The cost of art
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The cost of art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy The cost of art

I have recently come to the conclusion that if you are not already a professional artist that becoming one is next to impossible due to the insane cost of supplies and equipment. I am talking specifically of computer art. Photoshop 7 costs: $649. Corel Painter8 costs: $149. A Wacom Intuos2 (9x12) costs 469.99. Not including a scanner and the computer its self this puts the cost at: $1267+. While there are lower priced tablets I know from experience that the quality is not there compared to Wacom (my Aiptek hyper pen 12000u died on me for a seconded time). I have no real way to pay for all this stuff.

To become talented enough to get paid at a level to afford these things you would need much practice with them but until you can afford them you don’t have them to practice. See the problem? I was just wondering if any one is in the same boat and if any one knows a way to solve this BIG problem.

Member of Team Insect Battle X-Tream !
    <-Drop-Shadow Infiltrator->

The Waffle house sketch book.

Room 301!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you can get all this stuff (including software) at a considerable discount if you're willing to buy second hand. it's not like you need to have the lateset version of the software to work with. besides, you can always pirate it

...so what if i'm bored, and ordinary?...

currently playing: Super Mario 64 DS, ICO (grrrr....)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    check out the painter site and look for the bundles, they bundle painter with a 12X9 wacom intuos 2 for $600, that should save you some $$.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To become talented enough to get paid at a level to afford these things you would need much practice with them but until you can afford them you don’t have them to practice. See the problem?
    that's total bullocks. You don't need the latest and the greatest equipment to practice.

A box of #2 pencil and some a pack of copy paper will run you less than $10. Practice till you run through the 500 sheets, you'll have improved by a great deal.

before you say "you can't do art with just a pencil"...
    http://www.forumgallery.com/b_bellow.htm

student pricing will save you more than 50% on all the software. an econobox at your local compusa will be more than enough to do photoshop and painter work. a scanner can be had for as little as $50

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    even 600 bucks is a bit much. I work at a craft/art store parttime and go to school fulltime. Its going to take me forever to save that kined of cash unless I sell my body or breaking into homes to steal there TV and loos cash .

Room 301!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by hito
    that's total bullocks. You don't need the latest and the greatest equipment to practice.

A box of #2 pencil and some a pack of copy paper will run you less than $10. Practice till you run through the 500 sheets, you'll have improved by a great deal.

before you say "you can't do art with just a pencil"...
    http://www.forumgallery.com/b_bellow.htm

student pricing will save you more than 50% on all the software. an econobox at your local compusa will be more than enough to do photoshop and painter work. a scanner can be had for as little as $50
    Im talking specifically of computer art even more specifically digital painting. By the way I kill sketch books every month or so.

Room 301!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Then there are the people who just download the programs and so buying the tablet ain't that bad.

Sadly some of them probably don't buy the programs once they have a income supporting it.

-toasty

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Wafflehouseninja
    even 600 bucks is a bit much. I work at a craft/art store parttime and go to school fulltime. Its going to take me forever to save that kined of cash unless I sell my body or breaking into homes to steal there TV and loos cash .
    Hehe, so break into a place where you know the guy already has a nice mac and a tablet =P

Seriously, just practice until you get noticed by the game/movie industry and when you're raking in the moulah, you won't mind paying 2500$ for painting software...

Needless to say, I did not mean steal the software, that would be like ripping off artwork. Don't do it. The regulars here frown severely on intellectual property theft / fair use. (http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27896)

You may have a hard time learning UV mapping and 3d modeling with just:
    You may want to add a sharpie or 2 =)

Last edited by the_blur; August 18th, 2004 at 12:49 AM.
    Real Men use Metal Type.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you're a student, there are learning versions of photoshop, illustrator and maya for you. you don't need painter right away. and to get what painter has, you can buy yourself some cheap student-grade paints and materials that work fine. if you're not picky you can use a small tablet. i started with a 150 dollar one that wasn't even wacom and then upgraded. used ones are fine too.

when you're professional and work inhouse, usually you don't personally have to pay for the software. if you're freelance, that's another matter but if you have friends that can help you when you're starting out, you'll be set until you get some gigs and make some dough

cmon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

panhandle

You think any one would give me $ if I stand on the corner with a sign the reads : "Will Work for Wacom"

Room 301!

jetpack42 is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by the_blur
    Needless to say, I did not mean steal the software, that would be like ripping off artwork. Don't do it. The regulars here frown severely on intellectual property theft / fair use. (http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=27896)

if you're just learning, find it for free...or get the student/trial versions. a used tablet should run you under 300, maybe under 200.

better to learn to paint for real first though, then the other way around. why not get some paints? that'll run you 20 bucks. (get some canvas pads, black and white oils, and a brush). 10 bucks says you learn more for your money with that then with a 500 dollar tablet.

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You think any one would give me $ if I stand on the corner with a sign the reads : "Will Work for Wacom"
    lol, better watch it, wacom could be hiring and you would end up working at wacom in product design and engineering, money's good, but that wouldn't be where you want to end up =)

Real Men use Metal Type.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hook up

But if they hired me id get the hook up on the tablets!

Room 301!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hate to plug websites but this is great for buying software.

CreationEngine.com

Helzer is offline Level Up - All Access Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you serious about being an artist, you have no choice. It's expensive, sure, but not impossible. Really, what's the alternative?

I freelance from my house full-time and I try to put money aside to buy new software/hardware; however, I constantly find myself dipping in the stash to pay bills. At any rate, I still continue to save bit by bit.

I have friends that are in other lines of work and it's not cheap for them either, in fact more so. Case in point, a friend of mine is a dentist, one day he told me how much he made. I felt like somewhat of a loser, but then he started deducted his expenses, overhead, etc., and then I thought 'Man, that's depressing, you have to pay a thousand here, a thousand there, here, there, here, there, everywhere'.

I have another friend who is a carpet layer, he makes decent bank, but after he told me his expenses and overhead, I thought ' Gee, I don't have it so bad.' I don't have to worry about buying a new vehicle every year because of intense traveling, nor do I have to buy the expensive tools, licenses, rent or pay for help or worry about my knees going bad before turning 35.

So, bottomline, it's gonna cost you something no matter what you choose in life. Better make it worth your wile.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could probably learn how to digitally paint pretty well with free applications like OpenCanvas or GIMP for linux or I'm sure there are tons of free paint apps I dont know about. Wacom Graphire's are relatively cheap, I've never used any of their higher end stuff, but it is at least pressure sensitive and beats the hell out of mouse clicking.

Nothing really seems to be more important to people (at least it seems so) than solid traditional ability. Sure there are some things that photoshop and painter offer that make life easier for you. But these are things you can learn relatively quickly compared to the amount of time one will spend learning how to make great artwork in general. All of these programs are just tools, just like a pencil, pen, brush, etc. If you are already have a solid grasp on working traditionally than I imagine that transitioning to Photoshop or Painter or whatever program thats out there will not be that difficult for you.

Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im talking specifically of computer art even more specifically digital painting. By the way I kill sketch books every month or so.

If you kill sketchbooks within a month, do the following:

1) Spray your work with fixative.

2) Frame your sketched/drawn work.

3) Find a suitable gallery.

4) After paying ridiculous commissions (around 30%-40%), take your cut (mindful of taxes) to purchase your digital gear.

If you cannot do this, you don't need digital equipment because the real skills and abilities can be shown with a #2 pencil on typing paper. Galleries are easy to find if you are looking. Shop around, find a niche, sell your traditional media work and upgrade.

bat

----------------------------------------
    Sans la colère. Sans la haine. Et sans la pitié.

I always find myself instinctively arrayed on the side of the barbarian, against the powers of organized civilization. -- Robert E. Howard

Writer, illustrator and artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude...
    I`m 17 now
    I work since I was 13...not really hard work
    Then when I turned 14 I got another job...I still work there..It`s hard but pays well....

The money doesn`t grow on trees you need to work for it...

I always get pretty mad when people say I can`t afford this I can`t afford that....

Just work for your money....It`s not so hard to save up 1200 bucks....or euro`s like here in holland..

and offcourse like others said
    You don`t need everything brand new or all new versions..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool

I have recently come to the conclusion that if you are not already a professional artist that becoming one is next to impossible due to the insane cost of supplies and equipment. I am talking specifically of computer art. Photoshop 7 costs: $649. Corel Painter8 costs: $149. A Wacom Intuos2 (9x12) costs 469.99. Not including a scanner and the computer its self this puts the cost at: $1267+.<snip>
    Ok... $1267 any kid with half a brain can make that money in 6 to 8 weeks earning minimum wage. 6 to 8 weeks... that's not such a huge investment to get yourself the supplies you'd need, is it? And, taken care of, those things will last you years. You just need a place to plug it in.

My little brother (he's 16) just spent the entire summer working his ass off in the sun at the San Diego Wild Animal Park. He saved every penny he earned and probably has twice that amount just waiting for him to spend on something. Just get up and do it! Before you know it you'll be painting away!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The great thing about digital media is you don't run out of it like traditional paints or pencils. And you really don't need to update every time something new comes out. You don't even have to start with new stuff. (I know this was covered, I just felt a need to repeat *squak*) I used photoshop4 FOREVER. It came with the computer so I desided to see what it could do. All the new versions started appearing on the shelves and I just ignored 'em and kept learning how to manipulate my own. I used a mouse. I didn't even know what a tablet was till I got one as a gift. I have P.S.7 now but I still go back to 4 sometimes as a force of habit. And it's still a good program.

See if you can't find someone at your school or work who owns a computer like yours. I'm sure you could find a least one person with a version of paintshop pro or photoshop that'd let you load it onto your computer. Maybe an older version their not using anymore. That's how I get my programs. ;)

Best of luck to ya!

~Tiina
    www.DragondustStudios.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a tip, make a lot of friends, you'll know why when they are in digital art also.

"You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else." - Tyler Durden

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr8t100
    Here's a tip, make a lot of friends, you'll know why when they are in digital art also.
    lol tsk tsk

Real Men use Metal Type.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

first of all... I wish wacom's could be pirated. Then I would be complete

next, Gr8t100 idea is pretty kick ass, at least concerning the digital (computer) media. In my example, i have a friend who has everything I could ever need, like a scanner, a digital camera, and a mac g5. Now he's going to buy one of the pretty costly wacom's, so I'll just ask him to lend it to me... at least until I get one myself. He also has a kick ass cable modem connection.

another good idea, is wait for Christmas and ask your parents (if you are still under their "control" and if you are catholic) to give you some stuff. Work in your local pizza/burguer restaurant.... there are many ways in yould finance your hobbies

later,
    GriNGoLoCo

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nil,

I really hope you were joking. Pirating software is stealing, plain and simple.
    Stealing of artwork is a big problem for professional artists, and you shouldn't contribute to the destruction of an industry by stealing the tools that are used to make art.

Wafflehouse,

I feel your pain, but all I can say is: Where there's a will, there's a way.
    When I was starting out, I took a crappy job at a place that would let me stay after hours and use the computers, provided I didn't break anything. After I became relatively proficient (on Photoshop 2.0 no less!!) I maxed out my credit cards and bought my own set-up. Even the crappy Dell computers that you can buy for $500 today, are WAAYYY more powerful than what I started on. I added 16 MB of RAM to my first Mac, and it cost me $1100. That's right, I said MB!!

If you're in school, they no doubt have a computer lab. USE IT!! The only computers when I was in school were Apple IIe. Take advantage of what you have available to you. Become a computer lab rat.

Not to mention, you can get P.S. elements for $99. The GIMP is free. An entry level Wacom Graphire can be had for $99 as well. (They also sell refurbished ones.)

Art supplies have never been cheap. Take a look at setting up an airbrush studio. A Compressor, good filter system, stencil burner, projector, mask, two good brushes, and a starter set of paint and illustration board is going to cost more than $1300.

Boy, did I just turn into an old grouch or what??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Blind
    My little brother (he's 16) just spent the entire summer working his ass off in the sun at the San Diego Wild Animal Park. He saved every penny he earned and probably has twice that amount just waiting for him to spend on something. Just get up and do it! Before you know it you'll be painting away!
    I'll bet your little brother didn't have to worry about taking out rent from the money he earned did he? How bout groceries, electricity, water, and phone bills? Was he paying for his own health insurance while he worked at the Wild animal park? How bout car insurance? I heard that they don't just give that stuff away. You should keep these things in consideration before you jump up and tell people to 'just get up and do it'. Not everybody has the same options that your little brother had.

-SJ

I didn't do it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kmscottmoore
    Art supplies have never been cheap. Take a look at setting up an airbrush studio. A Compressor, good filter system, stencil burner, projector, mask, two good brushes, and a starter set of paint and illustration board is going to cost more than $1300.

Boy, did I just turn into an old grouch or what??
    The airbrush example is very similar. I networked and a friend gave me a 3M mask and a few dozen filters (I did do a painting on a mirror for his home bar, so maybe it was a fair trade), I use frisket (not cheap) or contact paper, no stencils and damn, it still is expensive. I just upgraded my compressor and that set me back about a painting. I did find airbrushes on ebay (estate sales are awesome on ebay as many sellers have no idea what they are selling), but I did buy a couple brand new as well. If you want the gear, you will be able to get it, it just takes the will (as previously posted).

----------------------------------------
    Sans la colère. Sans la haine. Et sans la pitié.

I always find myself instinctively arrayed on the side of the barbarian, against the powers of organized civilization. -- Robert E. Howard

Writer, illustrator and artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, first I would like to say I do not intend to demean any software or hardware company in this post.

Here is the truth. There are at least 500 accessible non-trojan fast downloading sites with cracks and serials on them on the internet. These are the upcoming artists haven. When you finish something with a pirated version of photoshop it does not stamp it and say PIRATE. No one knows you have a pirated version. But if you frequent the program and use it for profit, you have to show your respect because anything different is selfish and bullshit. The programmers at adobe work hard and deserve theirs. But I don't think and instant 700 USD down should be payed for something you aren't even good at or making profit. In a nutshell I say pirate away but if you make a profit from it you should pay for it. The prices are ridiculously high and anyone can understand that. As far as hardware, just buy it, it really isnt that expensive. My custom PC cost 700 dollars with top of the line everything, if you want the specs I will prove it but its 6:30 am and im not willing to put them out right now. A wacom graphire 3 6x8 costs 100 USD and a canoscan lide is the same price. 900 dollars for EVERYTHING you need.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woohoo! Bitch bitch bitch!

First off, pirated software sucks. Period. If you look hard enough, you can find an academic version of Painter 8 for 80 bucks...
    Second, it's absolutely true that ANY career takes a bit of an investment.

But here's the main point... you don't NEED most of that stuff. Who needs the latest version and the largest tablet? Sure, it would be NICE to have exactly what the guys at the big companies are using, but if it's going to dig so deep into your wallet that you're going to start making message board topics complaining, then ACCEPT that it's not possible and practice with traditional mediums. I view digital medium as a long term investment. If you're spitting out one finished piece every 2 months, screw digital and stick with good old traditional mediums.

You just have to understand that, if you're good and you work hard at what you do, you will get discovered regardless of your wacom size or version number.

Heh, that last bit sounded funny.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the friends thing is very very true.

oh, any my first tablet was a jamstudio jampad. a sixty dollar tablet. awesome.

work your way up to it, too. you won't enjoy all your new equipment until you can appreciate what you were lacking before. do without as to do more with. um. yeah.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SirJohn
    I'll bet your little brother didn't have to worry about taking out rent from the money he earned did he?
    Bullshit, John. I stand by what I said. The point was that it can be done. You know? As in trying to be encouraging? I was trying to put that mountainous $1200 into a different light so it would seem more attainable. Of course most 16 year old kids don't have to worry about things like you mentioned. I don't know Waffle's situation, nor did he offer it. Would you rather I tell some kid who's trying to get ahead that he shouldn't bother? "$1200 is beyond your reach, give up now." I don't think so. Everyone deals with life's necessities, but that's no reason not to try for something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.