shape design critique

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

shape design critique

Hi everyone this is my first post here and was wondering if i could get some critique on something im currently working on, any advice is appreciated

Name:  c2f0d35ec032b7e060268b0e4c208b57.png
Views: 357
Size:  476.0 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the construction of the characters that you made. The form of the knights' armor is illustrated very well, I wish I could offer more criticism as to what's wrong with the piece, but maybe the poses of the knights could be less stiff, however I could be wrong and be giving a biased criticism. I more or less just wanted to express what I liked about these knight concepts and wanted your post to at least be granted some awareness. I enjoyed the designs very much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome design wise. As for rendering I'm thinking that the armor is rendered too matte and could be more reflective with some bright highlights in there. Thats all I got, it does look really cool

perhaps this video tutorial can be of use to you as he talks about the differences between matte objects versus metal reflective objects.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Design-wise, so far they all have hefty upper bodies and skinny lower bodies, maybe try some with opposite proportions. also, more variations on helmets would probably make each concept more unique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The only thing I see is that the lighting on the armor could be better, but it's not far off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As suggested above, helmet variations could help establish character since I would say that is the primary strength behind these concepts. There is definitely a sense of attitude ranging from character to character and this can be accentuated further with variations in helmet, tall ones having winged helms for example or the short fat one having a bulkier helmet with breathing holes. Basically shapes that help ground the overall silhouette of the character. I would also look at Dark Souls concept art to see a nice mix of real armor studies combined with unique ideas that differentiate the armor sets themselves. Adding patterns is usually what I like to do in order to add some detail, especially gold colored edges that wrap around the armor both adding detail and reinforcing the shape, it's also great for adding more color.

Last edited by zhu529; 1 Week Ago at 06:15 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 50