Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Daniel New

Thanks
    This is another watercolor, i think it took me about 25 minutes before I had to head back to work.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Here's some perspective practicing in ballpoint pen i've been trying on things around my house. It's all freehand which I think speeds things up. But it also gets really messy really quick. So maybe I'll do some with a ruler soon.
    Last edited by arkhamalien; December 1st, 2014 at 11:54 AM.

Thanks
    Here's a J. C. Leyendecker portrait I copied. Its from aLevelUp assignment, but I figured I'd post it here too.

Thanks
    I got commissioned to do this in oils, so here it is. it took me forever. any critiques?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to arkhamalien For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    just for fun, here's a little slideshow process video that I made on my phone.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to arkhamalien For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Duuuude! That is so awesome! Man you really put some hard work and research into the whale piece. It was totally worth it as it turned out beautifully! Well done

Thanks
    hey thanks a ton Bri!

I'm really sad to see that you're leaving, along with a ton of others. Thanks for being such an inspiration. If you find another place out there you like, please let me know where that is.

Thanks
    Hi Daniel!

I'm really impressed by your studies, and especially your latest painting. All the work paid off!

The only critique I have is of the mountains in the background. They're following the shape of the whale creature too closely, making it feel unnatural. Additionally, you could probably lighten the distant ground just a bit as well, so that it clearly separated from the foreground.

I think you deserve more attention. Make sure to also post your work in more active art communities as well.

Thanks
    Hi Danial,

I really like where your work is going. I think my favorite piece is the sketches that break-down the interior of he pumpkin house. I love how you think about those aspects of your subject when you draw. Keep up the great work.
    For Science- Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lane. View Post
    Hi Daniel!

I'm really impressed by your studies, and especially your latest painting. All the work paid off!

The only critique I have is of the mountains in the background. They're following the shape of the whale creature too closely, making it feel unnatural. Additionally, you could probably lighten the distant ground just a bit as well, so that it clearly separated from the foreground.

I think you deserve more attention. Make sure to also post your work in more active art communities as well.

Hey thanks Lane! I really appreciate honest critiques, I know they're not always easy to give. And I completely agree with you about the distant ground being too dark. I realized that towards the end of the painting, but had already started glazing and couldn't fix it. I should've caught it way earlier. And with the mountains, I didn't notice until you just pointed it out, and now they're really bugging me. Should've caught that too, thank you... And what do you mean more active art communities? other forums on here or somewhere else?

Thank you ForScience! I appreciate it! I think that kind of stuff, all the backstory or unseen details are very important to making the visible part of a picture believable. I always tend to rush things and think "blah. I have enough story to paint a picture already." But my stuff is always better when I force myself to really think about it and do research. And its always more rewarding.

Thanks
    As part of an assignment in the Famous Artist Course, I had to draw a corner of my house. So I sat down for an hour or so with a ballpoint pen and tried my best to make straight lines, get things in perspective and capture a mood. I resisted the urge to straighten things up before I started. I was trying my very hardest to completely construct everything in perspective.

Thanks
    Hey man, your stuff is really, really great. I love those ballpoint perspective drawings. They are exactly what I need to be doing. I guess it's really mostly a matter of being patient and taking your time to do it right huh? Looks fantastic.

Keep this up and you will improve fast.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Agerkvist View Post
    Hey man, your stuff is really, really great. I love those ballpoint perspective drawings. They are exactly what I need to be doing. I guess it's really mostly a matter of being patient and taking your time to do it right huh? Looks fantastic.

Keep this up and you will improve fast.
    Hey man thanks. I really enjoy your stuff too. I think recently since I've started doing a lot of the perspective stuff, it's a process of first, getting frustrated and not understanding it. Then grasping the idea, then applying it. The applying-it portion is always the slow painstaking one which I (and i think everyone) tends to put off for awhile. But after just doing a few hour long studies of stuff i already knew but hadn't really applied yet, completely changed it for me and now its fun. So yeah, it's definitely just a matter of being patient and taking your time, but after awhile you don't need to be quite so patient, you can just have fun with it.

Ps: I really like your most recent painting in your sketchbook.
    -daniel

Thanks
    100%x100%x
    Last edited by arkhamalien; January 12th, 2015 at 01:57 PM.

Thanks
    100%xThis is for an assignment in one of the books I'm going through. It's painted in gouache. which is super weird.
    Last edited by arkhamalien; January 12th, 2015 at 02:08 PM.

Thanks
    This is a still life I did last night.100%x
    Last edited by arkhamalien; January 16th, 2015 at 11:26 PM.

Thanks
    Such a great sketch book , and that painting, wow! Keep up the great work!

Thanks
    hey thanks a lot @Mortimer Lee I appreciate it

Here's some random sketch stuff i did yesterday. Some frogs/toads, some Pan's Labyrinth studies and some How to Draw book stuff. and sorry if everything gets double posted, I keep trying to delete one of them and then it deletes both of them... So i'm not going to try and figure that out anymore.
    Daniel NewDaniel New Daniel NewDaniel NewDaniel NewDaniel New

Thanks
    That's one of my favorite movies and a good choice for making studies from...also animal anatomy...like a guy said earlier these are things I should be doing... so many distractions...

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Mortimer Lee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey dude. You have beautiful, well rounded studies going on in here. It gives me the kick in the pants I need to do more perspective studies. Thanks for sharing. Keep posting!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpysaur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks @Grumpysaur and @Mortimer Lee you guys are really encouraging. And I totally understand with distractions. But for some reason with perspective studies, we put them off forever when they actually make everything else way easier. And they're never as hard as you think. I owned the perspective book i have now for a year (How to Draw - Scott Robertson) and only flipped through it and wished I was doing it. I got a commission recently to do two paintings of NASA rockets. Which of course is going to require a huge amount of perspective. So now I'm desperately trying to work through it. And as far as the animal anatomy stuff, I made a huge list of animals and bugs and whenever I have some extra time I pick one and do studies in an attempt to build my embarrassingly pathetic visual library. And It's helping, i'd recommend it.

the first sketch is just doodling.The one of the guy in a chair was an assignment for Famous Artist Course where you have to make it a depressing composition using only that chair and keeping everything simple. its whatever. I suck at humans. The salamanders are from imagination and the caterpillars are drawn from pictures.
    Daniel NewDaniel NewDaniel NewDaniel NewDaniel New

Thanks
    Lovely watercolours =)

Thanks
    So apparently ConceptArt deleted the last few comments from you guys (how the hell that happens, I have no idea) but I just wanted to say thank you a ton. What you said was extremely encouraging to me. There were three of you, and I can't remember your screen names :'( but I just wanted to say thank you. I was actually super depressed about everything art-wise and the comments really cheered me up when you posted them. So thanks!

Here's some pretty random new stuff. I was commissioned to paint two corn hole boards with a NASA theme, so there's some sketches of that. Some oil paintings of planets, to practice both the paint and the planets. And then some gouache/ watercolor paintings of some characters from an iOS game my brother and I just released (called Unicycle Boy).Name:  Screen Shot 2015-03-09 at 9.24.30 PM.png
Views: 1437
Size:  660.2 KBName:  Screen Shot 2015-03-09 at 9.18.09 PM.png
Views: 1383
Size:  767.8 KBName:  Screen Shot 2015-03-09 at 9.18.46 PM.png
Views: 1418
Size:  993.3 KBName:  Screen Shot 2015-03-09 at 9.17.14 PM.png
Views: 1395
Size:  609.0 KBName:  Screen Shot 2015-03-09 at 9.34.00 PM.png
Views: 1381
Size:  647.0 KBName:  Screen Shot 2015-03-09 at 9.17.21 PM.png
Views: 1384
Size:  549.5 KB
    Last edited by arkhamalien; March 9th, 2015 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks

Thanks
    Your watercolours are just great, arkhamalien.

Keep developing - keep your sketchbooks loose I reckon. You are doing a great job with the scenes, poses could be a bit fresher, remember to try and draw the weight on each figure.

Love to see you traditional media - the pumpkin piece near the top is really great!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sybo View Post
    Your watercolours are just great, arkhamalien.

Keep developing - keep your sketchbooks loose I reckon. You are doing a great job with the scenes, poses could be a bit fresher, remember to try and draw the weight on each figure.

Love to see you traditional media - the pumpkin piece near the top is really great!

Hey thanks a ton man! I really appreciate the feedback. I will do my best to get my sketchbook more loose. Any exercises you could suggest on feeling/getting the weight of the figure down? It's a big problem of mine. Thanks again!

Here's some random little sketches.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-03-11 at 1.17.56 AM.png
Views: 1376
Size:  181.5 KBName:  Screen Shot 2015-03-11 at 1.19.20 AM.png
Views: 1365
Size:  347.4 KB
    Last edited by arkhamalien; March 12th, 2015 at 01:04 AM.

Thanks
    Here's a little time-lapse of that watercolor from earlier, just for fun.

Thanks
    Here's some preliminary stuff. An oil color sketch and the pencil drawing that I'll trace down to a corn hole board. (to anyone who doesn't know what that is, its a 4 foot by 2 foot plywood board for a game and it has a giant hole in it.)I was commissioned to paint this and I've been trying to treat it like I would a professional job. It's kind of a mash-up of Opportunity. One of the rovers that's riding around on Mars. I'm trying to keep it from looking like stiff NASA space art and look more like fantasy.

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 12.11.09 AM.png
Views: 1364
Size:  610.6 KBName:  Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 12.10.24 AM.png
Views: 1363
Size:  848.0 KB

Thanks
    Here's some random watercolor sketches from around town. These are really small. I do these on my breaks from work (about 30 minutes) so I don't have time for much detail at all. But they're really fun even if they don't result in a nice finished painting, and I feel like I learn a lot. (I also sometimes feel like I know absolutely nothing when I go to do these.)
    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 2.51.27 PM.png
Views: 1353
Size:  714.1 KB
    a little apartment complex on the river.

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 2.52.58 PM.png
Views: 1356
Size:  759.2 KB
    They're demolishing the mall I used to go to all the time as a kid. It's kind of hard to tell, but there's an enormous hole where the entrance used to be and a green "keep out" fence around the entire thing.

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-03-27 at 2.56.22 PM.png
Views: 1350
Size:  797.8 KB
    it's kind of hard to make out what this is, its behind a Staples building at night. I had never sketched at night before. Its very difficult. I tried to sketch how I saw it, and I could hardly see anything.

Thanks
    Hey dude that new piece you are teeing up is looking really promising! You are definitely putting in lots of preparation, and i'm sure it will pay off! The tonal composition looks great - but it might be worthwhile making the space and moon a cooler colour - to push it into the back ground and make it pop. Doesnt need to be a bright blue - just a cooler colour in relation to the foreground.

Thanks for the very kind comment on my sketchbook. I think i am sometimes a bit greedy with all this, and perhaps the stress does make us achieve more, but it sucks agonizing over it!

People have very varied goals with all this, sometimes i just want to be like the guy in Fargo painting ducks for the 2 cents postage stamps.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimonas For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast