Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Line Weight

Thanks

Line Weight

I took a shot at line weight based on heaviest line for shadows, medium weight line for close and undersides and lightest for everything else. Opinions?
    Line Weight
    Steve
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, then to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat."
    -Theodore Roosevelt.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I don't see much difference in the line weight. Guess it is too subtle.
    Do you know the tutorial at AnimatedBuzz?
    How to Draw a Caricature
    Look at the "Darkest Lines" version and the one where lighter lines have been added.

Also I think you should spend more time to get the proportions right.
    What's going on with his left leg? Looks pretty painful.
    Guess that's partly because the overlapping line of the cape seems like a line that defines the form of the upper leg.
    His right knee looks a bit pointy. And maybe give him eyebrows.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Signature
    I don't see much difference in the line weight. Guess it is too subtle.
    Do you know the tutorial at AnimatedBuzz?
    How to Draw a Caricature
    Look at the "Darkest Lines" version and the one where lighter lines have been added.

Also I think you should spend more time to get the proportions right.
    What's going on with his left leg? Looks pretty painful.
    Guess that's partly because the overlapping line of the cape seems like a line that defines the form of the upper leg.
    His right knee looks a bit pointy. And maybe give him eyebrows.
    Eyebrows? *looks* Aw, man, I knew I forgot something! *headdesk*

Well it was only a quick something I dashed off to use as a line weight experiment. You probably don't want to know what I did with it afterwards. I was really bored at that point.
    Steve
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, then to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat."
    -Theodore Roosevelt.

Thanks
    A lot of people starting out have this and you do as well; Your lines look as if they were drawn by two people who have differing opinions on how to draw this picture (i.e. its as if you are unsure of where each line is going and where it will end up). When you draw, try to make your lines as guided as possible, never let one get away from you. It's this kind of attention to detail that will insure your success.

Thanks
    my crit would be that there isnt any line weight. you cant really go for line weight with only contor lines. you have to get some hatching in their to make the image feel like his has depth

again before you move on to something a bit above you i suggest to to just focus on anatomy and how the human body works. the guy has a huge, HUGE, forehead. infact its at least a fivehead or a sixhead try not to make the pose to difficult for yourself. forshortening the hand is something that is very hard to do for everyone. it looks cool if done right but in your case it looks like a stack of boomerangs. also your still drawing to iconicly. dont think of an eye as a football shape with a circle in it. get your self a loomis anatomy book and copy all the pics you can in it.
    -=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meDrawUC
    A lot of people starting out have this and you do as well; Your lines look as if they were drawn by two people who have differing opinions on how to draw this picture (i.e. its as if you are unsure of where each line is going and where it will end up). When you draw, try to make your lines as guided as possible, never let one get away from you. It's this kind of attention to detail that will insure your success.
    ::Nod:: When it came to his clothes, I mostly just threw an outfit together. Also, I think the paper I use bleeds the ink through. That might be why the lines look shaky.

Of course, I've never been accused of having a light touch either. *Shrug* I'll work on it, that's all I can say.
    Steve
    -Theodore Roosevelt.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by |NTeRN
    my crit would be that there isnt any line weight. you cant really go for line weight with only contor lines. you have to get some hatching in their to make the image feel like his has depth

again before you move on to something a bit above you i suggest to to just focus on anatomy and how the human body works. the guy has a huge, HUGE, forehead. infact its at least a fivehead or a sixhead try not to make the pose to difficult for yourself. forshortening the hand is something that is very hard to do for everyone. it looks cool if done right but in your case it looks like a stack of boomerangs. also your still drawing to iconicly. dont think of an eye as a football shape with a circle in it. get your self a loomis anatomy book and copy all the pics you can in it.
    Hatching? *groan of dispair*

Ah well, at least the eyes look better then in previous drawings. Small victory and all.

To tell the truth, his foreshortened hand was supposed to have fingers pointing upwards. Now I just need to remember why he was supposed to be sqautting.
    Steve
    -Theodore Roosevelt.

On an attack ship on fire, off the shoulder of Orion....
    Thanks
    Give pencils a try. They don't bleed through any paper.

Thanks
    dude, you aren't going to improve in one drawing. you've got to do an ENTIRE SKETCHBOOK of drawings, then you'll see some improvement. you need to work on the quantity...then we can give you some more help on the quality.
    I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodrodius
    Give pencils a try. They don't bleed through any paper.
    I do use pencil. Blue pencil and then I ink over it. No erasing, just scanner settings and some tweaking in photoshop. It makes it look better to me, for some reason.
    Steve
    -Theodore Roosevelt.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jetpack42
    dude, you aren't going to improve in one drawing. you've got to do an ENTIRE SKETCHBOOK of drawings, then you'll see some improvement. you need to work on the quantity...then we can give you some more help on the quality.
    Quite true, quite true
    Steve
    -Theodore Roosevelt.

On an attack ship on fire, off the shoulder of Orion....
    Thanks

Thanks
    um also stay away from photshop. also use a real pencil. those blue ones arent the best for erashing or shading
    -=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast