woman, maybe have the girl look at a dragon in the sky, or casting some sort of spell just to bring it all together. Also... bigger!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

okay

When I went into drawing the picture, I had nothing in mind besides "I want to draw a cool chick's head." After that, I waited for like..2 months to work on a bg, which is probably why they don't match. :b As for making the pic bigger, that's what I have been told by other people I know.

I like the idea of starting over. Despite the pic's oddities, I like it. Doing another like it sounds like fun. I'll try and go into it with more purpose than drawing a cool chick's head, though. I guess that's what makes it static, is the fact that she's just kind of like...standing there and there's no point to the pic.

Thanks for the critique!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think what's causing a problem here is the dark shadow underneath the clouds. It cuts the piece into two parts--the part with the head and the part with the clouds. It doesn't help that face is painted with cool colors while the clouds are painted with warm colors. The two parts seem to be painted in slightly different styles, also.
    I don't mind the size of the pic. It's unusual, but I think it could work. You need a smoother transition in the background to pull it off, though. I would like to see you paint the face with warm colors and have the clouds behind. I think that would be enough to suggest that perhaps the character was facing something greater than herself (and thus have enough emotion to hold the viewer's attention). Just throwing out some ideas here . . . hope they help.

best,
    emily

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it as is. Overloading a picture can remove the interest. Focus on one part an make it perfect. I think she could use a slight shadow under the brow ridge to describe the plane more and maybe bring the cloud level down further.

This looks good, do some more.

"I watch everything I hate I love everything"
    sketchbook thread
    site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The cropping on the figure is kind of bothersome. Its hard to focus on what the main point of the piece is. As you said earlier you wanted to make a cool looking chick. If that is your main focus then I would have moved her up some more and that might get rid of the odd division of the dark cloud that is dividing up the piece as well. If you are gonna redo it, just try to harmonize the colors alittle more and I think you will have a nice piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ya its so small so too much would overload it.. I really like it so far.. the only thing is. I would get rid of the gem on her fore head as it distract me alot from her face.. also I'd suggest a thousand spears bieng held up behind her as is she were leading a great battle.. maybe just the top of a few helmets as well. . no dragons though.. leave the sky the way it is.. it directs the eye down to the girl which is good. . .

add some perspective to the clouds.. and maybe break up the center line in the clouds as its a big nono in the rules of composition.. .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the replies! I forgot I posted here... Anyways, I'm kind of a n00b with composition and even drawing in general so all the crits are greatly appreciated.

Okay...so warm colors are in the front and cool in the back? Okay...The gem distracts...ehh...I kind of scribbled it as an afterthought. I thought she should be more mystical looking or something. I love the spears in the bg idea. I'm going to go with it, for sure.

I am going to redo the picture, so i'll be sure to take all this into account. Some people have told me the demensions or the pic are dumb. The reason why I made it so tall is because I guess I started out wanting to draw a "cool chick" but then as an afterthought tried to uhh...make it seem a bit more epic. Or something. Would it help to see more of the body? Say, to the waist or something? Or, should I go for a full body pic? I've never drawn a full bodied character, so as far as anatomy goes, it will be challenging.

Anyways, next time I'm not going to let the fg sit in a dusty folder and decide to paint a bg 2 months or so later. I think that's what made the 2 not blend in style. I'll also try and plan it a bit more so as far as design it makes more sense. I think. >_> Well...im all guesswork when it comes to design, so nevermind.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.