NSFW Relearning To Draw

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Relearning To Draw

Hi,

First post here in about 8 years I've known about this forum

Been interested in art for as long as I can remember, but never considered it to be a serious thing for myself. Always thought you need to study in an institution from a young age or something, to be any good at this (what was i thinking, yeah).

Didn't really have a plan and was drawing and learning various art things randomly from time to time. Then dropped it and went to school to study some other boring things for who knows what reason.

A little more than a year ago considered art again, tried graphic design first (thought you don't need any technical skill for it), but couldn't really get into it and somehow got back into drawing. Pretty obvious what I should've been doing in the first place.

Now want to drop the stuff I'm doing and eventually do this professionally.

Had an account here some time ago, but never got to posting anything. Hopefully this one will be something better and will push me in to drawing things I would not be embarrassed to show others

Gonna post some random things from around 9 months of drawing.

Some humble beginnings
    anatomy and figure drawing

Attached Images Attached Images                              
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start. Id advise you to forget about color right now, color is hard... Probably one of the hardest things about art and before you can really understand it you have to understand value, so work on that.

Work on proportions and gesture/rhythm/balance over anatomy. A lot of beginners fall into the trap of learning anatomy too early and not being able to make use of it. You can draw a good looking character without advanced anatomy knowledge and once you get to that stage anatomy becomes a whole lot easier. Focus on seeing things as 3d shapes, imagine what it would be like to model your drawings from clay. Can you spin it around in your head? If not then you don't understand the forms yet. Its difficult I know, but the more you do it the easier it will get and one day it will be as easy as tying your shoes. Without learning this type of thinking you will end up learning tricks to overcome your problems and wonder why its not getting easier.

Keep working and best of luck. I believe in you .

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

DA

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice. Yeah, came to many of these conclusions myself as well. Felt that gesture, proportions are of less importance than they actually are.

It is true, that it makes more sense to first learn how to construct/draw things in space in general, before learning specific forms, like muscles or bones. Can't say I learned that the hard way, cause I studied it in the past, but I do tend to struggle to keep the important fundamental stuff in my head a lot of times. Tend to overconcentrate on one thing, while forgetting about the other.

Resorted some stuff on the pc, here's another pile figure drawing and perspective:

gonna keep adding these as I reorganize the stuff on my pc

Last edited by lssrspawn; August 13th, 2014 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more old crap . Perspective and animal anatomy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! It's nice to see so many different things in just one sketchbook! Just pay attention to volume, in your last sketch in the posterior leg of the lion you can clearly see the way the bone influences the surface (which is great) but there seems to be no muscle connected to it and this results in the leg looking kind of flat. Hope it helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. Yeah, there a lot of issues here and there. I'm thinking it's a good idea to write down some fundamental stuff to think about before approaching the drawing, not to forget it in the process. The mind kind of turns off after you're a few hours in and you get sunk in to detail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and the last bunch of more recent images

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another bunch of stuff from last few weeks. A little bit of everything

Members who have read this thread: 12