Sketchbook: Catharsis' Sketchbook

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Catharsis' Sketchbook

Hello everyone! My name is Catharsis and this is the beginning of me taking my art seriously. I'm 18 and I plan on going to school next year for Video Game Development. By the time i get there (September 2015) I want to be comfortable with my 2D art skills enough, to focus most of my energy learning how to work in 3D. I've lurked this site a handful of times and I always love what I see. Although it does in a way make me feel insecure about my own level of art. But that's why we're all here, to become better artists. That's why I've finally put my procrastination aside and today will be posting what i have been up to lately in my world of art.

I primarily focus on portraiture and I am weak in most other areas; so bear with me. Today i saw that there will be a 100 day art challenge on human anatomy and clothing; taking place very soon. That makes me think this is the perfect time to start advancing myself as an artist. From this point, I plan to post at least one bit of art each day. I want to challenge myself, I want to draw what makes me insecure so i can become better at it.

So enjoy, comment if you like. If there is any better way to present my sketchbook (ex. sizes of the pictures, camera techniques) I'd appreciate it if you gave your input.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Attempting to tell stories with my work for now on. Really hard to do. Also the tablet drawing is a lot more difficult than i would've thought. Regardless, i must practice, and im having fun with it.

Very rough idea

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    duuude, you have so serious potential and skills. The breaking bad study is incredible. The main problem I see is with your eyes : they're often not on the same level, just fix that and it will be 1000 x better

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fynch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Fynch, i never really realized that with the eyes; I totally see what you mean. I'll keep that in mind from now on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, really good stuff.
    I really like those armor studies, those are super helpful when designing your own characters.
    That's why I would suggest you actually try to apply what you study as soon as possible. A lot of people forget that step, but it's actually the most important one.
    So you should pretty much always try to draw stuff from your head after you've done some studies on certain theme.
    Also I have one more suggestion for you. When doing those quick figure studies, try not to focus on the anatomy or the outline of the character. But instead try to look for the flow in the pose, and just try to show that flow through those quick gestures. That's what those practises are mainly for, if you want to learn anatomy, you should do a bit longer pose studies for that.
    I would recommend a Michael Hampton's book for that stuff, I really found that one to be most helpful for making my poses more fluid and natural.

Anyway, I really like your stuff, especially that last Breaking Bad study, I think it turned out awesome.
    Keep up the good work !

I'm available for work!
    Contact me on my mail: matijaobrovac@gmail.com
    Portfolio
    Matija's Deviant art
    Matija's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've given me a lot to think about Matija, and i thank you for it. I found a pdf of one of Hampton's books and im studying it right now. I've written some notes and started applying his concepts to a few quickpose models. Definitely one of the hardest things i've done (especially on the tablet ), I hope to have a sheet of decent looking gesture poses posted by today, to show my progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    REALLY struggling with gesture. I find it very complicated to do but easy to understand. I feel when i watch people do it, its easy, but then i try to apply it and I'm stiff as a board. This is what came out of it. It's really weak, but you could call it progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah man,
    You're doing good, just keep at it. It will all come with practise.

You know what really helped me, doing thousand of them in a week
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...%20%285%29.jpg
    Well actually i stopped at day 5, still had 2 days to go, but the school started so I never finished them.
    All of these were before I read the Michael Hampton's book, so they aren't that great anyway

Just keep at it, do a bunch of them, and also try to learn anatomy as you do them, it will help you significantly.

I'm available for work!
    Contact me on my mail: matijaobrovac@gmail.com
    Portfolio
    Matija's Deviant art
    Matija's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Went pretty hard today in my opinion. Had a great time doing it too

Been looking at Hampton's gesture book thank to Matija! A lot of practice, the last drawing is applying the method i've learned so far on some quickposes models.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had a great night out with a friend, so i made myself do a few gestures before bed. They were a little too light on the first draft, so i darkened them. Hopefully that didnt destroy the gesture. They aren't too great but i can actually feel myself improving. I've finally understood the concept of C S I and i can feel the motion in my arm as i use them. So much fun to do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey good start of your sketchbook! I'd say drop the graphite for a while and pick up a black pen! it is easier for yourself to point out the errors in your process and greatly improves the quality of your lines!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome SB!

My favorite thing about your work are your noses! You've really grasped the different shapes on your studies, and I think that's great! I really struggle with that. Especially the bridge of the nose.

If you find your self wanting for more life studies, I would suggest looking up "croquis cafe" on youtube. They have a model who poses in 1 minute, 2 minute and 5 minute intervals! I know in my city there isn't many life drawing sessions, so it's really cool to see a living breathing person changing poses and such.

Keep up the great work! I hope to see more of your work in the near future!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My thanks to both Gibier and LibraGrey. I will take both of your words of advice and apply them in my next drawing session, which is right now! I'll be posting at some point today

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys and gals! Had a pretty successful day with my art today I watched Proko's video on "The Bean" as a way of making the torso. And let me tell you, my figure drawing is %80 better than it was. Not totally great, but it was huge progress. I've been making gesture my main focus recently, but now that i'm a little comfortable in the area, i'm going to continue my art in all the branches of discipline. More heads and landscapes to be seen in the future

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know who told you about the bean but I think it is incomplete! it is actually the half filled flour sack where the magic is! check it out: http://www.animatorisland.com/hello-world/
    Just an example but you could easily find better tutorials on this subject!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I\ve been having some trouble lately. I don't know what to draw, but I had this idea. The pose was the hardest thing i've ever attempted and it still doesn't feel right. I also don't know where to go from here, what do I do? For now i'm just going to set it aside

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys long time no post. Here's a bit of stuff that i've been working on recently. Plus a thumbnail for a video that I just made https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9VA...ature=youtu.be

Shameless self promotion

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A piece i've been working on, happy about the progression please help me make this better, crits are accepted

Members who have read this thread: 28