Just Breath, Just Believe [Daily Sketchbook, Critiques please!]

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Just Breath, Just Believe [Daily Sketchbook, Critiques please!]

Hi guys~! Kaly here.
    I'm 19 (20 in a few months, which I'm still having a hard time believing...), currently enrolled in college as an art studio major, living in the U.S.
    Looking forward to learning and growing as an artist and person~ Please feel completely free to be extremely critical in your critiques, I want to get better.

// God bless, Kaly
    Name:  paintnico24.png
Views: 263
Size:  449.4 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This looks cool, you got some nice rendering skills, but if you want to improve you need to post your bad stuff, the stuff that went completely wrong but you cant figure out why. You need to let us see where your problem areas are... A sketchbook on this site isn't suppose to be a portfolio its suppose to be a place where people can look and help you see the things that you wouldn't otherwise see. To help you improve your weaknesses.

The above image looks pretty cool to me, I do have a question though, where is the light coming from? I cant seem to figure it out, maybe thats lack of knowledge on my part I'm not sure. I mean the lightning is symmetrical because its the same on both sides of the face and it seems to be coming from the top but the fingers are in shadow? The forehead looks like its catching light but the cheeks are lit in a way that makes it look like the hair is casting a shadow on the face, which would mean the forehead would be in shadow also.

Anyway I hope my thoughts were of some use to you. Keep going I think you have a knack for this.

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Element1988
    Thanks for the comment! On that picture, it originally had started to where there would be deep shadows beneath the eyes, nose, and mouth as the lighting was coming from over head, but I got a bit confused as the picture progressed and lost track of where it was coming from.

Here's some stuff from the past few days. The two portraits were commissions. I am a bit out of practice with drawing as I skipped doing daily drawings for the past two months pretty much. I'm determined to get back into the practice of doing a lot of drawing everyday before school starts back .

//God bless, Kaly

Name:  8-12-2014.png
Views: 52
Size:  415.9 KBName:  8-12-2014heads.png
Views: 53
Size:  193.0 KBName:  8-13-2014.png
Views: 51
Size:  201.5 KBName:  Valko.png
Views: 55
Size:  653.2 KBName:  Laydee.png
Views: 51
Size:  528.3 KB

Last edited by Kalyith; August 14th, 2014 at 03:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi welcome
    I like your style very much and your lines are really good some things: the stroke of light at nose with red hair, that spot is in shadow under normal lightning conditions also his chin is not lined up with his facial features

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ ElisaClaes

Ahh, I just noticed lol! Thank you for pointing that out. I seem to have a problem doing that on male faces. Thank you for the comment!

42 minute speed paint from today. I was trying out muted colors, but I don't think its that successful. This guy is one of my Ocs.
    Name:  Sleepless.png
Views: 37
Size:  598.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some things from the last few days. Let me know what you guys think. Also, I can tell I haven't drawn horses in a while...lol.

The eye page was done by 30 seconds each pair. The horse took about 1- 2 hours roughly. Probably a little longer. The Jerry (Tom and Jerry) pose studies were done in about 20 mins. The speed painting (gotta love Halo!) at the bottom took about 1 hour and 12 minutes.

//God bless, Kaly

Attached Images Attached Images        

Members who have read this thread: 21