P.O.W.! 76- Giants or Chthulu

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

P.O.W.! 76- Giants or Chthulu

Name:  CA-POWexLOGO.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  155.3 KB
    In all P.O.W.! Challenges, you can interpret the art any way you wish, and the more creatively, the better. Any media. B&W or Color, unless we specifically point out otherwise.

Topic 76A: JOTNAR versus TITANS (Norse godlike giants versus Greek godlike giants. What are they so upset about? Is this a legal dispute, a physical dispute, or just neighbors complaining that the party is too loud?)

Topic 76B: “Anything with Cthulu in it is fine by me.”

One or Both-Deadline: Friday, October 3rd, 2014, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.

You can present your solution as a minimum of TWO pages to any practical maximum you wish. Previously, we encouraged standard comic book pages, but it's beyond time to broaden the challenge in P.O.W.! Your pages can be any format, but make sure they line up to the same specs for each page.

Standard comic specs are below...and, yes, you can have the first or last (or both) as a splash page if you want--just don't get TOO extreme on page counts.

REMEMBER: You don't have to have a complete comic to qualify for polling--if you realize you're running out of time, try to get at least TWO pages finished by the deadline. That's all you need to qualify for polling..

Standard Comic Book Size: (a guideline, not a rule)

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)

.................................................. .............................

Good luck.

To all of you who have supported the P.O.W.! Challenges, from the bottom of my heart I thank you. Cheers you guys. P.O.W.! People are the best people.

Just a reminder--those of you who didn't get a chance to finish exactly the way you wanted to, or ran into deadline problems, remember there is a sticky section where you can post your stuff when you do get it up to speed.

Last edited by arttorney; 1 Week Ago at 02:45 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @arttorney: Hi! I am new to POW. I see that you are giving two topics. Do we have to do both?
    Btw I am going to work digitally. I downloaded templated from "Read this first" thread. I am new to comic art. So, any pointers?
    Also, the template is taller than 10 inches. Can an image taller than 10 inches be uploaded?

Coool Brain

Coool Brain's Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You only need to do one topic. Two topics are given so people have a better chance to make a set of panels with a topic they are interested in, and that matches their skill set.

The comic specs are a professional guideline that you would be expected to conform to if you were doing print work. We have relaxed that to a guideline rather than a requirement for these challenges because an artist may be primarily interested in producing a webcomic or even a more alternative version of a sequential (such as a visual novel).

My recommendation about the sizing of the images you present is to try to minimize side scrolling. You can get away with 800 px across to keep away from that. The aspect ratio of your pages will determine how far up and down things go. Most people don't have a major problem with vertical scrolling, though some wish to see the entire page at once so they can gauge the aesthics of how you laid out the individual panels.

People here tend to read left to right and top to bottom, so that will be the best panel arrangement. Going manga style (from last page to first to the western reader) will probably confuse people.

It might help if you think of things like a movie. Start with an "establishing shot" which shows people the place and situation (such as "people are in a courtroom"). Then move to a closer shot showing your protagonist who is doing something, thinking something, or saying something. Develop plot with smaller panels through the middle of the page until maybe a closeup or "Wow!" panel as the last one on this page that leads the reader to the next page. A splash page is a full page drawing of a set piece that should be intense. It should be used sparingly or else it loses some of its impact.

Last edited by arttorney; 1 Week Ago at 09:21 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @arttorney: ​Thanks for the info. and the pointers.

Coool Brain

Coool Brain's Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome, I was sad that this was no longer running.

I will play along!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arttorney View Post
    Name:  CA-POWexLOGO.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  155.3 KBIn all P.O.W.! Challenges, you can interpret the art any way you wish, and the more creatively, the better. Any media. B&W or Color, unless we specifically point out otherwise.Topic 76A: JOTNAR versus TITANS (Norse godlike giants versus Greek godlike giants. What are they so upset about? Is this a legal dispute, a physical dispute, or just neighbors complaining that the party is too loud?)Topic 76B: “Anything with Cthulu in it is fine by me.”One or Both-Deadline: Friday, October 3rd, 2014, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world. You can present your solution as a minimum of TWO pages to any practical maximum you wish. Previously, we encouraged standard comic book pages, but it's beyond time to broaden the challenge in P.O.W.! Your pages can be any format, but make sure they line up to the same specs for each page. Standard comic specs are below...and, yes, you can have the first or last (or both) as a splash page if you want--just don't get TOO extreme on page counts. REMEMBER: You don't have to have a complete comic to qualify for polling--if you realize you're running out of time, try to get at least TWO pages finished by the deadline. That's all you need to qualify for polling..Standard Comic Book Size: (a guideline, not a rule)--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4" --Live art area: 6" x 9"--Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)....................................... ........... ............................. Good luck.To all of you who have supported the P.O.W.! Challenges, from the bottom of my heart I thank you. Cheers you guys. P.O.W.! People are the best people. Just a reminder--those of you who didn't get a chance to finish exactly the way you wanted to, or ran into deadline problems, remember there is a sticky section where you can post your stuff when you do get it up to speed.
    Hello thanks for the information.. Can I still join after getting first and last page of the comic?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You may join the activity if you can complete at least two sequential pages by October 3.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YESS! Finally a new Challenge! I've been in Holidays, so couldn't do much till now. Story is written, First page (of five) very rough pencils. Hope to get at least the pencils done, but i'm very busy: University just started with full speed and i have some various projects ongoing like preparing for an exhibition, planning a webcomic (hopefully)...
    eager to see some new POW! Pages!!
    Cheers

"Alle Erinnerung ist Gegenwart"
    -Novalis-
    My Blog

Members who have read this thread: 24