General Critiques much appreciated

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

General Critiques much appreciated

Hi guys, been a while since i could do anything, had to have the computer fixed! Anyway i did this and would like any critiques big or small or just give your thoughts either way. Rip it apart!

Name:  Alien Pod Nest.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  1.14 MB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work! the only thing i noticed is that the lower part of mountain right in the middle, looks too transparent the grass texture is too obvious there apart from that - great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh right! Thanks for that, i cant believe i didn't notice that. Its glaring now!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! Nice work. I really like it.
    Just few thoughts. First of all. It look a lot like Feng Zhu's work. I mean a lot. The use of textures, subject matter composition, colors, brushwork and signature as well. It's not bad to look like Feng's awesome work, but it's not good either since we've all seen it like zillion times so far and probably gonna see zillion more. So... the first point is lack of personality.
    Second. Even tho i like the general rule of third composition, the left upper and lower corner is distracting. Especially upper left. These strokes look undefined enough to poke my eye.
    But generally it's a nice piece of digital painting. You've learned a lot from tutorials and observing other digital art. Light and (atmospheric) perspective is correct and so forth. Thumbs up for more personal style and exploration.

Last edited by Somelar; 2 Weeks Ago at 05:47 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats bizare and frankly quite annoying that you say that its so similar to Feng Zhu's work but i see where you are coming from. I honestly haven't seen a feng Zhu video or artwork in months. I am just trying to apply my fundamental knowledge as personally as i can. I am not trying to emulate, rather trying to come up with a pleasing image. I think the similarities would come from the time i spent, i didn't take much time on this. Maybe that's why it looks similar.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I think this looks good, but I would spend some more time detailing the focal point. This for me is too loosely defined. I see it is some sort of alien thing, but it is hard to tell what it is exactly. Is it some sort of alien city structure? Is it a gigantic alien destroying a city? This needs to be more obvious. Loosely defined rocks, grass and so on is fine, it can be a positive thing in the sense that it can give more energy to a painting and we all know what it is supposed to look like, and our brain fills in the blanks. But as for your designs, this is something only you see in your head and the main job for a concept designer is to convey this idea to others in a clear way.
    As for the comment that it looks like Feng Zhu´s style of painting and therefore lacks personality. I don´t agree with this one bit. Yes if you were making art for arts sake and trying to build a name for yourself in the fine arts community, it would be wise to have a signature style of painting. But as for concept designers, the job is not to make something that would hang in a gallery somewhere, but to convey ideas and thoughts to others trough painting. Many concept designers and industrial designers paint the same way, but what sets them apart is the designs they make, and that´s what it´s all about. The designs. As long as you make your own designs and don´t rip off someone else´s, I would encourage you to paint whatever way you feel like.
    Keep it up!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bjornar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Having someone say your work looks like Feng's is a compliment in my book, IMHO though; Don't worry about style and personality, keep going with the fundamentals..
    If your stuff really does start looking exactly like Feng's then you've made it, in the words of Shaddy Safadi "The Concept art game is about appearing to be good, if you can do that then you ARE good"
    If you've been doing a crazy amount of master studies from one artist though that's no bueno, should branch out and find artists like Jamie Jones Kekai Kotaki etc etc, see what they're doing and how they got there.

On the actual piece though..
    I feel Like there's just too much stuff going on though.. and your focal point doesn't shine..
    Imho break down some of the details and lose a few edges,

Something like this maybe ?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by darnis; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I understand your trying to help but i dont agree with that image at all. I am not trying to shun everything else and completely focus on the alien structure thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi man. Sorry about that. I did not want to annoy or demotivate you in any way. It was just my opinion, maybe it just sounded too harsh but it may be because of my poor vocabulary in English. Obviously you are not gonna stop after coming that far. You have most of the stuff in right place to look solid enough as i said it before. Overall nice atmosphere and comp etc. Usually i would not bother to mention the resemblances with other artists. But you were asking to rip this piece apart. So... don't get annoyed if the critique you get is not something you would want to hear. In Deviantart you would get only praising.
    But for argument's sake, go to http://www.fengzhudesign.com/ and look up for one canyon-ish landscape from Final Fantasy redesign pic for example + add cyan to deep blue gradients...

And yeah... try to define more the design part if you want to do concept.
    In concept art is the most crucial beside just look cool, to get the idea understandable and fresh.
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh that's fine man! I still really appreciate the critiques! It just felt a little bit like you where accusing me of copying, of which i wasn't - or at least not consciously, but its always good to point out these things. But thanks for the info!

Members who have read this thread: 42