Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Thread: Daniel New

Thanks
    Love it! Can't wait to see it done. Good thing you've been doing all those people studies lately.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahlia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Dahlia hoping to do more studies... You need to post more!! where have you been?

here's a little watercolor portrait... These are hard!

[IMG]Daniel New[/IMG]
    Last edited by arkhamalien; December 10th, 2017 at 09:13 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to arkhamalien For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    [IMG]Daniel New[/IMG]

Thanks
    Ooh I like Mr. Stumpy Undersea Man! Great color scheme. I find portraits are particularly difficult in watercolor. Maybe because it's the hardest to control medium with the subject that requires the greatest precision. Kudos for tackling that, lol. Looks nice.

Sorry for my lack of posting, I've been in a bit of an artistic dry spell lately. I'll try to gather up what I can from the last few months and post... eventually!

How's the job going? Working on any cool new projects?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dahlia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Dahlia thanks!yeah, portraits are incredibly hard in watercolor lol so many problems all at once... You need to get out of your dry spell. right now. Pretty sure posting stuff will at least kick you a little bit.... just post stuff!!

The job is going incredibly well. I'm not sure how much I can say about projects (or anything for that matter), but I know I can at least post some links like this and this. My only downfall with the job is that i drive an hour and a half to work everyday. So 3 hours of driving (at least) a day, sometimes 4. So I'm gone for at least 12 hours every day... so... no extra time for me. Looking for houses closer to work, but its taking a super long time.
    Last edited by arkhamalien; December 30th, 2017 at 11:34 PM. Reason: no

10. The Following User Says Thank You to arkhamalien For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I did these as an example for @DennisKessel but I kinda liked them, so here they are.

Name:  paintover.png
Views: 2183
Size:  309.0 KB

Thanks
    Awesome new pieces of work, I am really curious to see that comission piece finished, think it's a pretty neat idea. The stuff your working on for your job looks awesome, I checked out your instagram and it must be really cool to stand in one of your own creations
    Your critiques on the colour pieces were definitely very useful so thanks again for those.
    Also 3/4 hour driving a day is crazy, I hope you find a house closer soon, I'd go insane. Massive props to you for still being able to do any personal work with such a schedule!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis van Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Dennis Kessel I'm glad the critiques helped. And feel free to follow me on instagram and anyone else here too, it's DanielNewArt.

Here's a WIP of my Venus oil painting... I have such a hard time keeping the energy of the original concept when i do these. I get so timid and everything gets so tight and overworked... but i think its at least going smoother than my last oil painting. which i burned because i couldn't stand anymore lol. Im slowly working in some details from the top left towards the bottom right. Have a lot left to do, but i didn't want to go this weekend without posting something. It needs glazing to fix some of the weird temp changes and varnishing etc...

For some reason oil painting just frustrates me to no end.

[IMG]Daniel New[/IMG]
    Last edited by arkhamalien; January 8th, 2018 at 08:30 AM.

Thanks
    and some sketchy portraits

[IMG]Daniel New[/IMG]

Thanks
    Whoa the tonal portrait sketches are really cool!

Thanks
    thanks JoeCowan. trying out some new stuff.

another one

Name:  2018-01-14 15.10.24 2.jpg
Views: 1963
Size:  274.0 KB

Thanks
    [IMG]Daniel New[/IMG]

[IMG]Daniel New[/IMG]

long time no post... Miss this place.

These are a few that I've done for freelance outside of work.

Thanks
    [IMG]Daniel New[/IMG]

[IMG]Daniel New[/IMG]

Thanks
    Oh dude so cool! So very different from the usual stuff you post style wise. I'm assuming you found a place to live closer to work then? Because I cant imagine you doing those previous travel hours and still finding time to do freelance work Nice work man, hope you continue to update, looking forward to seeing more of the stuff you've been up to!

Thanks
    Hey Dennis! long time no talk. Yeah I moved a bit closer a few months ago. Went from an hour and a half to about 45 minutes from work, a little easier for freelance. The style is a little different, just trying to match whatever the job is, whatever the client wants and not think about my own style too much, whatever that is. These are pretty simple, kind of story book feel I guess and I can't spend too much time on them.

I wish I had more stuff I could post. It is very frustrating never being able to show what I've done... At work, I have a new drawing every day or two. Sometimes more (sometimes less). Sometimes I'll do 2 finished paintings in a week. But basically that means I have TONS of stuff. And can't show a single thing lol.

Ah well. The joys of the industry I guess.

And to all of you who don't have jobs yet and dream of one day entering into one... Of course they're all different I'm sure, but just be patient. Slow down. enjoy yourself... Cause once you start, you will miss the freedom of the studies all day. The feeling of cracking open a brand new art book, working on improving whatever skills you want, being frustrated with new knowledge, and dreaming of being whatever you want to be.

Thanks
    Hey man, ah that's awesome! Cant imagine how annoying it must be to spend 3 hours a day travelling, glad you managed to find a place closer by. And I totally feel ya on the rest, the freedom of drawing and studying whatever and whenever you want is pretty amazing. I enjoy doing work too but definitely looking forward to going back to university and being able to draw and study whatever I feel like. Definitely something good to realise as a student now, I'll be a lot more thankful Understand you can't show your work, is it all for one project or are you working on multiple different projects? What about the time-span before you're allowed to release work, like 2-3 years? Or a lot longer? Because you have shown some of the stuff you've done at work right? Or was that all freelance stuff.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis van Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I browsed through your sketchbook looking for a bigger size of your current thumbnail, and when I found it I'm like wow... talk about architecture details.... Is it finished? The one I saw on page nine seems like it's not finished yet. Did I miss the final in another page?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to edgarej For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Really nice sketchbook, subscribed so I don't lose this one

27. The Following User Says Thank You to stonec For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Dennis

I havn't shown anything I've done at my job. I've only posted some freelance stuff... I work on tons of different projects. It sometimes changes from day to day, usually week to week. The release time frame just depends on if the project is completed or not. If it's not, then basically never. Those ideas can always be reused for another project or reworked, so they could potentially never get released. The kind of projects we work on could take anywhere from a few years to a decade to actually be built. Projects get put on hold, switch hands, change completely, get cancelled, etc etc. You just never know... And I mean, it's just all part of the deal. It's really cool when things get built. If they don't... You still got to do some cool art. Nothing different.

@Edgarej

I think you may have meant a different page, but here's the link to the finished painting that's as good as it got. Looking at it now, I would do some things differently, but that's the finished piece. And thanks! i appreciate it... If you're curious, i did a blogpost on the entire process of that picture.

thanks! @Stonec

Thanks
    Daniel

Concerning "The Gardens of Selene." The real life sculpt is very cool, but is the only reason why you made it is to get an idea for shadows? How come you didn't do the lighting in your 3d software? I'm not familiar with sketchup but I know blender has a good rendering engine that could have given you a concept of where the shadows would fall. Anyways, just curious. Good job on it btw!

Thanks
    hey @edgarej

I built the sculpt to see the real lighting... 3d models just don't do it quite like the real thing. And I wasn't sure what i wanted, and i wanted to kind of sit down and play with the lighting a bit. If you look at the reference picture i took of the model outside, the shadows are so cool, and the lighting is warm in comparison, but not too warm. Even the photography didn't really catch the full effect of the sun. I kind of had to rely on memory for some things. Mostly the overall feel. Which is really what I think the hand built model is about.

If this was for a job with a tight deadline, obviously a handmade model probably isn't the way to go. And 3d is great, I'm not that good at it. But the real sun is going to win every time for an outside scene. I don't know if I actually achieved every effect I wanted to, but my intent was to replicate the real thing, not a simulation of a real thing.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to arkhamalien For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh I actually agree, doing live studies is waaay better than computer simulated studies. I was just curious why you didn't just go ahead and do a proper rendering of the 3d in sketchup. I thought sketchup has a rendering engine like blender's internal renderer or cycles/eevee?

edit;
    Ok I take it back. Sketchup does have a renderer. Your rendered image has the outlines, that's why I thought you just took a screenshot of your 3d viewport instead of rendering the scene out. That threw me off...
    Last edited by edgarej; October 10th, 2018 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks
    This was a commission I did recently from a friend for his Dad. He wanted a bunch of his dad's role models/ people he respected throughout his life sitting a round a table discussing "truth". His dad's always been on the search for "truth" and has never really been satisfied believing in one thing for any long length of time... Anyway, he wanted the table to read "what is truth?" in Hebrew. Kind of hard to explain without the backstory lol. But anyway, not super happy with it, but also felt pretty overwhelmed by it. Up for any feedback.

[IMG]Daniel New[/IMG]

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arkhamalien For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Heyyy, look who updated again! Image turned out awesome, you showed a wip of sorts of that image before right? It looks super familiar. Love the art style and all the faces, nicely done.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis van Kessel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Dennis! yeah I actually started it like a year and a half ago... Got put on hold forever, finally got around to finishing it.

Here's some very quick concept art I did recently as freelance. The purpose was to show 2 different lighting arrangements that they had chosen to see which one would work the best for a few events.

[IMG]Daniel New[/IMG]

[IMG]Daniel New[/IMG]

Thanks
    My friend's a big Bioshock fan so I did this for his Birthday.

MG]Daniel New[/IMG]

39. The Following User Says Thank You to arkhamalien For This Useful Post:

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14