Please critique my lady knight!

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation Please critique my lady knight!

Fan art of the Song of the Lioness series by Tamora Pierce.

Gonna be playing with her expression and adding more detail to foliage.

All comments and crit are welcome!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,393 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Where is the light source?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The main light source in the sun, coming from the right of the painting. The secondary light is the blue magic glow coming from the woods to the left.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,393 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You didn't make the lighting consistent with your described light sources. There are shadows where you don't expect them, lack of shadows where you do expect them, the same with highlights, the direction of the sunlight moves around the sky, the color of the sunlight is different on the clouds, the face and the metal, and the blue glow is too dim, too diffuse and on the wrong side of the figure to produce such bright and clear highlights on the armor. In short, I think you've tried to ad lib the lighting instead of planning it, and ended up focusing on tiny bits instead of consistency.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What arenhaus said's spot on. One bit of feedback right off the bat is the background values can be changed to give the piece more depth (atmospheric perspective). This will help separate the figure from the bg and make her standout more, since her gloves and scabbard are getting lost. Also, the blue area on the far left side of the piece is fighting for attention with your focal point, maybe you can consider removing it entirely?

To give you more feedback, it'd be great to know what direction you're trying to take it, or goals you intended in the piece. I say this because things are pretty stylized on your DA page, while I see some realistic value studies on your tumblr.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are pretty much spot on with the ad lib part, it definitely felt that way as I was putting the illustration together. Do you think maybe doing some quick color thumbnails beforehand would help?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by j.zhang View Post
    To give you more feedback, it'd be great to know what direction you're trying to take it, or goals you intended in the piece. I say this because things are pretty stylized on your DA page, while I see some realistic value studies on your tumblr.
    I want to improve my professional portfolio as a 2D Artist in the game industry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by caitlynpatten View Post
    Do you think maybe doing some quick color thumbnails beforehand would help?...I want to improve my professional portfolio as a 2D Artist in the game industry.
    In my opinion, what would really help is finding reference photos for everything--lighting, textures, pose, etc.--and, for a while, not doing anything out of your head.

Looking at your tumblr, the "comic book" style you have now is fine, and if you're satisfied with it, great. But in it's way it's as formalized as doing "manga-style" or "furry" art--you're selecting from a range of stylized poses, expressions, and ways of rendering (e.g., spiky hair) rather than working from observation. If you want to move beyond that, you'll need to closely study reality for a while.

As always, just my two cents.

- - - Updated - - -

Members who have read this thread: 43