View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

P.O.W.! 76- Giants or Chthulu

Name:  CA-POWexLOGO.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  155.3 KB
    In all P.O.W.! Challenges, you can interpret the art any way you wish, and the more creatively, the better. Any media. B&W or Color, unless we specifically point out otherwise.

Topic 76A: JOTNAR versus TITANS (Norse godlike giants versus Greek godlike giants. What are they so upset about? Is this a legal dispute, a physical dispute, or just neighbors complaining that the party is too loud?)

Topic 76B: “Anything with Cthulu in it is fine by me.”

One or Both-Deadline: Friday, October 3rd, 2014, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.

You can present your solution as a minimum of TWO pages to any practical maximum you wish. Previously, we encouraged standard comic book pages, but it's beyond time to broaden the challenge in P.O.W.! Your pages can be any format, but make sure they line up to the same specs for each page.

Standard comic specs are below...and, yes, you can have the first or last (or both) as a splash page if you want--just don't get TOO extreme on page counts.

REMEMBER: You don't have to have a complete comic to qualify for polling--if you realize you're running out of time, try to get at least TWO pages finished by the deadline. That's all you need to qualify for polling..

Standard Comic Book Size: (a guideline, not a rule)

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)

.................................................. .............................

Good luck.

To all of you who have supported the P.O.W.! Challenges, from the bottom of my heart I thank you. Cheers you guys. P.O.W.! People are the best people.

Just a reminder--those of you who didn't get a chance to finish exactly the way you wanted to, or ran into deadline problems, remember there is a sticky section where you can post your stuff when you do get it up to speed.

Last edited by arttorney; September 5th, 2014 at 03:45 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @arttorney: Hi! I am new to POW. I see that you are giving two topics. Do we have to do both?
    Btw I am going to work digitally. I downloaded templated from "Read this first" thread. I am new to comic art. So, any pointers?
    Also, the template is taller than 10 inches. Can an image taller than 10 inches be uploaded?

Coool Brain

Coool Brain's Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You only need to do one topic. Two topics are given so people have a better chance to make a set of panels with a topic they are interested in, and that matches their skill set.

The comic specs are a professional guideline that you would be expected to conform to if you were doing print work. We have relaxed that to a guideline rather than a requirement for these challenges because an artist may be primarily interested in producing a webcomic or even a more alternative version of a sequential (such as a visual novel).

My recommendation about the sizing of the images you present is to try to minimize side scrolling. You can get away with 800 px across to keep away from that. The aspect ratio of your pages will determine how far up and down things go. Most people don't have a major problem with vertical scrolling, though some wish to see the entire page at once so they can gauge the aesthics of how you laid out the individual panels.

People here tend to read left to right and top to bottom, so that will be the best panel arrangement. Going manga style (from last page to first to the western reader) will probably confuse people.

It might help if you think of things like a movie. Start with an "establishing shot" which shows people the place and situation (such as "people are in a courtroom"). Then move to a closer shot showing your protagonist who is doing something, thinking something, or saying something. Develop plot with smaller panels through the middle of the page until maybe a closeup or "Wow!" panel as the last one on this page that leads the reader to the next page. A splash page is a full page drawing of a set piece that should be intense. It should be used sparingly or else it loses some of its impact.

Last edited by arttorney; September 6th, 2014 at 10:21 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @arttorney: ​Thanks for the info. and the pointers.

Coool Brain

Coool Brain's Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome, I was sad that this was no longer running.

I will play along!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arttorney View Post
    Name:  CA-POWexLOGO.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  155.3 KBIn all P.O.W.! Challenges, you can interpret the art any way you wish, and the more creatively, the better. Any media. B&W or Color, unless we specifically point out otherwise.Topic 76A: JOTNAR versus TITANS (Norse godlike giants versus Greek godlike giants. What are they so upset about? Is this a legal dispute, a physical dispute, or just neighbors complaining that the party is too loud?)Topic 76B: “Anything with Cthulu in it is fine by me.”One or Both-Deadline: Friday, October 3rd, 2014, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world. You can present your solution as a minimum of TWO pages to any practical maximum you wish. Previously, we encouraged standard comic book pages, but it's beyond time to broaden the challenge in P.O.W.! Your pages can be any format, but make sure they line up to the same specs for each page. Standard comic specs are below...and, yes, you can have the first or last (or both) as a splash page if you want--just don't get TOO extreme on page counts. REMEMBER: You don't have to have a complete comic to qualify for polling--if you realize you're running out of time, try to get at least TWO pages finished by the deadline. That's all you need to qualify for polling..Standard Comic Book Size: (a guideline, not a rule)--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4" --Live art area: 6" x 9"--Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)....................................... ........... ............................. Good luck.To all of you who have supported the P.O.W.! Challenges, from the bottom of my heart I thank you. Cheers you guys. P.O.W.! People are the best people. Just a reminder--those of you who didn't get a chance to finish exactly the way you wanted to, or ran into deadline problems, remember there is a sticky section where you can post your stuff when you do get it up to speed.
    Hello thanks for the information.. Can I still join after getting first and last page of the comic?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You may join the activity if you can complete at least two sequential pages by October 3.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YESS! Finally a new Challenge! I've been in Holidays, so couldn't do much till now. Story is written, First page (of five) very rough pencils. Hope to get at least the pencils done, but i'm very busy: University just started with full speed and i have some various projects ongoing like preparing for an exhibition, planning a webcomic (hopefully)...
    eager to see some new POW! Pages!!
    Cheers

"Alle Erinnerung ist Gegenwart"
    -Novalis-
    My Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my work on this- I chose the Cuthulu entry. No text at all. There will be no dialogue for sure, but I may add onomatopoeia work ... I'm not sure yet. But Enjoy for now.

Colour will probably happen too.
    Page1-2
    Name:  CuthuluBeachParty01.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  208.7 KB------------------------------------------------------------
    Page3-4
    Name:  CuthuluBeachParty02.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  223.7 KB----------------------------------------------------------
    Page5-6
    Name:  CuthuluBeachParty03.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  92.3 KB

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MajorD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @arttorney THANK YOU for stepping up and keeping the dream alive!
    @MajorD nice clean read-able panels. although he is on the beach right? idk and something about the black sunglasses throws it off just because my eye's are drawn to them.....anyways

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I agree. I pushed the values in Photoshop, as the room was dark when I photographed the drawings. It popped the blacks hard. So that was an unfortunate artefact of that. I'll get to colouring it, and it should even out the values. It should also sell the sand/beach feel yo!

Thanks for the feedback homie.
    And yes, thanks to arttorney for the revival. I love the sequential art. I will do the next one too

A week to colour 5 pages ?- got it. I will be back. good luck to others.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do we need an extension here? Is anybody else working on an entry?
    I have prepared a FINALS Thread here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...68#post3866268

Last edited by arttorney; October 1st, 2014 at 05:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd be down for another topic.

But more people working on these would be great.

I just went to a comic jam where I live - a thing where we all get together, one person starts a panel on a one page comic, puts it down, then the next person comes and draws the next panel - and so on.
    There were like 20 of these floating around getting worked on by other artists.

I'll point them to this site in hopes they will join the fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @arttorney: Sorry, I couldn't jump in this time. Definitely want to be a part of the next topic. Thank you for helping out and for your patience.

Coool Brain

Coool Brain's Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a very rough story outline I thought of doing but couldn't . Please share your thoughts.

Title: Cthulhu - The Sleeping Death

Storyline:
    A guy dies mysteriously - it has
    something to do with Cthulhu.

=================================================
    =================================================

Prologue:
    black and white silhoutte
    a shape with black tentacles, white eyes and
    a white guy standing in front of
    the shape with tentacles
    "ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
    "In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu lies dreaming."
    ------------------------------------------

Streets of London, 1927
    car travelling
    detective1"they heard screams?"
    detective2"that's what she said."

-----------------------------------------

In front of a house no. 21

They reach a house
    d1"is this it?"
    d2"21, yeah, this is it"

detective1 knocks on the door
    "anybody home?"
    SFX - Door knock - KNOCK KNOCK

d1 knocks again harder
    "hellooo! anybody home?"
    SFX - Door knock - KNOCK KNOCK

"hmm, i guess not"
    d2 tried to rotate the door knob.
    SFX - door knob rotate - click
    "its not locked!"
    --------------------------------------

shot of the door from inside. door opens
    SFX - Door opening sound - Krrrreeeeek

reveal a dead body in the door light.
    dead body on the floor. Bloody fingers,
    Bloody scalp, hair pulled of in chunks from his head,
    scalp with deep scratches.

d1"My Gaaaawwwd!"
    d2 kneeling near the dead body
    "Oh! Hey! Look what we have here"

detective1 sees something suspicious and
    asks his partner(who is kneeling at the body) to
    roll the dead body over.

they find a piece of wooden board and a slightly bent nail.

detective1 picks up that board and looks at the it.

Cthulhu carved on the cardboard - zoom in - transition to
    the silhouette from the prologue
    -----------------------------------------------

Last edited by Coool Brain; October 4th, 2014 at 09:02 PM.
    Coool Brain

Coool Brain's Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great story- it's gripping and pulls me in and I want to know more.

The only problem is that I don't really see how the Cthulhu is involved. Whats Cthulhu's motivations? if it was him that killed this man. Is this dead guy in the hall Cthulhu? Since it says "In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu lies dreaming." IF it were to make the contest finals, I'm just not sure you could relate this to the Cthulhu topic? but then again the topic is wide open and the thread doesn't specify Cthulhu's level of involvement. Technically this story is based on Cthulhu but it just hasnt got to the reveal, or to the explanation and what not.. .

Regardless - great story, it is enticing and it does want me to read more.

I dont know if these POW contests are intended to be self contained stories within the page limits specified. With a beginning, middle and end; or if you can draw out a small piece of the story however tangentially related.

Chances are you can do either, and in the end everyone will have a say and the final piece will be judged on relatedness (to the topic) and creativity / storytelling...

This is good, to allow for more creativity...
    So I suppose I'm just expressing my own questions and grievances on the contest. Steaming out my own questions hahaha

P.S. don't take this as bad. I like this POW a lot and would like to participate regardless of the answer to these queries. I think spurring on creativity and acts of sequential art is great... and since there is no real prize other than pride the answer is irrelevant. It's merely a existential question projected towards the POW challenge YAY

Last edited by MajorD; October 5th, 2014 at 03:47 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @MajorD: Thanks for the comment. Yeah we would see Cthulhu(silhouette, carving) in only around 5 panels. So, you may question the relatedness. Also, I have not thought of the whole story. I planned for 2-3 pages of gripping story. Most of the story is open, for example whether this guy was in the hall of Cthulhu is open for brainstorming. I don't have a definite answer. If I start writing the rest of it, I would go with the flow.

Nothing bad towards POW, but I don't worry much about the rules as long as I am learning

Last edited by Coool Brain; October 5th, 2014 at 04:47 AM.
    Coool Brain

Coool Brain's Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah- since there isn't much on the line- experimenting is the way to go push the boundaries

But right - it's not all of the story - I see. Duh. - I do the same thing, kinda let it unfold as I draw. Good stuff. Onto the next shall we ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ​@MajorD: yep

Coool Brain

Coool Brain's Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow is this over already that's how buisy i've been.....ha!

Members who have read this thread: 45