My very first concept art piece

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My very first concept art piece

Hi everyone. I hope you are well.

I was told about this site by the tutors on the illustration and concept art course I will be starting in September. So I thought I would get involved.

I am a newb to concept art and I have attached my very first piece and was wondering if you would be kind enough to crit what I have done. I would really appreciate it.

It is part of my summer prep work. I wanted to create a piece called invasion.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Have a great day.

Pete

Third-Concept2.png

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the contrast between the warm bottom and the cool green on the top. Some composition critiques, I put in red circles below were some forms just touch others, forming tangents. There's not enough information on which overlaps which so it would work best if you overlapped these things or made them not touch at all. Similar to the way you have the tube wrapping around the bottom of the ship, this creates a lot of depth that eliminating tangents would help follow through with. I added the green circle because this area isn't conveyed as strongly as it could either. The spikes on the right are overlapping on and broken by the tube, which is great for defining space. The 3 on the left should be shown before or behind the tube OR add detail to bring forward or with some atmosphere infront to push them backward. Pretty nice otherwise. The bottom half has wonderful description of space.

invasion-creativemonkey.jpg

Last edited by NicoleWG; August 14th, 2014 at 09:50 PM. Reason: typo
    Love means never having to say "you're a special snowflake."

Take a look at my sketchbook
    And my blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much for your comments. It's exactly what I needed. I will make the changes you suggested and re-upload. I really appreciate you taking time to give me feedback.

Have a great day

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi NicoleWG. I have made the changes you mentioned. Do you think it looks better?

I have also added a soldier in the foreground the give a little more scale to the piece. Do you think this is effective?

I would love to hear anyones thoughts on this.

thank you in advance.

Pete

Third-Concept2.png

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, this read even better now. Adding the soldier was an excellent idea since without him there's no way to know how big anything is. I'm also interested to see other feedback here.

Love means never having to say "you're a special snowflake."

Take a look at my sketchbook
    And my blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you again for your feedback. It means a lot.
    I would love to hear other peoples comments and suggestions.
    Have a great day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks amazing to me. I'm just transitioning from traditional to digital and I'm getting used to doing work like this.

What course are you starting? I might look into it myself

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, thank you for your comment and compliment. I really appreciate it. I am starting a course in Doncaster, UK. It's illustration and concept art at High Melton. I have never done anything like it before and want a career change. This is my first piece. I'm 42. I'm a little nervous about starting a course in a subject I know nothing about, so I just wanted feedback to see if I was in the right direction with the composition, lighting, scale, depth . . .etc. And even the subject matter.

thanks again.

Have a great day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought I'd upload the final version. I thought the first ones colours were dull, so I have added more contrast to the lighting. I wanted the lava to pop more.

I would love to hear anyones thoughts.

Have I gone too far and over-worked it?

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Third-Concept2a.png

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pete this is great. I would say don't start with so much black. borrow colors from all over the canvas and use them. A lot of blue/green light from the sky or orange from the lava that could be thrown around to lighten up the big black areas. Too much black makes things look like photos with bad exposure settings. Maybe also do some material indication studies, that'll help you in the future to differentiate between metal, rocks, organic material and so on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Pete,
    good start.
    Im going to be blunt because I want this to be great, and Im sure you do also.
    First off, the mech needs some adjustments. The leg joints are not making any sense right now. Use some reference from mechanical equipment like CAT vehicles. Study how they move and how things are attached. This will help you to create realistic mechs and you will find yourself learning a lot of important stuff.

Keep it up mate,

Liam

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your awesome feedback Liam. I really appreciate it. I do want it to be great. I totally see what you mean about the mech. I'll get cracking with some studies.
    Have a great day.
    Pete

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much for your invaluable feedback @CampbellWhite I'll definitely start looking at materials a lot more and the depth of the black. I definitely see it now.
    thanks again. I really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone, I just wanted to upload the latest incarnation of my invasion concept. I have changed the legs, removed a lot of the black from the mining-mech, added some texture to the rocks in the foreground. Extended the light to reach the soldier. Added more teeth to the mine head. Added texture to the pipes. I would love to hear your thoughts.
    thanks again for all the advice I have received. It has really helped bring this piece to life. (in my humble opinion, anyway.)
    Third-Concept2.png

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! This is absolutely amazing for your first concept art piece! Keep up the good work!

Here is a quick critique I did, although I am by no means an expert (or anywhere close to that).Screen Shot 2014-08-18 at 9.21.14 PM.png

EDIT: I confused stalagmites with stalagtites, but hopefully you get what I mean.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow. Thank you for kind comment. I definitely see what you mean. Now you have pointed it out. It is so obvious. I will try to sort it and repost.

It's not a signature, i wanted it to look like alien writing. I will make it more obvious. Maybe, somewhere else.

thank you for taking the time to comment on my piece. I really appreciate it.

Have a great day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Creativemonkey! I have to say its inspiring to see your work getting better and better As I scroll down, Its very inspirational! Just one question, How much time have you spent refining this piece?

Also, this piece has been finished to a point were people might have to start knit picking on the small details. What I would recommend is studying design and Composition. So on your next piece you should spend a lot time in creating the backbone of the painting.

I don't know how well you know about design and composition but here's a video that Explains Design and Composition:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCmz3XuS6TI

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey RandomMango, thank you so much for you comment. To answer your question, I think I have spent about three hours from start to where it is now. Is that a long time?

The original black and white is attached so you can see what I have added, changed and deleted. I worked on the composition initially but, as you have mentioned, maybe I should have spent a lot more time working on the composition before getting to stage 2.

I have spent the last few weeks (since getting my summer assignment from uni) watching as many Feng Zhu videos as I can. It never gets boring.

Thank you for the link. I will watch it now, and thank you again for taking the time to comment.

Third Concept.jpg

Last edited by thecreativemonkey; August 21st, 2014 at 07:24 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is the latest version of my concept. I hope you're not getting bored of me constantly updating this post.

I have moved the broken spike backwards, changed the writing on the mech to a more alien looking type and realigned the texture of the pipes.

I would love to hear any other thoughts and thank you again for all your advice. It really has helped me.

Third-Concept2.png

• 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook