Books on Maya

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Books on Maya

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Books on Maya

Hi
    I've been a bit slow on getting my aplications in for 3D modelling schools in sweden (most starts this week, so I guess I missed the application date ).

Been thinking on tackling Maya on my own and get into class the next term.

So, as always when stuck , I turn to u guys;

What are the best book on "Learning MAya" out there ? (the price is not an issue right now)

My work as a tattooer www.gallontattoos.wordpress.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do NOT recommend the Learning Maya books by Alias. It does a poor job explaining the functions and tools. Instead it just tells you to do this... input this number here...click here... etc. Very dry learning. I pretty much learned on my own by figuring what things do. "What happens if this is a really high or low number?"

Now I know Maya enough to know a good book when I see one. Look for Maya 5 Fundamentals published by New Riders. Though Maya 6 is out so depending on how up to date your class is you might want to wait for that. I'm not sure if they made a new book so check it out.

There's a lot more text in the Fundamentals book. It explains tools and terms, and gets to other things like rendering in HDRI and it has chapters talking about the differences between Max and Lightwave to Maya so it's easier for you to move to a different 3D package.

I haven't read through all of the Alias books, but the beginner Maya book they have isn't that great. I'm an animation lab assistant at my college. We've been using those Maya books in every beginner class and I'm not pleased with it.

There's a bunch of mixed reviews between those two books in Amazon. The one thing I find they both have in common is that the student has to be able to learn on their own. Have fun and play with the software, you can probably gain a good chunk of knowledge from doing that. Another part of learning is going to other websites and taking a look at their tutorials. http://3dtotal.com/ and http://www.cgtalk.com are good places to start. This forum isn't that great on 3D art. No disrespect to CA.org, I love this place, but it's lacking in the 3D. cgtalk is the opposite, great on 3D but lacks in traditional media.

Wow, my post is longer than I thought, hope it helps

Ok, I'm done posting... Back to drawin'!

Ephesians 2:8
    Sketchbooks Finished: 9 (Dec 17, 2006)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think half the battle is that youre on the internet - i've bought my fair share of books, and i think that some are worthwhile, but a lot are very good at stating the obvious and charging you an arm and a leg for the privelage

over the years i'd say i've probably learnt more from the web, so if it helps heres some links *you probably know them, but what the hey*

Learning Maya.com - 1200 free tutorials
    CGTalk - Maya Tutorials thread
    CGtalk - Maya Faq Thread

(hanging round the forums is a good idea in general - and theres probably loads more maya related ones out there somewhere, you just need to find them)

good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is great. Thank you very much.I'll order the book straight away. and dive headfirst into the other realm of art-forums

My work as a tattooer www.gallontattoos.wordpress.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.