Thanks

Jason Malinowsky (CPootue) – Composition 1.1

Here's my first set of value studies. I'm trying to keep to the 1 hour max time frame, but a few went over (with some revisited a few days later). Thanks for looking!

#1 Edwin study: I like how Edwin keeps the bottom of the frame darker and moves up to a lighter value at top. Seems to give the rock formation weight and solidarity.

#2 Lamplough study: The dark values are mostly on the screen right and are balanced by subtle detail on the left. Lamplough's play of silhouettes and lines are really cool.

#3 Mullins study: I'm a big fan of Craig Mullins and enjoy his almost controlled chaotic strokes and simple indications that seem to be just enough to read exactly what's going on in the scene. In this one, I like how he connects the fg, mid, and bg masses with the legs of the robot.

#4 Beirstadt study: He seems to get a sense of scale and weight by using the light snow to push the rock formation upward while using darker values to push it back down. I like the contrast between the small trees and large massive rock.

#5 Bouguereau study: I like the gesture of the pose with the lines of the heels driving up through the hips and spine toward the face. Bouguereau also creates focus by playing the dark values of the face against a light sky, while the body tends to be a closer value to the ground and environment.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Second set at about an hour (spent a little more time on a few), but finding it hard to get it accurate without going over that timeframe. I feel 7,8,9 turned out better then 6 and 10:

#6 Lamplough: Like the mid key and use of dark silhouettes against a darker background. I think my version turned out a bit soft, and I'd probably sharpen the edges and shapes some more given more time.

#7 Jones: I like how he draws focus to the areas of most contrast. I also like his use of various textures. It's a neat look, very similar to Mullins.

#8 - #10 Berkey: I really like his ship designs and use of repeating shapes. Can't wait to try out similar techniques on my own designs

Thanks
    you're getting to a good place with these. I felt on the first ones you were missing a little bit of the right tones, but the later ones got that fixed quite nicely. I like the way you work with your mark making. Maybe you could try to vary the brushes to see if you can improve the differences between soft and sharp edges. The overall shapes are nice, but it could be interesting to try and be as careful on the inner smaller shapes. But I really really dig your work.
    Andrι Meister
    Concept Artist
    Portfolio
    art@andremeister.com
    +55 11 97956-0081

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dreh_meister View Post
    you're getting to a good place with these. I felt on the first ones you were missing a little bit of the right tones, but the later ones got that fixed quite nicely. I like the way you work with your mark making. Maybe you could try to vary the brushes to see if you can improve the differences between soft and sharp edges. The overall shapes are nice, but it could be interesting to try and be as careful on the inner smaller shapes. But I really really dig your work.
    Yo Andre', thanks! It's great to get a second set of eyes on these. Will experiment a bit more with some brush varieties on the next set.

Thanks
    Next set:

#11 Mateu: Like the clarity in his compositions. Big shapes are clear, and he overlaps mids and darks to give depth and to make things read.

#12-#13 Mullins: His use of textured brushes is really cool, as it gets rid of that "samey" look that the digital medium tends to move toward

#14 Levitan: I like his use of dark to lighter values to get a sense of depth.
    #15 Surikov: Neat how he gave the impression of night time, with the ground snow being a higher value then the overall sky.

Thanks
    Final set:

#16 N. Baker: Her poses are really clear and appealing, and I like how she varies her edge work to draw focus.

#17 Sargent: He has a nice economy of stroke and gets really subtle values in the face. Found this one quite difficult.

#18 Jones: He gets really clear shapes to read by layering high value over dark and over medium.

#19 Jones: I like the economy of stroke and how the detail is put more in the areas of focus. It was interesting to try and mimic how he addresses the edges in armor.

#20 Sargent: I like the rough strokes in the painting, and how he sneaks in a sharper edge near the eye.

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sculptlab View Post
    Super nice work.
    bravo
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    these are excellent!!

My only comment at this point, other than more more more...is to really keep focused on pushing accuracy as far as you can with shapes, values and edges while at the same time it would be great to see just a bit more analysis of the composition. You are doing great. I am looking forward to getting through these studies with you and into the more advanced assignments. You are very talented.

JM

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    these are excellent!!

My only comment at this point, other than more more more...is to really keep focused on pushing accuracy as far as you can with shapes, values and edges while at the same time it would be great to see just a bit more analysis of the composition. You are doing great. I am looking forward to getting through these studies with you and into the more advanced assignments. You are very talented.

JM
    Thanks for the kind words and feedback! Will keep these notes in mind for future studies. Definitely looking forward to heading into the next assignments