My Constipated Brain - The need for smooth flow of creative fluids

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My Constipated Brain - The need for smooth flow of creative fluids

I joined CA to improve my art. Level Up was, and still is a big slap on the face for me, it reminded me of what my professors taught in college and kept me thinking, "I should have continued those practices even after I graduated."

Graduating college and getting a freelance job, doesn't mean my learning process ends, I believe it's just another step for improvement. What I lacked was not the drive, but the direction of how I should improve myself and hopefully, I think I found it here.

Currently, I have work illustrating stuff but I'm not really happy with it since it's not my style or what I really want to illustrate while earning. Not that I should talk about style since I'm still looking for my own.

My goal for now is to be able to illustrate or be good enough that my art can be used for game card illustrations like Legend of the Cryptids / Magic the Gathering or my designs being used as concepts for RPG games as these two seems to be my dream jobs at the moment.

Feel free to help and join me in my journey of improvement and random stuff! (beware, I like sketching heads haha)

Name:  old man sketchbook image.png
Views: 45
Size:  462.4 KB

Last edited by fllamjr; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:01 AM. Reason: image update
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Color and Light 1.1

Name:  self portrait.png
Views: 288
Size:  427.5 KB

Last edited by fllamjr; August 29th, 2014 at 10:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Composition 1.1

At first I tried working with speed, then was advised to concentrate on the values, and I did.

I've been enjoying joining CHOW and COW lately and have neglected these studies, I'll be working on it again after I finish my current CHOW

Name:  sargent.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  93.2 KB

Name:  fenghua zhong.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  213.9 KB

Name:  yong sub noh.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  131.5 KB

Name:  frank frazetta 1.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  113.3 KB

Name:  William-Adolphe Bouguereau.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  117.2 KB

Name:  evan lee 4.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  130.0 KB

Name:  john singer sargent 2.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  114.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CHOW# 360 design idea sketches

Name:  The Gunsmith Merchant rough sketch.png
Views: 274
Size:  735.4 KB

Name:  The Gunsmith Merchant rough sketch 2.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  930.0 KB

Name:  The Gunsmith Merchant rough sketch 3.png
Views: 272
Size:  551.0 KB

Name:  The Gunsmith Merchant rough sketch 4.png
Views: 272
Size:  1.02 MB

#2 rendering
    Name:  The Gunsmith Merchant 2nd design wip 1 & 2.png
Views: 267
Size:  288.7 KB

Name:  The Gunsmith Merchant 2nd design wip 3.png
Views: 274
Size:  385.2 KB

Last edited by fllamjr; August 29th, 2014 at 10:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool sketchbook! I remember that fairy racer it looks great! However if what you want is to work for MTG (and the like) I think you're going to have to drop the manga style (both looks and coloring technique) and move on to something more realistic. I think you're starting to get there with these last pieces, the problem I see with them is they seem to be done to display the character you created, when instead what you should be doing is using your characters (or creatures) to convey a story in your piece. Cards like "Invoke the Firemind" and "Blood Artist" are beautiful examples of this. I hope this helps You certainly have the potential to get there

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Kuroro!

Right now I'm really still at a lost, I want to do both character design for games as well as card artwork, both are kind of my dream jobs actually haha so I haven't really had experience in both worlds. I'm not sure if it's possible to join the two, but I actually want to do almost everything! Should I just concentrate on one first? I really don't know.

I see what you mean by character-oriented, I've been joining COW and CHOW for awhile now, since I thought I can gain experience and will be a big help in my colors. . . I like colors, apparently it doesn't like me hahaha

That latest piece (though rejected in chow), gave me a big confidence boost in colors, I used so many reference of artworks from various artists that I like and I guess I improved juuusst tiny bit, still a long ways to go. I really need to work on my backgrounds and colors.

That "Blood Artist" you mentioned was wicked! awesome piece!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea, you finally made a sketchbook O_O . Also tried to do the challenges but everyone else was way to good and we got 0 votes, so yea....T_T. Am sure you'll be like one of those famous superstar artists one day all your work has so much personality, bah we suck... ;_;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep your focus
    as it is evident you have the skill and imagination to reach all of your goals
    please continue!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SRB Thanks!Yeah, I was reluctant to make a sketchbook here because I don't have a scanner nor a good camera to capture my pencil sketches haha but browsing through the other sketchbooks I think it gave me the idea that it's alright that I make one for myself. I am planning to buy a tablet pc in the future so that I can upload sketches that I make when I'm not in front of the PC. I'll try to make sketches in my computer for this sketchbook but I usually go to "work mode" in front of the machine hehe.

Personally, I think you shouldn't think of having votes or winning in those challenges (though it's nice to win I guess? bit of a confidence boost) but it shouldn't get to you. Think of it as practice to improve, competition is good but pushing yourself and breaking your limits is better, I guess that's what the challenges are for. Also, I think the votes there are very subjective, and if it's a real competition, there should be professional judges (though again still subjective) not a poll. So again, don't let it get to you man, it's good to be hard on yourself but not too much that it will stop you from trying.

And thanks again! I feel honored with your praises but I think anyone and everyone can be that famous superstar artist one day haha

FROZ3N Thank you so much! Oh I really do plan to continue, I assure you that! Focus is hard, since I still lack direction, I want to do so many things all at the same time haha But for now I think I'll focus on improving my values, colors and composition!

Color and Light 1.1 update (sorry my face is big haha)

Views: 208
Size:  263.3 KB

Last edited by fllamjr; September 9th, 2014 at 08:25 PM. Reason: image re-sized

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sick stuff! Love it! Amazing sketches and master studies!
    P.S.: I like sketching heads too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Alexey Savchuk! Hahaha hurrah to heads!

CHOW#361 scifi mad hatter rough sketches, descriptions same as in chow thread

#1 Kind of like an eccentric noble/baron type, I wanted the playing card suits visible in his outfit like the legs forming the suit spades. I wanted to give him that scary or creepy aura mixed with an overly beautiful face that attract both men and women.
    Name:  SCIFI Mad Hatter design sketch 1.png
Views: 211
Size:  415.6 KB

#2 For this one, I went with a young mad hatter. He's some kind of mysterious rebel icon, doing graffiti art, saving the weak etc. Oh and he's wearing rocket boots/flight boots/anti-gravity boots? initially I intended roller skates but what the heck, might as well make him fly or jump really high when escaping corrupt authorities. Oh and he always carries around a big "T"umbler or "T"hermos filled with his favorite "T"ea...? Get it? haha don't mind me
    Name:  SCIFI Mad Hatter design sketch 2.png
Views: 195
Size:  456.3 KB

#3 This one, hmmm, still quite vague, but I had the tea maker hat idea since I saw this challenge, tried it on my first design, but I think it fits perfectly for this one. He's kind of like a mad scientist hatter I guess? Oh and he's a also a cyborg, which he modified himself when he was caught up in an accident which made him an undead...? changing your rotting body parts into a mechanical one seems like fun.
    Name:  SCIFI Mad Hatter design sketch 3.png
Views: 193
Size:  336.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    CHOW#361 scifi mad hatter wip update and process

I made another rough sketch over my design#2, redefining and adjusting stuff here and there to better suit my taste. I added my initial colors as well. Might change some things, might not, the usual process.

Name:  SCIFI Mad Hatter 2nd design rough sketch refined.png
Views: 197
Size:  461.1 KB

Name:  SCIFI Mad Hatter 2nd design initial colors.png
Views: 187
Size:  484.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Head sketch start! haha

As I'm doing the scifi hatter CHOW, I kind of had these several more ideas regarding other characters with the hatter, specifically the march hare and dormouse. I haven't thought of a droid/bot for my hatter, 'cept the one sketched here, still lost on what I want it to look like, but thinking of putting it with my CHOW entry or even with the 2 bots from the others. So hopefully I get to think of something up, with this progress I might not even finish my entry hahaha

Might also do a piece with the 3 characters together.

Name:  SCIFI Mad Hatter 2nd design - extra.png
Views: 175
Size:  569.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my good golly gosh your work is so wonderful and adorable and charming and everything!

I agree with the comment about realism and story-oriented and whatnot for MTG (Blood Artist, the one by algenpfleger? I was blown away by it too, he's a genius!), but I think as long as you practice realism alongside your stylized works you'll be just fine. You could probably do both card illustration and game concepts! Some people think it's good to be focused on one particular theme, but I'm one of those who thinks versatility is important. Even if you do end up focusing mainly on your own style, it's good to study how things really work so your pieces and characters can feel more solid and believable. Not that I'm one to talk.

One example of a person who takes a really stylistic approach and makes it work is Takehito Harada; if you've ever played a Disgaea game, you know him. His style is very simplistic and cartoony, there's hardly any realism to it but it's also very unique and recognizable, and it works for the games he works on. I wouldn't necessarily say one should aspire to work like him, but he's an example of people who do a very specific and niche kind of work.

Either way, I'll be keeping an eye on you. Good luck, keep on trucking!

Stop dreaming, start drawing!
    Mιmιmιη
    ♥ ・ Derpy Sketchbook ・ Feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's always a pleasure to see your COW contributions. Too bad the gun merchant wasn't accepted for the final voting, your piece was definitely one of my favourites.

Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some wonderful stuff here, very charming. I look forward to seeing more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello! I remember seeing your fairy racer design in CHOW a little while ago, and I was excited to see you have a sketchbook now! You've done some amazing designs since then, and I'm really liking where you're going with the sci-fi Alice in Wonderland theme. I'm going to agree with the previous comments saying that if you want to get into card creation and character work, you might want to do some studying into realism. Knowing how things like anatomy, skin, fabric, and colors work in real life will help you push them and reach a better finish in your more stylized pieces. This is something I'm still trying to teach myself too.

Look forward to seeing more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! thank you for visiting my sketchbook and thank you so much for your encouragements and advises!

Please let me have the pleasure to respond. . .

mimimintan Thank you for your good golly gosh-y comment! I am ever so grateful you find and describe my works with all that blush-inducing words!

Ah yes, that was one of my regrets till I joined CA, not doing realism since I left college haha I am determined to continue doing realism and be as versatile as I can, and finding my own style on the way, and being able to land a job for both card illustration and game character design.

I'm sorry but I don't know Takehito Harada, but I DO know Disgea, and I love his style as well as the game! If you know Akihiko Yoshida (Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics, Bravely Default) then he's my main inspiration (though I have many others) in terms of being a game designer. I do get what you're saying, hopefully I get to that point one day too!

Tiggeraz Thank you! I kind of stopped joining COW for now and maybe CHOW as well, and I'll be focusing on the Levelup course. Yeah, too bad it didn't get in the poll, but I was proud of that piece and learned a lot in the process of making it so it wasn't a big deal not getting in. Aside from the practice, I join these challenges just get a fresh idea or when I get stuck thinking of what character to draw haha

Cosmic Cabaret Thank you! I hope people will still find my future sketches and works charming when I draw nudes and uuhhh R18 stuff haha

Lydiamay
    Hello to you too!!! You're making me blush as well hahaha thank you so much! Yes, I will do so with the realism. And yes, we'll get better!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Color and Light 1.1 update
    I'm not happy with my progress as well as what I have here, and will be doing a new portrait for this assignment

Views: 124
Size:  357.5 KB

Here's a quick color for the characters I thought of with the hatter; might a full body, might not~

Name:  SCIFI Mad Hatter 2nd design - extra color splash.png
Views: 124
Size:  727.5 KB

Here's my hatter update as well! I entered the poll with my latest work, it has a finished feel with it but it's not quite what I was looking for, so I'll still be working on this piece till I'm satisfied . . .

Name:  SCIFI Mad Hatter 2nd design wip.png
Views: 130
Size:  393.3 KB

Name:  SCIFI Mad Hatter 2nd design wip 2.png
Views: 123
Size:  358.0 KB

Last edited by fllamjr; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:05 AM. Reason: attachment fix

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I might upload redrawn sketches (pencil sketches turned digital) just to share stuff or sketches I like until I get to buy a tablet pc or something.

Please do enjoy!

Name:  sketch 1.png
Views: 120
Size:  987.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

29. The Following User Says Thank You to fllamjr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rough sketch of my first design idea for CHOW#362 The Spirit Caller. Not sure if I'll be able to do this, still haven't even finished my mad hatter haha

Name:  The Spirit Caller first design rough sketch.png
Views: 98
Size:  365.2 KB

31. The Following User Says Thank You to fllamjr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Always a treat to look at your art fllamjr!

I really dig your later ideas for the Sci-Fi Mad Hatter, your concepts always seem to branch out into this creative fantasy world. They're a constant source of inspiration for me. Keep up the good work.

“Only those who attempt the absurd…will achieve the impossible.”

-M.C. Escher

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the Chows and Cows! I noticed in your #Chow 360 the blue light on the bottom takes away the attention from the character, composition is tough lol, I noticed a lot of the MTG cards have amazing compositions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook