Lighting and Shadow

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lighting and Shadow

Name:  Assignment1.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  305.8 KBI've been working on an online class taught by Sam Nielson.

This is my first assignment. I was supposed to create the accurate lighting and also create a texture. (which turned out horrible.)

I was supposed to keep an eye out for the occlusion.

I didn't spend TOO much time on this just because I wanted to post this up so I can have some more direction. It's hard to judge on my own what I need to improve on.

Which is why I'm constantly posting up my latest work.

Also I'd like to post up my assignments as I go along, but I don't want to overflow these forums with only my posts D:

Last edited by MisterLopes; August 20th, 2014 at 05:13 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I did a quick paint over. I'm not great at light myself but this should get you a little closer.

• The ground plane was white so that would be reflecting a good amount of bounce light back at the object.
    • With the object being so close to the light source I thought the highlights should be brighter.
    • The direction of the cast shadow seemed off to me so I tried to fix it but not 100% sure on the accuracy.

Couldn't figure out if the ridge would be casting a shadow on the object from that angle. But its something to thinking about.

Hopefully someone more experienced can help out further.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by element1988; August 21st, 2014 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Cleaned it up a bit.
    "The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FYI: Courtesy of Lightwave 3D, the "correct" shading with a directional light (e.g., the sun or a desk lamp) in the position shown is:
    Name:  DB01.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  35.8 KB

If one includes the "bouncing" of light rays from the base plane (this is called correctly called "radiosity," by the way. "Occlusion" is similar, but specifically refers to the visual accessibility of a particular point (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambient_occlusion)) it looks like this:
    Name:  DB02.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  34.8 KB

And if one allows for radiosity, plus uses a light that casts softer shadows, one gets this:
    Name:  DB03.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  36.6 KB

I don't know what the lectures of your course have covered, but it seems the teacher is trying to teach you the basic principles of mathematical perspective and of CGI lighting without actually explaining how they work. I'm not sure that's the best way to learn this stuff.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:

SRB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I noticed the cast shadow was wrong right after posting

So referring to the shape on the left side, if you look at the inside flat surface of it..it shouldn't be completely black right because of the bounce light from the cylinder?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Giacomo View Post
    I don't know what the lectures of your course have covered, but it seems the teacher is trying to teach you the basic principles of mathematical perspective and of CGI lighting without actually explaining how they work. I'm not sure that's the best way to learn this stuff.
    Sam Nielson's schoolism class (Fundamentals of lighting) is by far one of the best online classes you will ever get on the subject, he explains very clearly how light works and his critiques of his students work with explanations and paintovers is worth the money alone and there is a tonne of critiques to watch... I had to watch a few of his classes again just drill in all the information, also you will get students at different levels and remember he has psd files on different layers to work on (as what the op posted) but its about how you see light and paint it ...

at the op I would watch the class again and also watch a few critiques and do the lesson a few times...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to halfdolla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool, thanks for the advice. That's exactly what I'm doing. Re-watched some of the first class and I'm going to do the exercise over again.

I messed up the psd file for the first assignment though I saved the work I did over it accidently

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is my more updated version of it the assignment. I just haven't added the second part of the assignment, which is adding a texture to it.

Name:  Assignment1.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  302.5 KB

Members who have read this thread: 30