Filling cells in Painter 8.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Filling cells in Painter 8.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Filling cells in Painter 8.

Hello,
    I have used the filling cells method in painter 6 without problem. Now in Painter 8 the fill from the Paint Bucket tool, overruns the lines. I have tried different kind of Mask Threshold settings, and followed al steeps from the painter 8 user manual. I work with Mac OSX.
    Anyone have this problem?
    Thanks, and have a nice day!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

The way I was taught to do it in Painter 5, and continued doing it the same way in Painter 6 and Painter 7 successfully was to work with solid black lines (no gaps to leak color), then:

Use Select > Auto Select, Using: Image Luminance.

Choose the following settings in the Controls: Paint Bucket palette:

What to Fill: Cartoon Cell
    Fill With: Current Color

With the selection active, I clicked in whatever closed area I wanted to fill with color.

No matter what I do, I can't make this work in Painter 8 or Painter 8.1.

However, I can deselect the selection and click to fill an enclosed area with pretty good results. There might be a pixel or two in a tight corner that needs to be fixed, but it's better than not being able to do it at all.

If you need to fix a pixel or two, don't use the Paint Bucket tool as it will begin to overrun your lines. Instead, zoom in and use the Pens' 1 Pixel variant to color just those pixels that got missed.

Sorry I can't tell you how to make the usual Cartoon Cell Fill routine work in Painter 8. I just tried it again in Painter 7 and after double-clicking the Paint Bucket tool and moving the Threshold slider to 50, it worked perfectly.

No go in Painter 8.

Good luck,

Jinny

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jin, it makes me glad to know itís people like you out there, willing to spend there time helping Painter user like me!
    Tanks for your comments!
    One way to make solid black lines, is to take a copy of the drawing you make, and paste it as a new layer. Set the layer to Gel and place that over the drawing that you used Paint Bucket on. But it was better with the cartoon cell functions that we had in 6 and 7!
    Hope Painter 9 brings it back!

Lars

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

Yes, I thought of adding a duplicate linework Layer set to Composite Method Gel after posting my last message.

Glad you mentioned it here as it may help someone else.

Jinny

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.