CTRLPaint Videos

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile CTRLPaint Videos

So I was recommended to check out the ctrlpaint videos, and the past couple of days I've watched a fair few of them, and I was just wondering who else here has watched them? I was curious as to which videos people started with, as I have just been making my way through all of them from the beginning.

I was unsure whether to watch the 'basics of photoshop' videos, since I've been using Photoshop for years, although I'm really glad I did because he pointed out a few keyboard shortcuts that I had no clue about haha.

I was especially unsure about watching his basics of traditional drawing videos, because I've just graduated with a degree in illustration, so in theory I should know the basics. But I'm watching them anyway in case he covers something I'm unsure about, and to see his take on traditional art (it's just interesting to me really), and there's always going to more to learn, right?

So yeah, basically my question is; did you watch all of the videos or skip the ones you felt you didn't need? Also, have you found the videos helpful?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found out that for me, personally, the CTRL videos were not what I was looking for, primarily because the techniques hindered my creativity. So no, I did not find the videos helpful for me in the way Feng Zhu's and Scott Robinson's, videos were.

Last edited by NesanJanan; September 5th, 2014 at 07:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've liked the ones I've seen. I've mostly looked at the traditional drawing ones, because I've been stuck in a rut with my drawing and was looking for some fresh perspectives. I didn't learn anything mind-blowing, as they are pretty basic, but I picked up a few good tips and ways of looking at things. I haven't looked through the digital videos yet. When it comes to mastering a medium (photoshop, oil paints, etc.) I've found I learn better if I explore myself rather than watch someone else paint, but once I've got a solid base of skill I'll start looking for tips and tricks to improve.

If you're looking for something heavier, I'd second the Scott Robinson/Feng Zhu.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The point of CTRL-Paint videos is to be very broad but not very deep. It will get you introduced to a subject, but it won't really go much farther. The advantage to this is that often beginners don't even know what they should be learning, and CTRL-Paint's progression system helps a lot. So you find out what is a drawing technique you should learn, for example 'Constructive form', and then from there you can jump off and find the right resources rather than looking around aimlessley, and you know what you should progress into.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by gtm1260 View Post
    The point of CTRL-Paint videos is to be very broad but not very deep.
    In my opinion, there is not a lot to say about the practice of representational art, neither is there a lot to write, demo or video. Matt Kohr is doing a great job to say the few things worth saying, although it is definitely not the only approach. It is all about practice: the most important art book is your sketchbook.

Stop wasting your time looking for 'deep' videos, books. Go practice.!

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have you heard about The New Masters Academy Hunchdebunch? You have access to all their professional grade content for subscription fee. I have yet to watch all of their videos but I can totally vouch for the quality and thoroughness of their perspectives videos.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NesanJanan View Post
    Have you heard about The New Masters Academy Hunchdebunch? You have access to all their professional grade content for subscription fee. I have yet to watch all of their videos but I can totally vouch for the quality and thoroughness of their perspectives videos.
    I'll have to check that out, although I may not be able to pay for something like that at the moment as I'm currently unemployed. I was planning on subscribing to Chris Oatley's 'Magic Box' once I have some money though, as I've heard good things about that course and it's a bit more affordable too.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,554 Times in 3,739 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You can always try the Start programme here, and it's free.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    You can always try the Start programme here, and it's free.
    Oh! I don't know why, but for some reason I thought that wasn't free haha, I'm having a look now but I don't 100 percent understand how it works yet. I'll see if I can get to grips with it and then I probably will give it a go

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Start is just the first couple of assignments of the LevelUp track. If you want the rest of LevelUp you have to pay for it. But trust me, Start alone will keep you busy for a good while.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dahlia For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 50