COW #330: The Sun Guardian - VOTING!

View testimonialsView Artwork

View Poll Results: Pick your favourite Sun Guardian!

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • YaschaZelunar

5 12.50%
  • .pc

3 7.50%
  • fllamjr

10 25.00%
  • mariofernandes

13 32.50%
  • ZeCarnevilCat

3 7.50%
  • metal_militant

0 0%
  • TearUp

0 0%
  • FUZION PREDATOR

4 10.00%
  • BToal

0 0%
  • elinoree

2 5.00%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,713 Times in 660 Posts
    Follows
    Following

VOTING IS NOW OPEN! Please vote for which entry you feel best adheres to the topic's brief and requirements, based on the concept's design, creativity, execution, etc!
    If you have submitted an entry to this thread please refrain from voting for your own entries. I will deduct your vote from your entry if you do so.
    In the event of a multi-vote round please avoid voting for more than 3 or 4 entries. Votes won't be deducted if you do so, but keep in mind your vote is essentially wasted if you decide to vote for every single entry.
    You may critique and comment on the submitted entries if you like. As long as you play nice!

Round Requirements:
    -This creature is somehow connected with the sun
    -it's role must suit the word 'Guardian' in some way
    -optional: You may depict an ancient monument built in honour of this creature. This is not required to make the poll

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rob Powell; August 28th, 2014 at 01:23 AM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: YaschaZelunar

Concept: Sun Guardian

The Sun Guardian is a creature, which can only be seen in visions of some of the highest priests of the ancient calnaera tribe, a tribe which is whorshipping the goddess of the sun. The creature is beeing invoked by the highest circle of priests to give the power and might of the sun to the tribes warriors, who in the Sun Guardians spirit protect the tribe from it´s enemies.

Name:  Guardian of the Sun Kopie Kopie Kopie.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  423.6 KB

4. The Following User Says Thank You to YaschaZelunar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: .pc

Sun guardians are elemental beasts that guard the sacred Tower of the Sun, said to be brought forth unto existence by the great Sun God himself. Sun guardians are able to call forth concentrated beams of searing light from the sky to destroy intruders.

Name:  sunguardian.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  258.3 KB

instagram
    deviantart
    sketchbook <- help me improve!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to .pc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: fllamjr

Concept: Alvar Zareb - The Sun Guardian

People worship or consider this creature as a sacred beast as well as their guardian because of many things. One of the many reasons is that it's the only animal in existence that outlives its own kind for three generations, it's the alpha of the herd and is very attuned and protective not only of its heard but with nature itself, thus the formation of flora on its body as it moves less with aging and horn growth.

Another reason is how its horns frame the sun when it calls out to its herd at first light of day. These horns in particular are magnificent and mysterious as it is said that no two horns are alike for each generation of these bulls. The patterns or formations of the horns foretell people of the Sun God's feelings.The horns' weight as well as the flora on its back also burdens the creature and eventually causes its own death. The creature's death in particular can be noted as another reason people consider this animal sacred, as the bull is near its death, with all the strength it can muster, will lift its head and face the East where the Sun rises. Adding to that reverence, again, is the posture of the creature, as if kneeling and bowing to the Sun even at its deathbed.

Death of the creature also symbolizes an era of a new Sun Priestess and a new sacred bull. Worshipers take the horns of the now dead sacred beast and use it to replace the altar/throne of the new priestess.

Name:  The Sun Guardian FINAL.png
Views: 527
Size:  797.8 KB

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fllamjr For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

mario fernandes - sun guardian - final

Artist: mariofernandes

Concept: The Sun Guardian

The sun guardian is a mystical creature looking over the sun temple. Many stories have been told about it but it's so ancient that nobody really knows it's real purpose or origin.

Name:  sun guardian 10 - final .jpg
Views: 519
Size:  289.2 KB

wips here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...81#post3852181

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mariofernandes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: ZeCarnevilCat

The Sun Guardian is mythical beast supposed to be summoned if the balance between the Day and Night is threatened.
    He displays the attributes of the Sun. He has huge strength, regenerating abilities and attack techniques.
    When the 12 feathers representing the Zodiac on his head are up, they're storing energy. Then, if needed, he can use his unique eye to perform a deadly heat attack on his opponent.

Name:  COW_330_final.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  491.6 KB

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZeCarnevilCat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's mine. Sorry it's probably a bit over the deadline but here's a hurried one hehe. Please feel free to rip this apart.

Here's a beast that most ancient civilizations would have used as an explanation for day and night. A creature as black as coal, who would start burning up as soon as day broke and reform as day gave way to the night.

Name:  COW330-final.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  379.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In ancient desert mythology, the great Sun Scorpion stands guard over the sun, ready to re-ignite it with his fiery sting, should the calamity of an eclipse befall

Name:  CoW-330-Sun-Guardian-900.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  374.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: TearUp

The guardian of the sun is a creature that can morph into many different shapes and sizes. It lives on and of the sun and behaves similar to a fish in water.

As the guardian though it also patrols around the star, helping it to devour androids or meteoroits or whatever else might come along, to fuel the sun's energy.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    You won't succeed, if you don't learn to fail.

SKETCHBOOK | NABYN | BLOG

dschunai's sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The local tribes revere this creature as a symbol of the great Sun God.

Name:  Sun-Guardian2.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  53.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Concept : Sun Guardian
    Artist : Fuzion Predator

A creature made out of a solar eruption, not only a guardian but also a representative of the Sun on earth. It's body is unstable, the shape of the eruption constantly changes
    Inspired by cerberus, hounds, snake

Name:  sun-guardian-final.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  80.7 KB

SKETCHBOOK any crits are welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: BToal

Concept: Sun Lion (Guardian)

This creature said to resemble a lion, is the protector of our sun. Its small miniature suns on its feather-like mane and legs are completely bright when the sun is at its highest, and dim to a small glow at night. The Sun Lion is at its weakest during a solar eclipse so it must be cautious. The tail on this beast can reach extreme temperatures, almost as hot as the sun itself, allowing it to give a scorching blow to its enemies, and allowing the Sun Lion to shoot blazing hot fire at the sun, giving it more power and life. The Sun Lion lives as long as the sun does, so it is immortal until the day our sun shines its last light. The Aztecs believed in this creature and statues of a lion with what looks like sunflower pedals around the head representing its glorious mane can be found around where they used to live, although they called it The Sun God instead.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sun Guardian #2.jpg 
Views:	485 
Size:	815.6 KB 
ID:	2025730

Thanks
    Thanked 1,713 Times in 660 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Already posted the new topic for anyone interested!

Poll is up for this round! Remember don't vote for yourself, if you have entered!

Cuts This Week

popicock: (reason: too close to an existing creature) I'd like to see a lot more exploration with the creature's design and anatomy. Adding some flames hardly changes the fact that this is a planet sized scorpion. It is perfectly fine to base your creature off of a scorpion, but try to play with the aethetics a bit more, try to experiment with different shapes of it's claws, legs, tail

Jason-Fowler (reason: too close to an existing creature, missed requirements) I was on the fence with this one, the design very closely resembles a tiger with a few slight alterations (plus extra legs) not to mention the pose doesn't really showcase it's design all that well. What else could you have added to this? horns? extra eyes? spikes? scales? feathers? multiple-tails? one thing about creature design is mixing and matching, making different animal parts work together. Also think about how well it fits into the brief, visually I feel like it doesn't quite fit the title 'Sun Guardian.' What sort of connection does it have with the sun? What does the creature entail (visually speaking) that holds it in high regard to the great Sun god? I was close to including you in the voting but I decided against it for now. Do not let this discourage you in the future, I want everyone to try to push themselves further.

Close To Rejection

TearUp: The creature's design looks a tiny bit plain. Although I do understand your intentions with the design, makes for some interesting visuals. Imagine seeing the movements of this creature swimming in the sun. Even with this concept I feel like more could've been added to the creature to make for a more interesting looking design, I also feel like it was slightly rushed. I liked the concept so I decided accept you into the poll, but I'd like to see a more valiant effort in the future.

elinoree: I've added your entry to the poll due to issues with timezones. The deadline is listed as GMT-4, best way to avoid this dilemma is to post a bit earlier just to be safe.

Last edited by Rob Powell; August 28th, 2014 at 01:52 AM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Elinoree

Concept: Guardian of the Sun

Whatever is guarding the sun would have to be pretty big, like REALLY BIG.
    Like Cthulu, eater of worlds big. But what or who would it be guarding it from? Probably something else pretty dang big. I was also thinking of how the universe is actually a very dark place and if something was living out there guarding the sun, it would be adapted to that, which got me thinking about angler fish and other deep sea critters--just scary space. So, I'm thinking it's this poor old guy's job to make sure the sun doesn't go out, and nobody gets a hold of it because well, it belongs to it, they are one and the same, for eternity.

I would like to think that there's a cult out there somewhere who prays to the great guardian, keeper of the sun, oh ancient of ancients.

Name:  sun_guardian_FINAL.jpg
Views: 1352
Size:  813.0 KB

Last edited by elinoree; August 28th, 2014 at 01:51 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fair point Rob!

Members who have read this thread: 126