Figure Drawing Crit

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Figure Drawing Crit

Because self improvement and art college portfolios. My top three schools are Calarts, RCAD, and SVA
    Name:  poopi.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  282.8 KBName:  e.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  1.43 MB
    Name:  IMGP0976.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  681.9 KBName:  IMGP0980.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  466.5 KB
    Name:  IMGP0956.JPG
Views: 345
Size:  1.21 MBName:  IMGP0994.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  725.0 KB
    Name:  IMGP0988.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  648.6 KBName:  IMGP0995.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  703.3 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The anatomy, gesture and form in general are amazing, certainly something I couldn't do. But i feel the faces, although well done, are a bit too stylized and cartoony (especially in profile) to fit such realistic figures

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GabilloElPillo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,464 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good start. Try to rely less on squiggly lines (especially in small forms like fingers), more on underlying structure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The feel and gestures of the poses are really spot on, but I would try and keep an eye on the proportions of the face. Sometimes the wonky proportions of the face distract from the overall gesture and feel of the pose that you've worked hard to establish. Overall though, nice portfolio, and keep on going. It's looking great.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ACE51596 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    Good start. Try to rely less on squiggly lines (especially in small forms like fingers), more on underlying structure.
    Will do, they look pretty weak right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GabilloElPillo View Post
    The anatomy, gesture and form in general are amazing, certainly something I couldn't do. But i feel the faces, although well done, are a bit too stylized and cartoony (especially in profile) to fit such realistic figures
    Yeah I noticed that, definitely have to keep it in mind. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not too bad overall...the "multiple hands" one with the background filled in in red is quite nice.

Art-school admission people want to see your command of the basics, though, and your present clumsiness with shading and color is obscuring your skill. If you're looking to apply to art schools, I'd suggest you do some new ones--in black charcoal only, and either of the head only or the full figure--not cropping at the hip as you've done in some of these. If you're going to do a clothed figure, make sure the clothing is sufficiently well-rendered that the forms are clearly readable (your second drawing of the woman in the dress is confusing and flat.)

Hope that is of some use.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  1.43 MB
    Name:  Scan2000e3.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  1.51 MB
    Name:  ttt.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  1.51 MB
    Drawings from today: worked on experimentation, speeding up the poses, and keeping it loose.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,464 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Pay more attention to proportions and structure. Lots more. You cannot hide the poor proportions behind stylish swashes with conte.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What do you think about these? From Thursday.
    Name:  tumblr_ncjkifdXxa1r0pqleo3_1280.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  503.9 KB
    Name:  tumblr_ncjkifdXxa1r0pqleo1_1280.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  371.7 KB
    Name:  tumblr_ncjkifdXxa1r0pqleo5_1280.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  1.22 MB
    Name:  tumblr_ncjkifdXxa1r0pqleo4_1280.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  1.15 MB
    Name:  tumblr_ncjkifdXxa1r0pqleo2_1280.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  379.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that they look really nice. I like your personal style and how you suggest the forms. However they all have more or less severe issues with proportion, Your expressive style makes it easier to overlook these issues and in some few cases it even enhances the picture, but I think that it would be good to have a few figure drawings in your portfolio that are flawless to show that you can do it.

I would recommend that you when you know that you got a longer sitting spend all your effort in getting the proportions and angles just right. Check the angles and distanses with your pen constantly and don't settle for almost right. The heads are almost always to large in your drawings so pay extra attention to that.

Spend more time looking at your subject and less at your drawing. The purpuose of figure drawing is not to make a pretty picture but to practice. You can impress the school and show of your creativity with your personal drawings and other artwork, but if you are going to include figure drawing in your portfolio they should be there to show your command over the basic principles of drawing.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Frida Bergholtz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you guys for the response! I do always try to spice up my work somehow, and I understand how it would come off like I'm hiding my flaws but in it's just how I approach things. Would you guys prefer me to just post academic figure drawings here and leave the design stuff for other social media websites? The last thing I want is it to detract from your crit and the quality of the drawing itself. At this stage in my portfolio I think(like Frida said) I'm focusing more on having a portfolio piece and not enough on actually getting better. I'll definitely be doing a lot more straight charcoal/pen drawings now, because whats the use of flare if you don't know the basics right? Just wondering, in which cases would you guys think the exaggerated proportions would work(if at all)? I know for Calarts you have to be able to show that you understand the figure, in addition to playing with it. Also go to follow the suggestion of rendering clothing fully, and I didn't realize until Arenhaus pointed it how horribly wrong the break dancer/others looked if I turned my head. Anyway thanks guys and hopefully you can crit whatever I post in the future!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think that there is anything wrong with adding a little flair to the life drawings. Its just that if you got time to spare in a drawing you are much better off using that time to correct the drawing rather than adding design elements.

I would reccomend you to make a sketchbook in the sketchbook section and post all your work there. Design, illustration and sketches. The art critique center works best if you got a single piece that you want specific help with.

I don't think that you should think about making good art at all when you do your life drawing sketches. Just relax and focus on drawing what you see in front of you. Just before you need to send in your samples take all your drawings and spread them out and ask your teacher (if you got one) to help you pick out the ones that are most succesful.

Exagerating some things like hands and feet and other body part can enhance a feeling . In your first picture the big feet and legs make him look grounded and sturdy.

Oh and don't forget to look at the negative shapes as well.

• 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook