Thanks

Faun - Color & Light 1.1

Here is my first attempt. I started with sketching outdoor from life and then took a photo and finished it from that. Unfortunately I can't control the light in my room at all, massive window with no blinds and 27inch shining monitor. Even at night the light from the monitor is too bright :-| . I might try for a traditional medium next .

Medium to dark key, diffused light from the cloudy sky.

Name:  portrait 1.png
Views: 619
Size:  165.7 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    That looks super cool to me, like a photo!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    Really nice atmosphere happening and your edge range is definitely a strong point.

Look for more accurate and descriptive planar shapes, and shapes which better describe the forms. Your smoothing can sometimes overly soften the the form and I think there is room for improvement there, in terms of balancing atmosphere with visual solidity. Take a look at 3d models...the mesh...for heads. A quick google search for 3d model head mesh will show you how modelers describe forms with shapes that accurately wrap around the overall structure.

keep up the great work.

jm

Thanks
    Thanks Jason, I can definitely see what you mean by my forms being too soft.
    I have tried completely different approach with this one and I tried to to see planes and form. Its actually quite difficult, some of the planes I had to sort of "abstractly invent" because my lighting was too complicated for me to be able to logically understand to whats happening with the form. I worked from photo so i couldn't turn my face to try to figure it all out. At first My head looked a bit like Krypton, but i softened most of the planes so it feels more organic, at the same time trying no to go too far - too soft.
    Fun, I want to try this with traditional medium.

Name:  portrait 2.png
Views: 437
Size:  259.0 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by McCloud View Post
    That looks super cool to me, like a photo!

Cheers man, too much like a photo unfortunately, I went for a different approach in the next one

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    this is really nice. my only comment is the light side of the face needs transition between values as it is causing the head to seem more planar than it is..where the shadow side is more subtly handled. great job.

jm