Sketchbook: HeliosphanSketchbook (updated August 19th) [now with rabid bunnies!]

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

HeliosphanSketchbook (updated August 19th) [now with rabid bunnies!]

The first few pages are pretty old, from 2002, 03 and such. I am starting sketching again because i'm starting at design at CMU next simester and i have to get back in the right brain groove. C&C are welcome and encouraged.
    page 01: the structure at the bottom is from the fredrico fellini movie 8 1/2.
    page 02: the reference for the man is from a french film called diary of a country preist.
    page 03: a very old drawing, i don't remember what reference i used, but it looks like michaelangelo.
    page 04: i'm not afraid of a little colour in my sketchbook.
    page 05: these guys were to help my brother with a project he was doing in 3D.
    page 06: all out of my head, except i stole a little from Storm Thorgerson on the left with the take on the famous "Dark Side of the Moon" Cover.
    page 07: this was from a photograph taken by stanley kubrick of a german photographer he was working with on the still for "dr. Strangelove". The guy has such a astounding stare that i tried to capture, and failed miserably doing.
    page 08: i got some new prismacolor markers for school and wanted to test them out.

thanks for checking out my sketchbook and i will be updating a couple of pages each day until i reach my present state in the book. Once that happens, expect one page every two days (if i keep up with it)

Last edited by heliosphan; August 20th, 2004 at 07:24 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

the Bone Doctor Diagnosis!

Welcome to the daily doodle war ~ help us in the battle against the white rectangle hordes ~ they can be defeated but only if we stick together!
    Will check in on you from time to time and prescribe what I think is needed!
    Check the boneyard link or my other threads if you get tired of looking at anatomy books!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, thanks for the post and links Mentler, i checked those out and they seem like very useful studies.

Now, i got a little lazy today when i was scanning and decided to skip a couple pages and move straight into the more recent drawings (from august). I also realized that my colour profiles in photoshop are all fucked up, so my images appear alot darker in the program than they do outside of the program. This can end up to be very bad once i get into colored images. If anyone has any ideas or suggested colour profiles your help would be much appricated. To compensate for this, i increased the contrast on the next wave of scans.
    page 14: i used a reference for this sketch, i think it was Domai
    page 16: a tutorial page, two tutorials from fredflickstone on this awesome forum.
    page 17: not much to say about this one, i should fill my sketchbook pages a little more. (though the pages are only 5" by 8")
    page 18: i was working on a possible creature for the "creature thread", but then i was posed with some anatomy issues with the right arm. discouraged, i did some research on proper arm anatomy. with a bonus face study.
    page 19: get the holy hand grenade!

edit: damn, after seeing how these drawings turned out, they look horrible. i'm going to suck it up and keep the low contrast images. i might just have to replace the ones that look really bad...

Last edited by heliosphan; August 20th, 2004 at 01:21 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    page 20: all the references used are written on the page (all from stanley kubrick films). The idea came from Sammy's sketchbook. Someone asked him how he became so great at drawing little thumbnail sketches, he said that he practiced by drawing 10 quick thumbnails from a National Geographic. This inspired me to pick up the nearest book, just happened to be a book on my favorite director, Kubrick.

Last edited by heliosphan; August 20th, 2004 at 07:36 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.