Join 500,000+ Artists
Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!
We are doing full colour master studiesevery day/weekend on our journey to get better at art. Join us andcontinue to Level Up!
Here is today's imagefor the day – José Tapiró y Baró – Portrait of Santoni
- Begin the master study from the image above. Studies are to be in full colour. Be faithful to the master study. Do not use the colour picker. Do not trace. This is an exercise that over time will pump up your skills very quickly.
- Make your study and the master work the same size. This makes it easier for you and others to critique. Do not make it hard for yourself
- Upload your finished study directly in a reply to today's thread. Every day or weekend will have it's own thread with the image of the day.
- Time limit - 1 Hour minimum at least. This is the minimum to get the full benefit, but you're welcome to put a lot more time into it. The longer you can spend on it, the better you will get.
- Try to see how the artist worked and bring this into your study. Match the colour and the shapes in broad strokes, leave details out unless you have the time later. Go from the largest shapes of colour first. Fingernails and eyelashes should be ignored to the end.
- Work on a small format, this stops you making those details and enables you to capture the essence. You can make it bigger later.
Please post your image side by sidewith the original, either next to each other or on top of each other.This makes it easier for people to see and critique.
You may not wish to do a studyeveryday, but work on one over several days. This can make you pushyourself harder.
Critique from yourself and others isalways welcomed here, as we are here to improve. Comment on what youthink you've learnt from doing the study, where it failed, worked andwhat you will take forward to the next one.
We will try to include an informativelink with each study as learning art history is equally important.Please read these and expand your knowledge.
One hour. Used 'oil medium brush wet edges' from PS defaults.
artist: José Tapiró y Baró was a Catalan painter, living 1836-1913. In 1877 he settled in Tangier, Morocco, and became famous for his portraits of the people of Tangier. This picture was painted in 1890, it's watercolour.
Lots of subtle use of colour here, in the skin tones and the headdress. The brushwork on the coat uses the texture of the board or canvas it's painted on, to help create the rough texture