Thanks

Arunkumar - Composition 1.1

Hello everyone! This is my first post in Concept art.org .This is an amazing website . This is a portrait study .I struggled very much to get the likeness . are there any tips to get the likeness and proportions (can i use the grid method)?? i took more than an hour to do this art work . can i take more than an hour to do the study on these assignments or should i go by the one hour target?? . I am very slow in my art any tips will be of great help to increase my art speed and also to get the Likeness of the art . C & C are most wecome .thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Black Spot; March 14th, 2015 at 10:32 AM. Reason: correct title

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Cool start. You're worrying a bit too much about details though. Try to capture shapes. make the image blurry and try to see it as shapes, not as the girl with the birdie or the dude with the hat. It'll look way closer to the actual painting, and with way less effort.
    André Meister
    Concept Artist
    Portfolio
    art@andremeister.com
    +55 11 97956-0081

Thanks
    Thank you so much dreh meister for the tip about looking at the image after blur. it was of a great help to me to look at the values .

Thanks

composition 1.1

This is a beautiful still life study by rembrandt .i took around 3 hrs to finish this piece .This is a well balanced piece .There is so much rhythm, variety, repetition in this piece .the emphasis and the economy is very nicely done .

Thanks

Composition 1.1

This a a beautiful painting by vermeer . The primary emphasis is on the face and the secondary emphasis is on the pearl earring . there is more detail in the area where there is more light .there is so much economy on the cloth so the main focus is on the face. Continuity,Rhythm,Emphasis,Balance,Economy,Repetit ion is very nicely executed.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    These are getting progressively better with each one. I really like seeing that happen. good work.

You are getting about 90 percent there with the three most important things...shapes, values and edges. are you flipping your images horizontally and vertically every minute or so to check accuracy?

Make a pass at the end where you double check the following, in this order.

a. shapes.
    b. values
    c. edges

At this point all I think that is needed is double checking things at the end in a quality control pass...so to speak.

Keep up the great work.

jm

Thanks

Composition 1.1

Hi jason Thank you so much for your encouraging support .

I chose this painting because i like the mood of it and i wanted to do a scenic painting . when my eyes first fell upon it i was drawn to the moonlight and the moonlit waters below .this immediately bought my focus to the building in the foreground which had a stark contrast as it was in shadows.

Thanks

Composition 1.1

I just wanted to say that I am really enjoying doing this art work am learning so much. I am a fan of Frazetta’s work. I always notice the characters are in extreme and dynamic poses and it seems to be telling an exciting story. This gave me a lot of chance to experiment with values.

Thanks

Composition 1.1

This painting caught my eyes because of the mood of stillness it creates . The water draws you to the native american which is the Emphasis . The mountains behind is the economy and there is continuity and variety

Thanks

Composition 1.1

hi every one this is a study from Rembrant . the dark contrast in the image draws you to the bright colour of the face .the image has great balance .

Thanks

composition 1.1

This is a beautiful painting from Replin. this study took me more time to finish . i learnt a lot about values when doing this painting iam enjoying soo much while doing these studies .The primary emphasis is on the face . the expression of the eyes draws you to the face .the image is very well balanced and there is lot of repetetion on the cloth . Economy in the background and the cloth .more details on the face .

Thanks
    Nice job on the Replin study, you really captured the pose and expression well.

Thanks

composition 1.1

hi brusebe thank you very much ..

Thanks
    hello everyone . it has been a long time since i posted . this is a very beautiful painting by William . I am a very big fan of William's paintings. This particular painting has great balance and there is rhythm in the hair and repetition . The primary emphasis is on the face and the face is more detailed than the dress . I spent a lot of time to get the values .

Thanks

composition 1.1

hi everyone am a big fan of Sam Neilson's work . It was very challenging to get the values right .The primary emphasis is on the face and the clouds in the back ground is the economy.

Thanks

composition 1.1

hi everyone here is the painting by william . it was a little difficult to get the expression right but took more time to get the values closest. C & C are welcome . the main emphasis is on the face and the secondary on the coat . The Bg , the coat and the hair are the economy and there is more repetition on the flow of the hair

Thanks

composition 1.1

Hi everyone here is a landscape study and portrait study . In both the paintings there is lot of contrast .the dark color on the cloth brings ones attention directly to the face and the main emphasis is on the face .

Thanks

composition 1.1

here are some more studies

Thanks

composition 1.1

Here is one more painting by Albert Bierstadt . it was a great challenge to learn the values in this painting . The primary emphasis is on the water falls . There is a lot of rhythm to the placement of the rocks and the trees and the water falls . There is lots of repetition of the trees and the rocks . The trees and the mountains in the Bg is the economy .

Thanks

composition 1.1

Hi every one merry christmas to all !!!! this is a painting by Thomas Waterman Wood .The primary emphasis is the boy and the the BG is the economy . The strong dark contrast on the BG brings the main focus on the boy . lots of repetition of the vertical lines of the wall and the stairs . I enjoyed a lot in doing this painting .

Thanks

composition 1.1

Hi every one here is a study by William . This piece was very challenging to work . It was very difficult to get the values right . C & C are most welcome please .

Thanks
    I think the values are really good. Two minor details, shadow under upper skirt could be a little sharper, and the shadow under her right arm could be a little lighter.

Thanks

composition 1.1

Hi everyone . This is a painting by William . took more time to do the study . This was an very interesting painting to study .

Thanks
    Congratulations on number 19, only criticism I have is the hands. I have the same problem, especially if your painting at a fairly low resolution. I usually end up with sausage fingers or sharp fingers. The pose, values everything else is pretty much spot on.

Thanks
    I love how clear your rendering is even with such a short time limit! My work always starts out blocky and brush strocky, after 1 hour of work and your's look halfway done already. What's you secret? That being said I feel there are couple of places where the shape is just a little off and the edges are sometimes feathered when they should be more clear cut, but I think you'll be able to work that out in the near future. Keep up the good work! I'm jealous of your progress.

Thanks
    Hi hawie Thank you very much for your valuable comment . I will do the changes that you have mentioned .

Thanks
    Hi brusebe4st thank you so much for your valuable comments . You are right the fingers are little off i will surely work on the fingers . i find it little difficult when i work on the fingers i will surley improve . Thank you ..

Thanks
    Hi andrew Thank you very much for your valuable comments . i will surely work on the shapes and improve it in the next assignments . And about rendering the painting , minimum i work for more than 5 to 6 hrs on each assignments . i use only two brushes the very basic brush soft and hard brush and opacity settings is 100 and flow is 30 and i use many layers .

Thanks

composition 1.1

Hi Jason Manley this is the 20th assignment that i am posting here . Thank you very much for giving me an opportunity to work on these assignments . Its been really wonderful to work on these assignments . I have learnt a lot from the day i started these assignments . I am looking forward to work on the other assignments . Thank you .
    Here is a photograph study of arnold . I had lots of fun while working on this and i learnt a lot in this assignment .

Thanks
    Thanked 6,733 Times in 4,639 Posts
    A huge improvement from start to finish. Looking forward to what you can do in 1.2. You're in Completed.