*Insert Title Here*
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: *Insert Title Here*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

*Insert Title Here*

So last night I sat down to draw a pic of actress Catharine Bell from a pic I found on the web in order to update my DB. Unfortunutly, it refused to come out right. Annoyed, I did a sketch of one of the main characters from my webcomic and threw in some profile shots. Then I went to bed. This morning, I decided to ink it, and then figured "What the hell," and colored it with Flash and Photoshop 5LE*.

BTW, does the thiness of the paper affect the qaulity of the inking? I've noticed that no matter what I do, the inking still looks shoddy. Part of its my level of skill, but I'm starting to wonder if the paper is also a factor.

*Flash was for a college course in 2D animation, and the photoshop I've had for a couple of years. I have 'em, so I use 'em

Steve
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, then to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat."
    -Theodore Roosevelt.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

On an attack ship on fire, off the shoulder of Orion....
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, your line weight only has one value, meaning the lines of the character are the same thickness all the way around the character. If you look at some of the other art on this site, you'll notice people use line weight to bring things closer or push things away from the viewer's eye.

As for the coloring, it's extremely simple, just sort of blocking in everything in one, big, dark mass. Use contrast to make it more interesting to look at, and play with shadows on the face.

Other than that, practice anatomy a lot, and try to work on your proportions. Practice getting good at drawing realistic human beings. When you become good at that, your stylized humans (and everything else for that matter) will look a lot better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodrodius
    As for the coloring, it's extremely simple, just sort of blocking in everything in one, big, dark mass. Use contrast to make it more interesting to look at, and play with shadows on the face.
    I've never had any luck with light and shadow or contrast. I'm this close to giving up on it. I'm not going to, but its fustrating as all hell and makes me want to break things.

Steve
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, then to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat."
    -Theodore Roosevelt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've never had any luck with light and shadow or contrast. I'm this close to giving up on it. I'm not going to, but its fustrating as all hell and makes me want to break things.

Heh, luck has nothing to do with it. Just keep practicing, it will click eventually.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bet you've read a lot about light, contrast, form and whatnot. Do some small practice sessions focusing on one thing at a time. Take a moment to think about how you can practise for instance light/shadow without doing kool characters or trying to figure out clothing. Do a short practise and later the aquired skills will show up in what ever you do.

It is easy to loose focus while practicing technical stuff so keep practice simpel and to the point. If you're not getting anywhere doing heads, try doing eyes, lips and so on in separate sessions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    studiopc-

as ive tried to tell you before, drop this project your trying to do. its not going to help you out at all righ now. your really need to focus on your basics right now. also i might be a good idea to drop flash and photoshop right now. these are tool for the experienced and well, your not. get yourslef some anatomy books and try to draw the human body with some structure, right now your stuff looks like boneless people. also, and i know its hard to break style habbits, stay away form anime. its like a curse to all noobs. it really messes up your perception of the body due to all the stylization (huge eyes, small nose, small mouth) true anime artist know there stuff down so tightly that when they play with anatomy they do it with confidence that allows you to look past some anatomy. if you are indeed serious about this you will listen to what im saying and hopefully it'll get you started down a better path of learning to draw better

-=[ Sinister Six Sketch Group ]=-
    -=[ Cookiedough Fooxoo |ntern Hyver Character Evildisco]=-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh, luck has nothing to do with it. Just keep practicing, it will click eventually.
    That's sort of what I've been doing . . . I've been angling towards toony styles where shading isn't as important as line weight and three dimensionality.

Now, I just have to work out the tricks of line weight . . .

Steve
    -Theodore Roosevelt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by carnalizer
    I bet you've read a lot about light, contrast, form and whatnot. Do some small practice sessions focusing on one thing at a time. Take a moment to think about how you can practise for instance light/shadow without doing kool characters or trying to figure out clothing. Do a short practise and later the aquired skills will show up in what ever you do.

It is easy to loose focus while practicing technical stuff so keep practice simpel and to the point. If you're not getting anywhere doing heads, try doing eyes, lips and so on in separate sessions.
    Well we did some light and shade in the intermediate drawing class I took in the spring . . . and I still didn't get it.

Steve
    -Theodore Roosevelt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by |NTeRN
    studiopc-

as ive tried to tell you before, drop this project your trying to do. its not going to help you out at all righ now. your really need to focus on your basics right now. also i might be a good idea to drop flash and photoshop right now. these are tool for the experienced and well, your not. get yourslef some anatomy books and try to draw the human body with some structure, right now your stuff looks like boneless people. also, and i know its hard to break style habbits, stay away form anime. its like a curse to all noobs. it really messes up your perception of the body due to all the stylization (huge eyes, small nose, small mouth) true anime artist know there stuff down so tightly that when they play with anatomy they do it with confidence that allows you to look past some anatomy. if you are indeed serious about this you will listen to what im saying and hopefully it'll get you started down a better path of learning to draw better
    I wasn't even trying for anime. It's an influence thing. As for the project, I can't. I've dropped or given up on too many things so far as it is, over the years. Call me stubborn, but I'm not going to give it up. I can't.

Steve
    -Theodore Roosevelt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by StudioPC
    I wasn't even trying for anime. It's an influence thing. As for the project, I can't. I've dropped or given up on too many things so far as it is, over the years. Call me stubborn, but I'm not going to give it up. I can't.
    well you should... if you want to improve... its your call tho... im done wasting my time trying to help you and being ignored

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, no matter what you call it, Anime or influence, it's cheating you out of advancing. Take the nose for example. From the profile it's quite rounded at the end, but from the front view it's sharp enough to tear through time and space. You're using calligraphy to avoid drawing the nose.

As for the project, I can't. I've dropped or given up on too many things so far as it is, over the years. Call me stubborn, but I'm not going to give it up. I can't.
    Come on man, this is just an excuse. What you are really doing is giving up on an oppurtunity to become a great artist. This project of yours will be severely handicapped if you don't first master the basics. Sooner or later you'll have to face it. Why face it later?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by |NTeRN
    well you should... if you want to improve... its your call tho... im done wasting my time trying to help you and being ignored
    . . . ?

I'm not ignoring you. I appreciate the time that you and everyone else has taken to comment and offer advice. If you truly believe you're wasting your time because you see no immediate improvement or changes in my art, that's your call.

Thanks for your time and advice.

Steve
    -Theodore Roosevelt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, no matter what you call it, Anime or influence, it's cheating you out of advancing. Take the nose for example. From the profile it's quite rounded at the end, but from the front view it's sharp enough to tear through time and space. You're using calligraphy to avoid drawing the nose.

Come on man, this is just an excuse. What you are really doing is giving up on an oppurtunity to become a great artist. This project of yours will be severely handicapped if you don't first master the basics. Sooner or later you'll have to face it. Why face it later?
    I don't think of facing it later, I think of it as being able to look at myself in the mirror and go; "Well you're not a complete lard ass, there's a project that you have pride in, that you care about enough to keep thinking of and working on, so you're not a complete screw off slacker."

In regards to the profile, I look at it now, and I don't think it even looks like the same guy. You're quite right about the nose, but everytime I try to draw the more regular kind of nose, it looks . . . wrong is as good a word as any.

I don't know if any of this makes sense outside of my own brain, but its how I feel. *Shrugs*

Steve
    -Theodore Roosevelt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not ignoring you. I appreciate the time that you and everyone else has taken to comment and offer advice. If you truly believe you're wasting your time because you see no immediate improvement or changes in my art, that's your call.

Thanks for your time and advice.
    Well I mean come on bro, everytime he suggests something or comments on something you give an excuse instead of taking the advice. He tells you to quit this project and practice, you tell him you can't quit because you've "given up too many things in your life as it is". (Give me a break) He tells you to lay off the anime till you improve, you tell him that you "weren't going for anime, it's an influence thing". I tell you to practive shading and contrast, you tell me you've "been angling towards toony styles where shading isn't as important".

It's pretty frustrating man. In my school there are lots of kids like you, who make an excuse for every single critique they receive, and they all end up dropping out. But even the kids are really shitty artists to start with that are able to stop making excuses and just do what others tell them to do (along with lots of practice) can become very good artists. You REALLY need to change your attitude (not that you are rude, just sooo many excuses) if you want to improve.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I mean come on bro, everytime he suggests something or comments on something you give an excuse instead of taking the advice. He tells you to quit this project and practice, you tell him you can't quit because you've "given up too many things in your life as it is". (Give me a break) He tells you to lay off the anime till you improve, you tell him that you "weren't going for anime, it's an influence thing". I tell you to practive shading and contrast, you tell me you've "been angling towards toony styles where shading isn't as important".

It's pretty frustrating man. In my school there are lots of kids like you, who make an excuse for every single critique they receive, and they all end up dropping out. But even the kids are really shitty artists to start with that are able to stop making excuses and just do what others tell them to do (along with lots of practice) can become very good artists. You REALLY need to change your attitude (not that you are rude, just sooo many excuses) if you want to improve.
    Ah. At the risk of sounding like I'm doing just that, they're not excuses or at least not intended to be, I'm just trying to explain why I did what I did and where I'm coming from in terms of approach.

Though looking back, the shading thing does sound pretty lame.

Steve
    -Theodore Roosevelt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah. At the risk of sounding like I'm doing just that, they're not excuses or at least not intended to be, I'm just trying to explain why I did what I did and where I'm coming from in terms of approach.

Well I'll put it like this. If this project is honestly more important to you than improving your art skill, this is the wrong hobby for you. It sounds to me like what you really want to do is tell stories, and that's fine. But if you want to learn how to draw, you are going to have to start from scratch, and this project is going not only going to sap your time, (Which you need to be able to practice) it's going to force you to try to run when you're not even crawling yet, and that's going to cause some very bad habits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I'll put it like this. If this project is honestly more important to you than improving your art skill, this is the wrong hobby for you. It sounds to me like what you really want to do is tell stories, and that's fine. But if you want to learn how to draw, you are going to have to start from scratch, and this project is going not only going to sap your time, (Which you need to be able to practice) it's going to force you to try to run when you're not even crawling yet, and that's going to cause some very bad habits.
    I don't think its more important then improving my skills, but it is something I feel I need to keep on doing. Even intermintently, so long as I keep doing it.

Steve
    -Theodore Roosevelt.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why cant he do both?
    continue his project and grow as an artist?

my advice is to change the approach you have towards art ,i think thats holding you back. not the project.

-jose

No man should be less than what he is.
    sketchbook- http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61756

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well he could do both, but like I said, it's going to cause some bad habits. Telling a story with pictures is difficult, and if you don't yet have the skill to do so, you start "cheating" to hide areas of weakness. What Studio needs to do is start from scratch, and unlearn his bad habits. But if he has some kind of webcomic project that forces him to repeat these bad habits over and over, they aren't going to go away.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you should check out Andrew Loomis' Successful Drawing - http://www.fineart.sk/index.php?s=0&cat=15 and any other books by Loomis on http://www.fineart.sk . It's free and will help answer some of your questions about shading. Study basic form (box, ball, cone,etc) and perspective, you got to learn how to see and draw 3dimensionally, as shading is really just differing degrees of light affecting the surfaces of forms. Try getting your hands on Glenn Vilpu's Drawing Manual, it well help teach you to analyze the 3 dimensions of what you're seeing.

Even in cartoony styles they are using basic forms. The result may look 2dimensional, but it is all drawn on top of basic form. Learn, learn, learn basic forms.

Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well he could do both, but like I said, it's going to cause some bad habits. Telling a story with pictures is difficult, and if you don't yet have the skill to do so, you start "cheating" to hide areas of weakness. What Studio needs to do is start from scratch, and unlearn his bad habits. But if he has some kind of webcomic project that forces him to repeat these bad habits over and over, they aren't going to go away.

i understand completly. however all the bad effects that you state come from him doing his project really come from mindset and attitude.

the "cheating" comes from lazyness, and a horrible attitude towards learning.
    dropping his project wont change his disposition towards learning.

He'll just continue to approach whatever else he does in the same manner.
    or like intern said a couple posts ago, just stop drawing altogether.

-jose

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jose-

it would be a good idea to drop the project because he already has characters worked out for them. the characters, like the one from above, are down in a bad quality, and continuing the project will keep him doing the same characters in the same way. im saying he should give up the project entirely, just put it on hold till he has the basic skills to take it on.

jetpack42 is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i bow to the wisdom of sensei silverslash.

i you too |ntern.

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks jet i just get so frustrated when it appears studiopc isn't listening. but i fell so bad about just giving up that i try to help again. i do want you to get better studiopc, you just have to also.

jetpack42 is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If he is meant to be on the path, he will find it. You can only show him the way.

I think jose inspired me!

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a copy of the tao te ching does wonders for the disposition ...oh and porn

jetpack- glad i inspired you, now share some of that.

intern,Woodrodius- thx for explaining what you meant, much respect and

-jose

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.