Virtual Reality for Artists

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Virtual Reality for Artists

There are currently several Companys working on 'bringing gaming to the next level' by developing virtual reality devices such as the Oculus Rift or Sony's Morpheus.

Name:  AQ86176.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  24.7 KB
    Morpheus.

Name:  oculus-rift-teamfortress-omni-treadmill-640x353.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  43.8 KB
    View through the Oculus Rift.

While these devices seem to make for an unique experience playing video games with them, i was wondering if they could be useful for aspiring artists as well. And i am not talking about some abstract kind of painting in 3D space but simply for observing reference material.
    When looking at photographs of famous buildings like the colosseum or the akropolis what we see is a 2D projection which shows only a very small portion of the actual structure. And if the picture is taken from further away it loses the impressive scale of the monument and it is reduced to something resembling a miniature.

With a virtual reality device and a accurate 3D model you could wander through the buildings and observe them from close distance as well as from far away and get a pretty good impression of the actual size and the relation of the individual parts to each other.
    I think these gadgets could be used for more than blowing away virtual terrorists, aliens and alien terrorists.

So, what are your thoughts on this matter?

Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant.

Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think what you're describing will be a great experience for just about anyone really, not just artists. It's like google views/street view on steroids- I like to browse there and visit strange places, or places that are too far away to actually visit. It helps to make things more real, more tangible than "non-interactive" photos for instance.

The thing is though that even if you're looking at a 3D environment in which you can navigate, it's just an illusion nevertheless. What you're actually seeing is still 2D, or, more precisely, 2D images rendered from a 3D model.

So, yes, I think it'll be awesome and will help broaden our horizons & explore and experience stuff we are not be able to experience in that way today. But it'll never, ever be comparable to life drawing/ looking at actual, real things with your own eyes. Translating the actual visual field onto paper and observing how light and colour behave in real life will only be possible in real life- at least until we can actually tap into our brains Matrix-style and create "digital realities".

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiggeraz View Post
    So, what are your thoughts on this matter?
    I can see some advantages but I'm more worried about some glaring problems.

1. Keep in mind that anything created for these devices is somebody else's art. Aside from the obvious issues dealing with copyright, when working from someone else's creation there will always be influences from that artist, no matter how close to the original they get. You don't want to go fooling yourself into thinking that working from someone else's 3D representation of something is the same as looking at the actual thing itself. And even with modern hi-tech computers there are technical limitations that require those artists to have more influence (for example in how they might indicate details when facing a limiting poly-count. For that reason it might be better with these things to be working from a rougher 3D block-in than a precise model, as it will force you to be the artist to work creatively to make up for what is missing, not the creator of the environment that you are looking at.

2. With the goggles on you can't see your sketch pad/cintiq/computer screen. With them off you can't see what you are drawing from. When working from a photo (or even better, real life) you can have both at the same time. Any attempt at bringing a drawing program into a VR device like occulus rift is going to feel detatched and gimmicky. It will be much easier to run around taking screen grabs and then tracing later, and the temptation to do so defeats a lot of the advantages of being able to have a closer-to-life experience to work from.

3. Nothing can replace drawing from life. Nothing. Not even VR. I realize that suburbia might be dull compared to the coliseum or some crumbling Gothic castle, but you will learn more from sitting in the food court of a shopping mall and trying to replicate what you see into linear perspective than you will from a VR headset. As long as that's the case you don't need any of the worlds that you would get from a VR program to learn, and once you have learned you will be able to create what you want without the VR as well. It will continue to be that way until we have full on Star Trek style hollodecks.

edit: looks like most of what I said was already posted before I finished typing.

Last edited by Peter Coene; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:03 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Coene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coene View Post
    I can see some advantages but I'm more worried about some glaring problems.

1. Keep in mind that anything created for these devices is somebody else's art. Aside from the obvious issues dealing with copyright, when working from someone else's creation there will always be influences from that artist, no matter how close to the original they get. You don't want to go fooling yourself into thinking that working from someone else's 3D representation of something is the same as looking at the actual thing itself. And even with modern hi-tech computers there are technical limitations that require those artists to have more influence (for example in how they might indicate details when facing a limiting poly-count. For that reason it might be better with these things to be working from a rougher 3D block-in than a precise model, as it will force you to be the artist to work creatively to make up for what is missing, not the creator of the environment that you are looking at.

2. With the goggles on you can't see your sketch pad/cintiq/computer screen. With them off you can't see what you are drawing from. When working from a photo (or even better, real life) you can have both at the same time. Any attempt at bringing a drawing program into a VR device like occulus rift is going to feel detatched and gimmicky. It will be much easier to run around taking screen grabs and then tracing later, and the temptation to do so defeats a lot of the advantages of being able to have a closer-to-life experience to work from.

3. Nothing can replace drawing from life. Nothing. Not even VR. I realize that suburbia might be dull compared to the coliseum or some crumbling Gothic castle, but you will learn more from sitting in the food court of a shopping mall and trying to replicate what you see into linear perspective than you will from a VR headset. As long as that's the case you don't need any of the worlds that you would get from a VR program to learn, and once you have learned you will be able to create what you want without the VR as well. It will continue to be that way until we have full on Star Trek style hollodecks.
    Regarding 1 & 2, my general thought was not to work directly from observation when wearing the glasses but more to get the general idea of how certain buildings are constructed and look from various angles. As you mentioned it would be very jerky trying to draw something on a pad when you can't even see your pen. It would most likely be more like visiting the desired building, just without the travel expenses, and returning to the drawing board and applying the impressions.

And i think this concept certainly isn't limited to motionless subjects like the mentioned monuments. Complicated machinery would be an interesting topic to take a look at as well. Imagine visiting an accurate virtual reflection of a factory for mechanical parts for example, this would probably give a better understanding of how every interconnected part of a huge machine works than looking at pictures of the subject. Plus it would be no big deal to make parts translucent to get a good look of the inner life of the machine.

Of course this won't replace drawing from life. How could it? Drawing with a huge chunk of technology in front of your eyes will probably be as much fun as it sounds.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Of course this won't replace drawing from life. How could it? Drawing with a huge chunk of technology in front of your eyes will probably be as much fun as it sounds.
    I distinctly remember someone posting in here a few months ago with that very idea- using oculus rift for virtual life drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Regarding 1 & 2, my general thought was not to work directly from observation when wearing the glasses but more to get the general idea of how certain buildings are constructed and look from various angles. As you mentioned it would be very jerky trying to draw something on a pad when you can't even see your pen. It would most likely be more like visiting the desired building, just without the travel expenses, and returning to the drawing board and applying the impressions.

And i think this concept certainly isn't limited to motionless subjects like the mentioned monuments. Complicated machinery would be an interesting topic to take a look at as well. Imagine visiting an accurate virtual reflection of a factory for mechanical parts for example, this would probably give a better understanding of how every interconnected part of a huge machine works than looking at pictures of the subject. Plus it would be no big deal to make parts translucent to get a good look of the inner life of the machine.

Ah, misunderstood the intent. That's true to some extent. Keep in mind though that a strong imagination can turn anything into that same feeling. I've seen artists take what they saw looking up at the insides of mall food courts and transform the same perspective into the interior of Gothic cathedrals. Most downtown areas in any town that is more than 100 years old will sport buildings that are copying aspects of the architecture of ancient monuments. The trick is being able to see what is right in front of your face.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,534 Times in 3,725 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    One day the world will be 3d scanned. Then using something like google glass, may make it possible to see and draw at the same time. Me? I'll be looking for the glitches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    One day the world will be 3d scanned. Then using something like google glass, may make it possible to see and draw at the same time. Me? I'll be looking for the glitches.
    deja vu?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    I distinctly remember someone posting in here a few months ago with that very idea- using oculus rift for virtual life drawing
    Indeed. Deja vu.

Why people insist on introducing layers of layers of hurdles between the artist and the canvas, is beyond me. "Everything is better with technology" attitude, perhaps. I, for one, would love to remove any and all layers of indirection between me and my work.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    Indeed. Deja vu.
    Found your glitch in the Matrix already, Black Spot!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh! Don't tempt me Peter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Found your glitch in the Matrix already, Black Spot!
    Ooh! Don't tempt me Peter.
    didn't realize I was tempting you... also don't know why the word "glitch" became a link. I was just making a joke about your comment about the world being 3D mapped and looking for glitches sounded like "the matrix," (because deja vu in the matrix often indicates a glitch which means tampering by the computers) and then someone (not just me) said something about dejavu related to another comment... it just seemed like perfect coincidence...

edit: Ok, that is really weird; I did not write up a link or anything, but apparently in that one example the word "glitch" became a link to a thread for bug reports. Did a mod do that to mess with my head?

Last edited by Peter Coene; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    didn't realize I was tempting you... also don't know why the word "glitch" became a link. I was just making a joke about your comment about the world being 3D mapped and looking for glitches sounded like "the matrix," (because deja vu in the matrix often indicates a glitch which means tampering by the computers) and then someone (not just me) said something about dejavu related to another comment... it just seemed like perfect coincidence...

edit: Ok, that is really weird; I did not write up a link or anything, but apparently in that one example the word "glitch" became a link to a thread for bug reports. Did a mod do that to mess with my head?
    It's probably just a glitch.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, that's a feature where certain words change into links. Try typing my name.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, that's a feature where certain words change into links. Try typing my name.
    ... Black Spot ...

edit: nothing happened. Am I being trolled by admin now?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm... that should have worked. Things do keep changing in the background though and I don't catch them all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BLECK SPET !

Edit:
    Nothing happens. Why do you lie to us so viciously?

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Besides, this thread has gone from the original topic to shenanigans in less than 20 posts.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh! It's like the good old days.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh! It's like the good old days.
    Having 20 posts in 2 days also sounds like the good ol' days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Virtual reality and the museum of the future

http://blog.europeana.eu/2013/12/vir...of-the-future/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's nice, but who will be colour checking the images? I've been disappointed by catalogues from exhibitions before where the match was abysmal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And i am not talking about some abstract kind of painting in 3D space
    But this looks so much fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following