Thread: Trying To Draw

Thanks

Trying To Draw

Hello there, My name is John. I'm a 17 year old guy who doesn't draw that often, but am looking to draw more often and better. I like doing pencil sketches and shading, mostly of females, but that's because I'm really only good at females. XD I would appreciate any and all critiques please. I want to get good! Thank you.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

This is a drawing I did a while back, just thought it was a good one to start off my sketchbook with.

Name:  CAM00413.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  102.8 KB
    Last edited by JohnW; October 4th, 2014 at 04:58 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    A couple more drawings here.

Name:  CAM00414.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  54.4 KB

Name:  CAM00415.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  59.9 KB

Thanks
    How about some Anime?

Name:  CAM00416.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  54.3 KB

Name:  CAM00417.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  46.5 KB

Thanks
    Everyone loves World of Warcraft.

Name:  CAM00418.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  35.4 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 896 Posts
    Nice start. Good to see you're drawing lots, however, Some of your ribcages are deformed in your sketches, and the space between the hipbone and rib cage seems non-existent in some drawings. Also careful with the hips, in some sketches they look prepubescent, keep an eye on your proportions.

The refferenced drawings look good, though you might be focusing more on the outline of a figure than the construction of the figure. It would probably help if you read up on Andrew Loomis, he's great for helping you understand how to construct figures.

Also, don't hide hands behind the back, the more you avoid drawing things you find "hard" the more that area will lag behind. I'd recommend hand studies. Either way, keep on drawing, good luck with the studies.
    - Sketchbook - Society6 - Etsy
    Cheers

Thanks
    Wow, thank you for such a helpful response, and a quick one at that. Ill have to look that person up and practice my hand studies. The body proportions is something I've been noticing as well and will be trying to improve that.

Thanks
    Hello John,

thanks for the visit to my sketchbook. As you stated you want to get better at doing shapes and shades, I would recommend you do some studies of basic shapes.
    The shapes you want to do are a mix of the three fundamental shapes: Circle, triangle and rectangle.

Circle + Rectangle = Cylinder
    Circle + Triangle = Cone
    Circle + Circle = Sphere
    Triangle + Triangle = Tetrahedron (three sided pyramid)
    Triangle + Rectangle = Pyramid
    Rectangle + rectangle = Beam/Cube

Do some studies with these. Make some (some are easier to do than others) set them in a spotlight and draw them. For ease of looking at the shadows, paint them completely white and place them on a white or light platform. Focus on the way the shadow defines the shape, look where the darkest shades fall, where the light really hits. Look if the shadow fades out or has a sharp edge. Really observe before you draw and you'll get better at this.
    Shadow is one of the most important ways to define the shape of your objects.

As you also commented on my ability to provide depth in what I do, think of the painting through the eyes of a camera lens. Sharp edges indicate the focus area. Lesser sharp edges can be used for more distant (or out of focus closer) objects. There's other things that help, such as colors (blueish hues seem to be further away, red seems to be closer), but do everything stepwise.

Having looked at your drawings, make sure you get a good grip on your proportions. Look up how you can measure proportions, learn this first on simple items and get more complex items along the way.

Then last but not least, drawing is an ongoing journey. To improve yourself, make sure you do some exercises. These will help you get better at what you do. The other thing on the journey is you need to make sure you enjoy it as well, so do drawings of things you love as well. As states above by Naidy, you seem to avoid doing hands, so do some studies with hands, just so you get the hang of them. Then have some fun and do a drawing of for example a girl with hands visible. It's important to find a balance between fun and practice/exercise. Finding the right balance is the way forward.

Also do some real girl's/women's faces, and also some boys/men, The girls will be charmed I'm sure.
    On a discovery voyage in drawing wonderland.
    Feel free to check out my sketchbook and leave a comment. I like the feedback to draw lessons from.