Sketchbook: Greyday

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Greyday

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Greyday

Hello everybody. I feel really weird making an intro as a long-time part-time lurker and novice, so I'll just get to it and forgo the personal details for now.

So, I've been working on improving, and as of late I've been addressing the one area that has been a source of intimidation for me in art: color. So, I've been painting and doing studies trying to understand form and color. The problem I've been running into is...well pictures first.

Attachment 2042129
    Name:  portrait_study3-9-21-14-shrunk.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  23.9 KB
    Between those two I did a bunch of studying, but still I have trouble getting it to be more convincing.
    Name:  bouguereau study-partdoneshrunk.JPG
Views: 112
Size:  24.5 KB
    Bouguereau study.

Name:  portraitstudy+shrunk.JPG
Views: 102
Size:  28.3 KB

And I've been failing on the face. I've learned a lot, but there's still a few thing that's lacking that I can't quite grasp.

Last edited by Greyday; October 1st, 2014 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Trying to update the thumbnail?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  leather study-edit.JPG
Views: 27
Size:  41.8 KB
    Yeah...these are a few things I stopped working on when I didn't know what to do next, and went back a couple times in between studies. I realized that I should put more thought into light sources, composition, and the fabrics the characters are wearing before I go all willy-nilly.
    Name:  kaijureddaggerfinal4shrunk.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  36.3 KB
    Name:  fight_by_night-edit2shrunk.JPG
Views: 30
Size:  48.4 KB
    Name:  pirateship0024wip2shrunk.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  80.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Morning! So last night, as I was looking at my paintings and pondering what had to be corrected, I got the idea of doing another study but differently. I blurred out the eyes and mouth of a supermodel (cuz it seems that the eye+brows and darks in the lips make it harder for me to judge the values on the rest of the face), then I did a value study of it. I then passed out. This morning though, I compared it with the other painting I did from imagination and checked for what's off with the one from imagination:
    Name:  ref_study_and_imagination_side_by_side.JPG
Views: 13
Size:  51.5 KB
    The first thing that stood out to me is that the size of the light source on the one from reference (left) is obvious, whereas the one I did from imagination is very vague. It explains to me why I'm not really sure about shadows and where to darken things up. Well, when I come back from work tonight, I'll apply what I've learned.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Studying the planes of the head will definitely help your portraits. Look for Andrew Loomis. He is excellent at breaking down the human form into shapes that are easier to understand, especially in terms of how lighting can fall on the face.

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  87.1 KB
    I did a quick overdraw of that last face to show what I'm talking about. Not only do understanding the planes of the face help you with shading, but it also helps with proportion and construction.
    Also, avoid using the liquify tool. Try to shade conventionally, you will learn more that way.

Another thing is you seem to be good at copying but dont seem to be retaining the visual information you get from studies. Sometimes after you do a refferenced work, try to draw the same figure/face at a different angle, or with different lighting, it makes you pay more attention to the subject AND makes you think about the construction of the subject in question. Be nice to see more figures as well, anatomy studies would help with your understanding of construction as well.

Good luck, keep on drawing.

- Sketchbook - Society6 - Etsy
    Cheers

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 7