EOW Round #237: Ruptured Submarine Interior - (Winner: thechaoder)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: EOW Round #237: Ruptured Submarine Interior - VOTING POLL

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mooglesarelittle

15 50.00%
  • danilluzin

0 0%
  • TheDecline

0 0%
  • Renegade21

2 6.67%
  • mirichuuei

1 3.33%
  • thechaoder

17 56.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

EOW Round #237: Ruptured Submarine Interior

TOPIC: Ruptured Submarine Interior

Brief:

Show us the insides and inner workings of a ruptured submarine. Underwater or on land is optional.

Brief:
    1. Design an environment that adheres to the topic/theme.
    2. You must post at least once in this W.I.P. thread to be included in the finals thread for the voting poll.

Congratulations to popicok for winning Round #235!

Deadline: September 2, 2014

Post your final entries in this thread.

Thanks.

-

Website

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    perchaow

Attached Images Attached Images  

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mooglesarelittle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so yup my first eow
    i imagined the submarine that got into a catastrophe and sunken.....then the water level change dramatically leaving submarine laying on the surface...years later it is discovered.
    i had no experience drawing interiors before though
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	submarine eow.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	317.7 KB 
ID:	2026408

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the final. The view of some doomed submariner watching his time tick away
    Name:  Final - Ruptured Sub.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  57.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sunken nuclear submarine

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I don't grow old, I level up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sunken submarine exploration.
    Name:  submarinewreck.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  534.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Mooglesarelittle: I like the mood you created. I can almost hear the alarm signal and the red light signals going crazy in that chamber. But some places are left too rough for a finished piece, I think.

@danilluzin: Good job with lighting and rusty material. But its very hard to identify it as a submarine interior. I think you should study some references and look for unique elements which make our subject(submarine interior, in this case) identifiable.

@TheDecline: Your basic setup is good. Only missing things are small scale details, like cables, dials, debris, etc. which is easy once you decide to put some time to it .

@Renegade21: Nice composition and lighting. My only suggestion for you is to free up. Please don't be so rigid with your lines and perspective.

@mirichuuei: Good effort. Keep it up. Concentrate more on values, composition and perspective.

@thechaoder: Good Job. Slightly tilted camera. Good amount of details. Great composition. Perfect atmosphere, though I am doubtful about the caustics, but I am nitpicking . Btw you got my vote .

Last edited by Coool Brain; 1 Week Ago at 01:58 PM.
    Coool Brain

Coool Brain's Blog

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Coool Brain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @CooolBrain yup you are totally right maybe its my decision to leave it out in the air instead of water and trying to go for more "steampunk-ish" look, that also made my piece wonder off too far from the subject

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey y'all, trying to be a bit less lazy and offer some constructive criticism haha.

@Mooglesarelittle: Really like this piece, can totally feel the chaos of the situation. I like the looseness of the ripped up wall where the torpedo is coming through. I also really like the blur you've used to focus the attention onto torpedo. Out of curiosity I'd like to know how you did it; is it the blur tool? Anyways my one piece of criticism would be that the perspective on the left wall doesn't line up perfectly with the rest of the piece. Not hugely noticeable though.

@danilluzin: There's a real painterly touch to this piece that I really admire but as CooolBrain already stated it doesn't look like a submarine interior. Some research and references would totally help you out. If it looked more like a real submarine interior it would totally have earned my vote as the atmopshere, color, and painterly touch are excellent.

@TheDecline: You need to add a little more contrast to the scene. There are basically only two shades of brown for the shadows. Also, the circles in the paint strokes in the water reflections are kind of bugging me. When you use a hard brush try to decrease your brush spacing so that these circles don't appear, especially when you're using transparent strokes on hard brushes. One trick you can use if your computer can't handle it is to make a temporary layer, make a mark on a soft brush and then erase the edges with a hard edged eraser. This will give you a perfectly blended stroke with hard edges without the circles. Regardless, I can improvement over your last piece so keep working at it!

@Renegade21: Feels a bit too tight as CooolBrain has already mentioned. Try loosening up. A bit more research on submarine interiors might help. Although it looks cool if it wasn't for the divers and the water I wouldn't even think it was submarine. Last, I think the human figures look a little off. They look a bit stretched out. Still, I really like this piece. There's a lot of skill going into rendering all these elements in correct perspective, just try loosening up a bit!

@mirichuuei: I think the main thing that is holding this piece back is the color. To me, there's not enough blue to make it feel like the interior has been ruptured and filled with water. The lighting on the top corner makes it feel as if this submarine is still functional and just floating around somewhere underwater. The only indication, for me, that the submarine is damaged is the rust on the walls and a slightly tilted camera to suggest that sub is resting unevenly on the ocean floor somewhere. I do like the mood that is being conveyed in this piece! But to me it feels too cozy to be a ruptured interior.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thechaoder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @thechaoder thanks, I see your point...

I don't grow old, I level up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Coool Brain: Thanks for the comment. Grinding and getting those small details is definitely a weakness for me so I'll have to focus more on that in the future. Attaining that will definitely go a long way in creating very rich imagery.

Thechaoder: Thank you as well for your comments. Hopefully thinking more about lighting in the future will help make the contrast and colors of my work more interesting. Regarding the circles, those were a left over artifact from my original low - res "underpainting" done at my computer at work. I was so pleased with the mark making that I left it but looking again I can see it as being a potential eyesore. I really liked your piece on this one and I'm looking forward to seeing more.

• 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook