Thanks

Exclamation Help! Funds for Online Art Classes: Go Fund Me

Thank you for reading!!! I am currently trying to further my education and pursue my career as an Animator/Concept artist, but money is very scarce. I have been trying to save up to replace items like my laptop (which was taken from me when I moved out ) and classes (for example the Level up program and CGMA 2D) but after paying bills including medical and student loans (which run me 400+ per month for the student loans alone) whatever is left over is spent for gas and food. Iíve thought of taking out more loans but I do not have a reliable computer (all this is being sent through a work computer) so I would not be able to successfully take the classes. Plus any loans I take out would not defer and I would have to start paying on them immediately and I do not have the financial stability to do so. Iíve had friends who said I should try starting a fundraiser on GoFundMe. Taking their advise I have started a fundraiser on GoFundMe.com to help reduce the loan debt I currently have. If you can donate I would greatly appreciate it! Even if itís only a dollar, any contribution would help! If you cannot donate, the best way you can help is to spread the word. Please, please if you can spread and share this link (http://www.gofundme.com/e55w0o) around it would help a lot. Thank you!!!

For more information or to Donate Go Here: http://www.gofundme.com/e55w0o

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    If you've viewed my thread and shared my link I just want to thank you!

ďThe poorest man in the world is the man without a dream.The most frustrated man in the world is the man with a dream that never becomes reality.Ē
    Myles Munroe
    Last edited by SilentWhisper; September 8th, 2014 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks
    You sound, like a person that doesn't take accountability for their decisions.

Bad news, college or a degree wont get you anything in this industry. Employers only care about the art you can produce, and it doesn't take a degree to create employment worthy art. If you had done sufficient research you would have learned that the industries you are interested in are dominated by self taught artists.

Have a little dignity, work this out yourself. That builds the kind of character that will help you succeed. Don't ask people to throw money at your problems.

Sorry to be blunt but it doesn't seem like anyone has given you that courtesy yet.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,727 Times in 4,633 Posts
    You'd be better off learning and taking notes on this site; we give free advice. Also read this http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=144069 If you want to do art, work your butt off, just don't expect a free ride.

Thanks
    Just a funny thought here:

While I am always happy to give whatever advice/expertise/instruction I can to eager artists, I'd have to say that providing funding for the education of someone else is sort of counter intuitive.

I mean, lets face it, as a professional artist I'm doing what I can to make the very little money that I have, while struggling against stiff competition to get the next job. Why am I going to take that hard-earned money and pay for you to get a degree just so you can add yourself to the list of applicants I'm competing against while trying to get those jobs?

On the one hand, good luck to you in your studies and as an artist, and I hold no ill-will towards you if you do add to the competition. On the other hand, when it comes to asking me or anyone else who isn't advertising scholarships to fund your education; go f*** yourself you entitled prick.

edit: ps- I used to help people out getting through school with a dollar here and there, but then I got a girlfriend and promised her I wouldn't go to strip clubs any more.
    Last edited by Peter Coene; September 11th, 2014 at 09:20 AM.

Thanks
    I don't understand your thought process op.
    Why should people fund you? what makes you so different from all the other artists who post their hard work on their sketchbook threads regularly?
    And who are you? You don't even post any work here....not even a single thread with your work...
    Why do you expect the people from here to d.onate to you?

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Voodoo_Mama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    you ain't worth a food stamp

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Now, now. No need to be nasty.
    Yeh, sorry. Was already in a bad mood yesterday and then found myself confronded with someone who had the gall to ask me to fund their education. At least the gutterpunks I run into asking for money in the French Quarter want the money for something I can sympathize with; so they can get a bite to eat. Plus, they're usually happy if instead of money I take the time to talk to them for a bit and roll a cigarette for them.

Funding education, by comparison, is not high on my list of priorities; if you are doing well enough that you can even consider school and go on a site just to ask for it (only posting 3 times, and not even showing any art to lead anyone to believe that there is any talent there to fund) then there are people who need the money more. So yeah, lost my cool. I still think this one deserved the rant, though.
    Last edited by Peter Coene; September 11th, 2014 at 11:42 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Coene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 763 Posts
    Well, it seems that your fundraiser doesn't exist anymore.
    What kind of friends give the advice to start begging for money online anyway?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiggeraz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My comment wasn't directed at you Peter.
    Even though I basically implied that the op would have better luck if they tried being a stripper?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Coene For This Useful Post:

Thanks

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 763 Posts
    It's honest work.
    As a part-time stripper, i can confirm this.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tiggeraz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    Also I've only ever supported one kickstarter and that was for a member who has been very active here, and one gofundme for a fb friend whose house burnt down because I'd miss his sarcastic humour.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Art is something you can teach yourself! Look up Dan Luvisi, he is a very well-known artist in the entertainment industry who taught himself everything and worked his ass off to get where he is today.

Look up the 10,000 hours rule, thats a good start.
    There are a TON of resources here if you skim the forums, and lots of people who are eager to critique artwork to point out flaws and weak spots. Start posting your work!
    Look up CtrlPaint, there are a lot of great resources there too, especially for someone who is just starting out.

Don't be disheartened, be excited!
    • Need some inspiration? Check out my blog/website, it is a prompt generator for artists ArtPrompts.org
    • I do a daily post that featured 15-20 of my favorite digital/concept/character art from across the web. Check out the "Daily Digital" : )

26. The Following User Says Thank You to 100Chihuahuas For This Useful Post: