idea for a "no bump" option when posting?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

idea for a "no bump" option when posting?

Ok, so, I've noticed that there are a few threads from way back in the day that kind of resurface, and some of them (imho) deserve to be allowed to die peacefully. However, in asking that they thread not be necro'd, we give it a bump ourselves. I try to only do this when the thread has already been newly brought back to avoid total hypocrisy, but I think I've thought of an interesting work around, if the admins would like to consider it, and of course only if its feasible.

My idea; allow for a "no bump" check box in the options when replying to threads. That way we can, for one thing, allow people to ask others to not bump threads without doing so themselves. For another thing, it can allow people who feel the need to reply to something to use some judgement to avoid dragging a topic last posted on 5 years ago back into the lime-light, even if they feel the insatiable urge to post on it. Whatcha think, mods?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,623 Times in 3,780 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Trouble is that if people start a new thread to ask a question, they get told to search the forum as it has already been answered, making it a lose/lose situation. And sometimes it's interesting to re-read old threads.

Just to add Ron only comes in here every couple of years.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Trouble is that if people start a new thread to ask a question, they get told to search the forum as it has already been answered, making it a lose/lose situation. And sometimes it's interesting to re-read old threads.

Just to add Ron only comes in here every couple of years.
    Oh, I understand that. That's why it would be a check-box option; giving the person posting the ability to be a bit judicious about what they bump. In cases where the thread deserves bumping, such as those where the topic is helpful regardless of when the advice was posted then the person replying could leave the "no-bump" checkbox empty, and thus the thread will be brought up to the top like it usually would be. On the other hand, if it is a thread about something rather silly, like the OP's sexual feelings towards "My Little Pony" characters people can reply and tell them how pathologically messed up they are, but by checking the box they allow the thread to die rather than subject the entire forum to half a decade of derp-posts being continually resuscitated every time someone wants to tell the OP how f**ked up in the head they are.

Best of both worlds. Granted, there will still be the problem of people intentionally bumping their own threads because they themselves can choose to not check the box when replying, but its a lot more difficult to keep a thread continually in zombie form when you're having to do all the work yourself.

edit: I actually should have named this thread, "idea for a 'no bump' option when REPLYING TO POSTS"

Last edited by Peter Coene; August 28th, 2014 at 09:56 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 17