Village composition

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Village composition

Hi! I'm trying to do some environments for a change. I'm not very good at them. With this one, I'm trying to draw some sort of village. Not sure what the story or setting is, honestly. Hopefully I'll figure that out at some point. Well, I guess the most important thing is composition, so does anyone have any crits on how I've put this line drawing together? Thanks!

Name:  ahahh 3d ka veel copy.JPG
Views: 338
Size:  279.6 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To be honest I cant find anything wrong with it, its just too far head of me. But what I will say is that the poses of the 2 figures seem to be conflicting. The guy in the foreground looks like hes in a standoff type pose, sword drawn, wide stance, where as the guy standing outside the house looks like hes maybe waiting for something because if he was gunna have a standoff with someone why would he choose right outside his house? Perhaps the foreground guy is a traveler returning home? I dunno maybe its a dumb idea lol.

Composition wise I like the way the ledge leads the eye to the far figure, but I think you can push that idea further with other surrounding objects once you get a good idea of whats happening. Really digging this though, will be cool to see where it goes.

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

DA

Sketch Book

4. The Following User Says Thank You to element1988 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! Good ideas both

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, cool image z01ks! Here are a couple of comments and suggestions I have.

I would vary the sized of the pyramids. Will you add any clouds? The image looks a little barren right now I think. Another idea might be birds or a few leaves in the wind. More flowers, plants fruits, veggies, sugarcane plants or whatever on the right side in the garden. Some of that plant life and shrubbery can add to your foreground.

Finally create some more dynamic figures. element1988 brings up a good point about giving the characters a story or background. Another idea could the guy in the foreground is a thug coming around to collect a debt and catches the guy by the house walking outside, startling him, and causing him to spill some buckets or whatever! Anyway, I like your idea z01ks, keep it up!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to heyguy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, thanks, heyguy! I might just use that haha!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ehy Zoiks!
    Nice to see you're pushing further your skills on environment too!
    Obviously the general comp is good, I just made this paint over for visualize the reason. There is balance, and movement, with a calm central portion in advantage to lateral details, and this help us to come in the pic. For a better immersion, would be helpful to not duplicate the same grid (blue and green matches!) but to change portions, focusing on different thirds combo for a more variable grid. I hope this make sense, sorry for my bad english, I'm a bit tired =D I'm a bit worried about the empty sky, but everything will be clear with later values. Looking forward for see this finished! Good luck! I'll be waiting for ya in the EOW challange =D

Name:  op ahahh 3d ka veel copy.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  455.8 KB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlindLynx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey BlindLynx, thanks for the advice. I have to say, I've never really gotten into compositional grids, and I can rarely see how they relate to the actual image. Sorry, I just don't understand what it means and what I could take away from it in order to make the image better. Thanks anyway!

Here's what I've done so far

Name:  ancvillcop.JPG
Views: 141
Size:  333.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This how far I've gotten. Ahh, certain things I do not know how to do well.

Anyway, any crits highly appreciated! I'm at that point where I'm unable to look at it objectively anymore.
    Name:  ahvil col.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  830.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My eye keeps getting drawn into the center, above the foreground guy's head. I think if you had some pay-off there or something in the sky, it could help the composition.

Sketchbook

Personal Site (updated more often)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, that's becoming truly amazing. The midground is so deep that calls me there, some soft clouds or a tiny mountain plae crest could help to relax the eyes a bit. Than I think a chimney pot on the wife's home could help to empathize the "she's up, he's down" feeling. =) That's his wife and his'coming hoe after war, right? =D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I always have a hard time keeping my works from getting too busy... :/ Also, here I'm having trouble painting daylight colors. I guess the grass looks like it belongs in an overcast setting, doesn't it? Heh heh... At some point the whole painting also started to look hella saturated.

Also, does anyone have a tip on what kind of colors to paint onto the foreground leaves at the top of the image?
    Name:  anvil copy.JPG
Views: 80
Size:  943.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont' see the need to use such a saturated blu in the sky. Keep it pale. Probably you have this hab because you are mainly a characters designer and they have to be always clearly visible, but that's not true for environments. The right tree's shadow are paler than the sky and this isn't possible in nature. Also the choice to use a twsited river as background for a 2nd scene with 3 elements (woman, horse, knight), is a bit rash, even if beautiful. The river should be whiter, reflexing a whiter sky, but this would make not stand hout the horse. Also yu cannot make the horse darker for the scene rhytme... If this pic was mine I would probably change that river in a simple green plane, for focus on the two human scenes. Hope this time was more helpful =D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! That's definitely helpful. I'll try changing some things around.

Members who have read this thread: 48