Newbie here! Need some assistance.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Newbie here! Need some assistance.

Hello everyone. I'm currently trying to figure out how to best separate the enclosed images into Lego-like 'pieces'. I get the feeling something like this can be done somewhat easily in photoshop, but I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking for or how I should go about it. Any suggestions about how to do this in an efficient fashion? Input is greatly appreciated!

Attached Images Attached Images                                                    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, first of all, welcome!
    I am going to just take a stab at this, but I am not 100% sure I understand what you are asking...
    So, if I am interpreting your question correctly I think you want to cut out the flowers using straight-edged segments? If that is the case, then just use the polygonal lasso tool.

Oh, and for future reference, it probably wasn't necessary to post all those images...one or two examples would have sufficed...

As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,
    that's easy, try the magic wand.
    tell us how it went.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On the pages which you can split each into square/rectangular sections, the slice tool is probably your best bet.

In case you aren't familiar with the slice tool.....

Firstly select the slice tool (Click and hold on the crop button and it should be the second item in the list of tools), then drag a box around each of the images. (I've made a quick example below)
    Name:  sliced_img.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  114.9 KB
    Once you have the image sliced up like this you can either export it as is and use the default image names, or you can use the 'Slice Select Tool' to double click each of the squares containing an image and changing the 'name' field to whatever you want it to be called, you can ignore all the other fields. To export it you need to go to 'Save for Web & Devices' (Alt-Shift-Ctrl-S for PC, Command-Option-Shift-S for Mac). Select the export type and quality at the top right of the box that pops up, then click save. Make sure that the format is set to images only, you can leave the filename as is, then hit save. This will save each of the slices to a separate image file, unfortunately (for this purpose) it also saves all of the blank slices as well, all you need to do though is select the blank ones and delete them (this is much easier if you renamed the slices that you wanted to keep).

I've only just woken up, so I'm not sure how much sense that actually made, if you need a better description on how to do this, feel free to ask me.

If this method doesn't work (which may be the case if images are too close together), then your best bet is just to select the bits you want split individually using the lasso tool, copy them to the clip board, then open a new document (it should automatically make the document size just big enough to fit the selection you just made), then paste the image in and save it. It's quite time consuming, but it works.

Hope some of this helped

Members who have read this thread: 23