DmDoodles sketchbook- The road to VisDev!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

DmDoodles sketchbook- The road to VisDev!

Will come up with a more creative title later on, but for now this will be my sketchbook. I've been self-studying art for a while. As a matter of fact, last year was my first year of college, and my first year having a formal art education. However, as i'm still on second foundation level classes in school, I'm still doing alot of learning other stuff myself outside the lessons.
    I've been looking for an effective way of self-study, and have thus far been sort of unsuccessful. It's not as much a matter of me not being willing to do it (because have before and will again), but rather a matter of not knowing where to start. I'm hoping my posting in this sketchbook will prompt others to guide me in the right direction, aswell as critique me.
    And when I say critique, i want to be critiqued as hard as possible.
    There's always going to be something wrong with what i post though, so I'm not too worried about people not being able to find anything.
    I also have a tumblr, which served as a record of my artistic journey, but it's hard doing it alone. While i'm not follower-less, I still don't receive any sort of feedback, which is why im here.
    My goal is to be able to draw whatever I want with ease, as I have alot of ideas in my head that I just can't get out coherently without some sort of anatomy being off, or perspective or me not knowing how to draw landscapes or seascapes. In that sense I also want to broaden my horizons (taking risks is something I have a hard time doing, as i've noticed lately). I don't want to just draw humans, I want to be able to design objects and clothes and creatures, etc in paint, digitally, rendering with pencil/ink etc
    I wouldn't consider myself horrible, but i've still got a LONG way to go
    So i'm going to start by reposting the scans from a sketchbook I did back in june on here

Designated thumbnail image spot:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hogarth01_0003.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	2029176

Last edited by dmdoodles; September 4th, 2014 at 01:32 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really nice work so far. i find that if your using markers work slowly with them you'll get a much smoother coverage. i would love to see some of those basic forms studied from life maybe draw objects like an apple or a box with different perspectives and lighting conditions, using a pencil/pencils will help capture the more subtle tonal differences.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EDIT: resized all the images since they were taking forever to load because they were so big. You can click on them to make them bigger anyway (also moved them to the second post)

Name:	perspective studies_0001.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	2029177

Name:	perspective studies_0002.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	2029178

Name:	perspective studies_0003.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	2029179

Name:	perspective studies_0004.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	2029180
    Like I said, I was looking for an effective way to study and still am not sure of where to start. At one point in time I started studying value, this time around I started with perspective. I need a dedicated approach. I also tend to pick one thing and learn it very closely, and while this can be good and bad, I think it's a sure fire way to get bored with studying quick. So i'm trying to find the right combination of things to study all at the same time. Sorry if its confusing ^_^"

Quote Originally Posted by miinnty View Post
    really nice work so far. i find that if your using markers work slowly with them you'll get a much smoother coverage. i would love to see some of those basic forms studied from life maybe draw objects like an apple or a box with different perspectives and lighting conditions, using a pencil/pencils will help capture the more subtle tonal differences.
    Thanks! These studies are a month old though, and i've since moved onto using pencils of different weights. However, i haven't really explored any tonal differences or value ranges this round. I should probably get on that (that and markmaking so I don't have to blend-shade all of the time)

Here are some more of june's studies. Trying to get all of my previous attempts uploaded so people know where i'm coming from first. Then the stuff I upload will be from that day/week/whatever

Name:	Sketch scans_0001.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	532.5 KB 
ID:	2022198

Name:	Sketch scans_0002.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	537.1 KB 
ID:	2022199

once I finished my short lived perspective studies, I tried making forms and studying from IDsketchers and how they're able to draw different objects. This was also back when I was planning on doing a sketchbook on a different subject a month (june obviously being perspective)
    My lines are wonky here and my forms aren't as neat as I want them to be. This is probably from lack of practice and not spending alot of time since they were quick pen sketches.
    Next are the notes i started taking from Dynamic sketching by Peter Han. Notes from this course helped ALOT (even if i did have to reconstruct the homework assignments from looking at what other students did)

Name:	Sketch scans_0003.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	841.3 KB 
ID:	2022200

Name:	Sketch scans_0004.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	931.9 KB 
ID:	2022201

Name:	Sketch scans_0005.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	1,011.9 KB 
ID:	2022202

Name:	Sketch scans_0006.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	984.8 KB 
ID:	2022203

Name:	Sketch scans_0007.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	2022204

Name:	Sketch scans_0008.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	1,016.5 KB 
ID:	2022205

Last edited by dmdoodles; September 4th, 2014 at 01:31 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More june studies, and the ones that I can say honestly helped me the most-
    Peter Han's contour and shape exercises. Since doing sheets of these i've been able to see form more clearly in objects. Still working on it, but alot better than I was before. It's a learning process right?

Name:	Sketch scans_0009.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	2022216

Name:	Sketch scans_0010.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	2022223

Name:	Sketch scans_0011.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	2022224

Name:	Sketch scans_0012.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	2022225

Name:	Sketch scans_0014.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	2022226

Name:	Sketch scans_0016.jpg 
ID:	2022227

Name:	Sketch scans_0017.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	779.8 KB 
ID:	2022228

Name:	Sketch scans_0019.jpg 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	2022229

Name:	Sketch scans_0024.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	2022231

Name:	Sketch scans_0025.jpg 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	2022232

Name:	Sketch scans_0026.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	2022234

These shapes and forms were genuinely fun exercises that I still do to some degree now

Last edited by dmdoodles; September 2nd, 2014 at 09:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start! I think you have plenty of technical basis, all you really need now is to apply what you learned.. If you want to be able to draw anything I would recommend doing drawthrough studies from life.

Are you going into ID?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mbato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! And you bring up a good point that i think ignoring is what keeps me running around in circles. I know alot about the technical side of drawing, maybe not everything but definitely alot. But i think because I never had a formal education in it before now I keep psyching myself out and thinking that I need to go back and relearn things the way everyone else most likely did- in the order everyone else did.
    When really what I need to do is take what I know and put it into practice. And figure things out from there- from DOING rather than flipping through a book and relearning the head proportions for the umptenth time because it didn't stick before (because i never practiced like i should)

So while I don't know whether you intended for your comment to do so or not, it's opened my eyes quite a bit.
    Thanks again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few more things from june's studies. Peter Han's texture exercises. These may be my last uploads for a few days since i'm moving into my dorm sunday and have already packed my scanner up. Although i hope to update daily starting monday. I'm still drawing in the meantime though (working on value studies and techniques now, and will scan them in later)

Name:	Sketch scans_0021.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	2022981

Name:	Sketch scans_0022.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	2022982

Quote Originally Posted by mbato View Post

Are you going into ID?
    Also Mbato i never answered you! My bad. I'm actually planning on going into animation.

Last edited by dmdoodles; September 2nd, 2014 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now that i'm moved into my dorm and have my scanner back, here are some value studies from the past few days. Figured I should refresh myself on the subject and learn how to actually render (standard shading, what marks describe what materials, etc) Rendering in some areas may also liven up my studies a bit, as I can not only do anatomy structure studies and such, but also studies of how lighting interacts with the muscles and everything.
    The very last page was inspired by this wonderful man's gallery here:
    http://abdonjromero.deviantart.com/
    his technical studies and skills are awe-inspiring!

Name:	CA uploads 01.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	2024129

Name:	CA uploads 01_0001.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	941.8 KB 
ID:	2024130

Name:	CA uploads 01_0002.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	899.6 KB 
ID:	2024131
    warm up gestures from one day:

Name:	CA uploads 01_0003.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	900.9 KB 
ID:	2024132

Name:	CA uploads 01_0004.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	2024133 (sorry this page smudged a lil)

Name:	CA uploads 01_0005.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	2024134

Name:	CA uploads 01_0006.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	2024135

Name:	CA uploads 01_0007.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	854.0 KB 
ID:	2024136

Last edited by dmdoodles; September 2nd, 2014 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No studies today since I haven't scanned them in yet. However, I just received my yiynova msp19u last night and decided to do a little warm-up sketch on it this morning to test it out. This is a character of mine, in the style I currently have. Slowly implementing some things from my studies into my more cartoony sketches (for instance i studied the face a week or two ago and had a realization that in 3/4 view the bridge of the nose obscures part of the eye. its a real nice way of showing depth

Name:	8-28.png 
Views:	142 
Size:	839.4 KB 
ID:	2025886

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a random update:
    It seems I've underestimated my class schedule with telling myself i'm going to post once a day. So i'm currently working out a schedule for studying my art in between my classes. As for posting on here, guess i'll try and upload it as soon as i can

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like where your thread is going. I can't give much critique at this point because I think I am the same point as you are. You saying "I need to go back and relearn things the way everyone else most likely did- in the order everyone else did" very accurately describes my reason for joining CA.

Are you studying at CGMA? I came across some of Peter Han's videos and would love to study with him! I really like his teaching style.

Anyhow, keep it up! :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo Funks13 View Post
    I like where your thread is going. I can't give much critique at this point because I think I am the same point as you are. You saying "I need to go back and relearn things the way everyone else most likely did- in the order everyone else did" very accurately describes my reason for joining CA.

Are you studying at CGMA? I came across some of Peter Han's videos and would love to study with him! I really like his teaching style.

Anyhow, keep it up! :-)
    Thanks I'm actually not studying at CGMA (can't afford it but would LOVE to!). I found some of his videos online, and kind of recreated his lessons from looking at the blogs of his students and their assignments haha. I really like the way he teaches aswell, although alot of people describe the course as "draw a circle, now draw the rest of the f*cking owl!". That's only because he's giving you an overview on how to sketch in general, not showing specific techniques and how to do it. That said I think it's still a valuable source for learning the basics and a fun way. Reeallyyy wish the videos were still up so I could share them with you >_<

btw have you opened a sketchbook yet? I'd love to check it out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One of the best parts of being in college for me, is that I have a network of friends who are also art majors who understand the struggle My one friend in particular has actually landed a job this semester as a figure drawing model (we have figure drawing every friday here on campus) and wanted to practice long poses. Therefore we all did what good friends should and agreed to come over to draw her naked!

Name:	CA uploads 02.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	704.4 KB 
ID:	2027259

Name:	CA uploads 02_0001.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	913.2 KB 
ID:	2027260
    We started with short 1 minute poses, then went into a 30 min pose. I'm find with drawing gestures, but when it comes to drawing the full body in a longer pose i tend to buckle. It's like I forget everything about form and perspective and proportion, but that's more than likely because i need to put it into practice more (also we all agreed that she looks petrified here )
    Full body poses isn't where I shine in figure drawing, however...

Name:	CA uploads 02_0002.jpg 
Views:	189 
ID:	2027261

Name:	CA uploads 02_0003.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	2027262
    It's when I really zoom into a particular area of interest and focus solely on that where I find most of my successes. Even last year in my drawing observations class, putting my focus into one area gave me more time to study that particular bit and the structure and lighting that goes along with it. Here I managed to implement my previous studies of value and shading to try and create form without relying too much on lines.
    This also probably reveals alot about my study methods...now that i'm thinking (well typing) about it... maybe instead of focusing on the broadest ideas of drawing I should laser focus on something that I really really want to learn and learn that thing, then gradually move out to the broader.
    Hmm...well, we'll see I guess haha

Last edited by dmdoodles; September 2nd, 2014 at 10:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your basic studies on the shapes and textures. It's really awesome and very inspiring. Keep it up !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, same here... I can't afford any decent college course at the moment,
    hence me being on here :-) studying whatever online material I can
    find, which is plenty of course.

I literally just joined and still busy setting up my sketchbook, you can see
    if there's anything available there yet... http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=281746

Good effort on the figure drawing! That's one of the areas I really need to
    focus on too, I was referred to Proko's online videos which looks like a very
    good starting point... check it out: http://www.proko.com/
    and his youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/ProkoTV

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fefe73: awwww thanks!

Jo Funks13: Oh yeah ive been to proko, he's awesome! Thanks for reminding me of him though, since im putting together a schedule of head and hand studies and his head studies are some of the best. As for resources and such you should really get alot of books. I'm in a college that's not specifically for art, so the courses aren't as rigorous as I need them to be. Therefore I cracked open my "Analytical figure drawing" Book by Michael hampton (I originally bought the book for the awesome sketches ) and got to work!
    I also HIGHLY recommend Loomis's books. like, ALL OF THEM haha
    Figure drawing for all it's worth
    Drawing the head and hands
    Fun with a pencil
    Creative illustration
    Successful drawing
    EVERY ONE. His method of instruction is extremely cool and laid back. I"d also check out some threads here on CA to find more books to get (alot you can find online but having them in hand is such an irreplaceable feeling)
    Also I checked out your sketchbook. You've got some nice stuff!! It seems our areas of current skill are the exact opposite of each other. While i'm better at figures and organic creatures than anything else i've drawn, you're killin it with your skill on the more mechanical side! Cars and machines in general have never been something i've been good at.

On another note, I printed out my class schedule and blocked out all the times where I have free hours. I decided last night before I went to bed that I want to study heads, and hands (the hardest parts right??), and made a schedule up based on those goals (YES, GOALS!!). Now i'm one of those weird people who both desire and dislike structure in the form of schedules. When it comes to something I like to do for fun such as art, something inside of me detests the idea of putting myself on a set hour leash. But on the other end, I was absolutely ECSTATIC about coming to college because I knew i'd have a schedule, and art assignments with deadlines. Sooo...I don't even know but I DO know that i'm going to force myself into this schedule. It's created so that I have free time aswell (since you have ALOT more free time in college than anybody ever tells you), so I shouldn't have much of a problem with it.
    Heereee it is!

Name:	schedule.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	2028301

19. The Following User Says Thank You to dmdoodles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the resource references, I'll definitely look into Loomis' books.
    Yeah, I really need to get on figure and gesture drawing, more of that coming soon
    Good luck with the schedule, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO GO UP YESTERDAY, BUT I HIT PREVIEW POST INSTEAD OF SUBMIT. WHOOPS ;-;

Actually followed my own schedule today! (that sounds SO sad haha) Did some hogarth studies in the computer lab (since i could bring the pdf up on a MUCH bigger screen there. it helped tremendously) from 1:30 to 3:30 after my japanese class. It was pretty interesting, considering i'd always shied away from Hogarth due to his...i don't know, I guess his value heavy style. But as i've been obsessed with creating form with values lately it's become alot more appealing (almost the same transformation of tastes I had when semi-realism and realism became more appealing than the usual anime style I was used to, but not..quite as much of a 180)

Name:	hogarth01.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	2029159

Name:	hogarth01_0001.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	2029160

Name:	hogarth01_0002.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	2029161
    pretty proud of the next one, actually:

Name:	hogarth01_0003.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	2029162

Name:	hogarth01_0004.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	976.6 KB 
ID:	2029163

Name:	hogarth01_0005.jpg 
Views:	138 
ID:	2029164

Name:	hogarth01_0006.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.16 MB 
ID:	2029165

Tomorrow, Wednesday, is my busiest day so we're going to see how that goes. The best thing about schedules is that they aren't permanent, so if i need wednesday as a rest day then I may just do that, but for right now i'm going to try to stick to what i have written. I've already studied hampton anyway, so this is a brief refresher. That reminds me, while studying hogarth I wanted to go on for much longer than the 2 hour block I had already set aside for it, and I even thought about extending the block. However, i'm keeping it at 2 hours mandatory time for study, with whatever extra I do outside, well, extra. As a full time college student I don't want to over exert myself. That's one sure way to get tired too quickly too. 2 hours, i've found, is JUST right. Enough to say i'd been productive that day, but also enough to wet my toes and make me want more. Not to mention that isn't inlcuding my other hour of sketch time.
    Yeah, 3 hours seems measley compared to others on here, but, again, don't wanna burn myself out.
    On another note I have a figure drawing and anatomy class in an hour!! My first one, and i'm super excited It's 4 hours long aswell. I'm wondering how the format will go, but I suppose I will see

I may also take the curriculum for that class and make my own schedule around it (so i don't end up studying just heads and hands the entire semester). Usually professors have a pretty good pace within the 3 1/2 month period.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And now for today's posts
    Name:  5 min heads.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  1.43 MB
    I did the 5 min head sketching exercise listed on my schedule like I was supposed to. However, it took FOREVER for my computer to actually load the images and I got up late so i only ended up doing 20 mins (I gotta get better at that ;-. Pretty satisfied thus far. But, and this is gonna sound weird...I think 5 mins is too long. I kind of want to work on my speed sketching for realistic heads since i'm a caricaturist and can draw stylized heads no prob in about 2. Guess i'll just have to adjust the schedule.
    On....other terms, when it came time to study hampton, I ended back up at the computer lab (because his book doesn't have very much on heads) so I could look up notes from his class online. Not quite sure how i ended up looking at portfolio tips, but i'm glad I did, because my calling has a name! For the longest time i'd been saying I was in animation, when really that's sort of an avenue into character design of some sort (which is what i'm really good at), but I didn't JUST want to do character design. I'm also into environment design (which I REALLY need to practice..) and prop design (which is why I was studying all the IDsketching stuff).
    Turns out that's the job of the Visual Development department in the animation field, and once I started researching VisDev portfolios everything came rushing to me at once.
    And suddenly I realized that submitting a portfolio for an animation company, regardless of department, isn't the exact same as submitting one for an art college or a special art high school- as in, there isn't SUCH a major focus on fine arts and still life and life drawing. I read in alot of visdev portfolio tips to just be yourself, and to just draw what you want to draw while still gearing it toward the company you're sending the portfolio into, and really selling those strong aspects of you as an artist. But I also read that even if your style isn't really what that company is looking for, art directors still value those good old fashioned drawing basics (form, value, composition, etc etc) and if you can blow them away with your knowledge in that then your style won't necessarily matter.
    So I want to take my studies both ways. I still have a long way to go in terms of learning how to paint digitally, and standing out from the crowd, but I also want to continue to further my knowledge in traditional techniques.

So, with that said, I close off this post with some crappy little doodles I did on my psychology notes in class today- with the first page being sketchy redesigns of a character from some novels I wrote back in the 6th grade. I'm tapping into all of my imagination and projects to figure out which ones would be appealing in a portfolio, while coming up with new ones too.

Name:	psych note scribbles.jpg 
Views:	135 
ID:	2029168

Name:	psych note scribbles_0001.jpg 
Views:	136 
ID:	2029169

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that since i have so much going on on wednesdays school-wise, I've decided to take this middle of the week day to get recentered- that is, to do some research, find reference images for the other days, look at inspiration etc etc.

Last edited by dmdoodles; September 4th, 2014 at 01:38 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got some digital doodles in today. Can't remember whether i mentioned it or not, but the very first week of school, my Yiynova msp19u arrived in the mail. It's a pretty damn awesome cintiq alternative for a fraction of the price! (600$ vs $2000), and is a 19" tablet monitor.
    But anyway, enough advertising!
    The reason I got the thing (which was a HUGE investment, considering college expenses) was for the purpose of producing better content. I liked the cintiqs I worked on in the lab last year, as they reduced the amount of hand-eye coordination needed, but it still takes skill to draw on one of these things. So rather than just letting it sit until a big project comes along, i'm getting in some practice. Mainly with strokes and blending, while even getting value in.

Name:	spheres.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	242.7 KB 
ID:	2030040
    also these spheres are...not even so haha. I can draw a relatively good ellipse on paper, but translating that onto a digital surface is what i was working towards here. I tried to use as little erasing as possible.
    Instead of spheres, they actually rather look like lumps of rounded clay with the uneven blending. Creates a nice effect here, but controlling that is something i should work on in the future (for smoother surfaces, yknow )
    Next up is a hogarth...thing..with value. Was going to blend it but decided to just leave it. I based my tonal placement off of both lighting and the placement of his own in the book.

Name:	hogarthvalue.png 
Views:	125 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	2030041

In other news, i'm realizing I have a LOT of free time at the end of the week. My classes end at 12:15pm on thursdays and I have no classes friday, saturday or sunday. Instead of spreading my studies out throughout the week like in that last schedule, I may fill my free-time by making it study intensive. This, of course, also means i'll have to do my homework the night I get it so I actually have free time those days @_@

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just wanted to post an update here so it didn't look like i'd COMPLETELY forgotten this thread-
    I've actually started posting more at a crimsondaggers sketchbook I opened up, if you'd like to see more recent stuff.
    Here is the link:
    http://crimsondaggers.com/forum/thread-5408.html
    At some point in time I will transfer some things over (or just keep going over here) but for now i'm not trying to balance posting dually at once XD

Members who have read this thread: 48