Values/fundamentals?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Values/fundamentals?

Hello CA.org,

I haven't shown my art on the internet for a while now so it'd awesome to get some critiques/help on the following. Up until now I haven't been using color at all because I wanted to get my values more so correct. So a general critique on my values would be cool, or anything else :p I know I probably left a lot of fundamental errors.

This may be a lot to ask for so I'll do my best to return the favour!
    Thanks,
    Jonathan

Name:  augst22_2.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  105.9 KB

Name:  august27.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  83.8 KB

Name:  sept2_2.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  84.8 KB

Last edited by Jonathan-B; September 4th, 2014 at 05:25 PM. Reason: typo
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking pretty good to me. In the first one the guy in the back looks kind of out of place. The bridge he is on looks wrong, I'm not sure if it's sloping down or going straight across, it also seems less wider on the right side which seems to warp the perspective. Do you notice that or is it just me?

The second one I'm not sure if the gorilla was real or a model of one. It lacks a little movement in it, if you get what I mean.

The third one is my favourite. Sorry I canthelp much more than that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceoko View Post
    Looking pretty good to me. In the first one the guy in the back looks kind of out of place. The bridge he is on looks wrong, I'm not sure if it's sloping down or going straight across, it also seems less wider on the right side which seems to warp the perspective. Do you notice that or is it just me?

The second one I'm not sure if the gorilla was real or a model of one. It lacks a little movement in it, if you get what I mean.

The third one is my favourite. Sorry I canthelp much more than that.
    Thanks for the crit Aceoko,

Yeah I think the entire left side of my first piece is distorted and out of perspective. For the gorilla I understand what you're saying about it looking like a model but what can you suggest if it was intentional of me to make it stationary?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The gorilla is not properly weighted. He's leaning awkwardly to his left, his front left leg needs to be out more to support the weight. Also his rear right leg has light hitting it, but that's not really possible since the gap looks blocked on the opposite side. He's also not in perspective properly. Trace a line from his right front leg to the vanishing point and you'll see why. Is he stepping forward? If so get him in a more readable pose. If not, make his front legs both upright instead of on a lean. Hope that answers the gorilla question. Looking good overall!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These look pretty good to me. I really like the first one.
    Sorry I can't help much too on values, I'm terrible on values, but I do think you could push the atmospheric perspective more. Reducing the contrast more the farther away things get will help the depth read. Right now most of the depth is coming from your perspective work, so consciously I can tell where everything is, but it still looks a touch flat.
    More nitpicky: First, the left wall in the gorilla painting looks funky to me. It might just be the angle, but I think you may need to double check the perspective to make sure you're getting the severe foreshortening right. Also, I'd get rid of the fan shape on the far wall - because all the diagonals point to it, it becomes the main focal point for me. Second, the structure in the third thumbnail feels odd, like it's leaning too much. I'd strengthen the opposing diagonal to balance it out. Also, maybe I'm just unimaginative, but I can't figure out the point of the structures. What's the big block on the right? And how did the whole city sink so evenly to the left without crumbling or disrupting the earth around it?

Good job overall though, it's clear you're taking the time to think through the construction of these. Just need to spend a little more time thinking about the composition as a whole before getting down to details, I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks rocifier and Dahlia, very helpful!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your last picture is best. You could ramp up the drama by suggesting the scale of the broken bridge or what ever it is and dropping the eye level.
    Im not sure if its a sail ship or a buoy in the fore ground.

Members who have read this thread: 40