Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Practicing color theory digitally ?

Thanks

Unhappy Practicing color theory digitally ?

I don't have money pouring out of my hands and I have no paints or brushes, I'd like some, but no money. The final part of my summer studies is color theory and I was just going to basically do every exercise I need to do digitally.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    If you cannot spend $10 on a mouthful of paint, then color theory is not your biggest problem...
    Grinnikend door het leven...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eezacque For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I too never did colour theory traditionally. I do not know whether or not I missed out, but with the aid of video tutorials, colour studies, and practise, I am at a comfortable state at the moment. Cost was one of the hindrance for me as well. Paint is so expensive, as well as buying the canvas, etc.

That said, I believe that life studies are very important to bring out realism in the work. As for me, I am patiently waiting for Intuos to update and release a revised Cintiq Companion, which by the way would be pretty expensive (2 grande.. I believe), so that I have a true substitute for traditional paints.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NesanJanan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well considering I'm only 16 years old in a low income family it isn't really that out of this world

Thanks
    Pretty similar to what I was thinking of doing. I guess once buying actual paints and canvases you would just have to learn and adapt to it, as long as your strong in color theory principles there shouldn't be any major problems ?

Thanks
    I think that the only person who can really answer if it is possible or not is your teacher. Some teachers has a very theoretical approach and then it will probably not be a problem others want you to really work with the material.

Personally I think that you will miss out if you work digitally. You get a whole different feel for it with traditional materials. Most importantly traditional media will force you to really think about what you are doing.

I really think that you should contact your teacher in advance and see if you can work something out.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frida Bergholtz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I don't have any teachers or mentors, I just make my own studies/HW and go ? I'll eventually start painting traditionally for sure, but I just don't have the cash right now.

Thanks
    ChaseNNN. I just wanted to say that for me master studies have been invaluable in learning colour. When I did them they just became entrenched in my brain, and I do not have to consciously think about them to get good good natural colours.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NesanJanan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh I haven't been doing any master studies, I have just been studying color via apples,people, the general basics. I will eventually do master studies but not currently. In all, I think to master color you need to experience and learn it for yourself. I think studying from both past artists and from today's photographs are great to learn off of, but in the end I just want to learn how to properly and effectively use color in what ever means possible

Thanks
    I think you may be confusing "Color Theory" with material handling...

Color Theory is about understanding how colors work together to create specific moods and effects in a painting. Examples include understanding color temperature, optical blending (a la impressionism), color schemes (full palette, limited palette, monochrome, etc.), complementary color juxtaposition, simultaneous contrast, etc., etc.
    Color Theory is medium independent...the same principles apply whether you are working digitally, oil painting, using pastels, crayola crayons,...whatever.

Material handling is a whole 'nother thing. That refers to how the physical properties of different media work. Mixing oil paints is different from color choosing in Photoshop. Both are different from using transparent watercolors, and blending techniques for chalk pastels are completely different from blending techniques for wax crayons.

So, in a nutshell, you can learn Color Theory using pretty much any media you like. You miss nothing of this aspect by working digital instead of traditional. However, painting digitally will give you very little insight into the proper way to mix, apply, and blend colors when you switch to a set of oil paints. The reverse is also true. Oil painting skills do not directly translate to working digitally. Each medium has its own quirks which have to be learned through direct experience.
    As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Grin Without a Cat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    That's why I started the thread, I knew I was going to be missing out on some key stuff such as color blending and learning to think before applying each stroke, which I tend to keep everything on one layer n Photoshop and opt out of using ctrl+Z to learn how to fix mistakes,that and I hate using layers. I just wanted to know if there would be any impacts when I do decide to do some traditional stuff.I can completely understand not being able to have a very good mindset when mixing colors traditionally painting when I study color theory digitally. All I can do is wait to see how things pan out.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,104 Times in 2,489 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grin Without a Cat View Post
    I think you may be confusing "Color Theory" with material handling...

Color Theory is about understanding how colors work together to create specific moods and effects in a painting. Examples include understanding color temperature, optical blending (a la impressionism), color schemes (full palette, limited palette, monochrome, etc.), complementary color juxtaposition, simultaneous contrast, etc., etc.
    Color Theory is medium independent...the same principles apply whether you are working digitally, oil painting, using pastels, crayola crayons,...whatever.

Material handling is a whole 'nother thing. That refers to how the physical properties of different media work. Mixing oil paints is different from color choosing in Photoshop. Both are different from using transparent watercolors, and blending techniques for chalk pastels are completely different from blending techniques for wax crayons.

So, in a nutshell, you can learn Color Theory using pretty much any media you like. You miss nothing of this aspect by working digital instead of traditional. However, painting digitally will give you very little insight into the proper way to mix, apply, and blend colors when you switch to a set of oil paints. The reverse is also true. Oil painting skills do not directly translate to working digitally. Each medium has its own quirks which have to be learned through direct experience.
    Wrong

Thanks
    with traditional you limit your colors which is good for beginner because you have to mix your colors and you learn lot more about colors and how they work together, with digital you don't

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast