Need some advice (Beginner) WIP - Moon

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Need some advice (Beginner) WIP - Moon

Hey everyone.

So it has been awhile since I was last here, still getting use to this new design so apologise if I mess up somewhere. Still a beginner and been reading a few art books a long with James Gurney's Colour and Light. I've also been tuning in to LevelUp each week and have bought some Gumroad tutorials while also checking out Concept Cookie.

Anyway, I've been working on this piece now for a while on and off, at first I was practising hard lines within the painting then I kind of lost my way and started experimenting with different brushes; so you could say this entire piece is pure experimental but so far I'm proud of the out come but this is where I need your help... How can I make this pop? Is there anything I should fix and where could I take it from here?

I thought I should also post the last piece I worked on so you can get an idea of my progression so far.

Thanks to you all who take their time to view this thread.

Moon:
    Name:  WIPCONART.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  90.4 KB

Old Work:
    Name:  darcy_by_seansean07-d7qt58m.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  88.5 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have much time so I will keep it short. Your picture got mid and high range values but it lacks deep shadows.

You made some good progress from the last one though so keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh, I didn't even notice that, I was working from my colour palette and used the darkest colour for shadow.

Should I take that colour and go darker?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not necessarily, you may just need to use more of it. The best way to be sure is to check periodically by converting your work to gray-scale.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Look at my progression:

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,333 Times in 1,438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The main question which you must always keep in your mind: Where is your light source? How does its light affect the subject?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So unfortunately my laptop had broken therefore I couldn't get any progress done on this but alas... its back and will update this once I get some work done.

Thanks for all the feed back so far!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SeannaeS View Post
    So unfortunately my laptop had broken therefore I couldn't get any progress done on this but alas... its back and will update this once I get some work done.
    That's a great opportunity to practice in pencil on paper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I've been busy working but had a small window to work on this.. didn't do to much but yeah.. also.. god damn hands are extremely difficult!

Name:  WIPCONART2.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  380.3 KB

and yeah.. I done some sketches and studies while my laptop was being repaired

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My two cents here.
    Hands are damn hard I agree and they can make or break a composition. I think my main advice echoes anrenhaus "Where is your light source?" How many light sources do you want on her. You've got that bright bright moon above her head...think of how that light and, more importantly, how that deep shadow on her hood will be and will it cast a shadow onto her left shoulder. How deep will the shadows be inside her hood? Your painting, the pose, the composition, even her eyes are screaming for some dramatic lighting. Take that risk and intensify those shadows even more. Look at moonlight portraits and see what the light does to skin colour and where the shadows are. Always use real life sources for your work just to see what light should be doing.

By the way, what I find helpful with hands is to ignore the fingers all together at first and concentrate on getting the palm of the hand proportioned, bent and tilted right before I even think of putting the fingers on. I then make sure the knuckles look right. I think you have made the palm a tad too long and the knuckle alignment is a bit off. I believe the average length of the palm (wrist to knuckle of the middle finger) should be from the chin to the end of the nose'ish.

Great painting so far! She's so beautiful you have to finish her. Good Luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hands are no harder than anything else, IF you know how hands are built and how to break them down into simpler forms.

In other word, study, study, study anatomy. Hard. And do lighting studies, preferably in pencil, lots of them. And join a figure drawing class, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok.. annddd I'm back! Sorry it takes so long to get back to you, I work nights.
    Getting great advice here from you guys so thank you for it, I appreciate it a lot.

I tried once again to further this with dramatic lighting but I'm afraid I don't have those skills but I did try so that's something right? Lol. I also worked a little bit on her hand again.. damn things; while also playing around with tattoo idea, still not set on what I want there but I feel her arm needs something. I don't know if this has progressed much but I sort of feel its going somewhere.

Oh.. Also.. back ground? Do I leave as it it or add something in, I was thinking perhaps some trees or a city in the distance.

Name:  compare.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  157.6 KB

• 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department