heyguy's sketchbook

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

heyguy's sketchbook

Hello everyone! Creating my first digital sketchbook and I'm excite to add all sorts of awesome stuff on here! Please, everyone is welcome to comment or critique! Let's begin!

So I've been playing with this idea. It's a scrolling/tiling 2D background. The setting is a desert planet where there is life, air, natural light sources like large glowing plant/mushroom creatures, sculptures in the rocks and more. I'm inspired by things like Metroid, Prometheus, Aliens, real life Mars, etc and I'd like to achieve an art quality to that of a nice 2D Rayman game.

Each layer is going to be its own extra detailed layer creating a parallax scrolling effect. I'd love any suggestions or thoughts on the piece. I want a purple planet. Anyway, I'm having a lot of fun with the project.

Also, one more thing. Anyone who has the time, please critique my oil painting and line drawing sketch on my other post. Thanks!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?&t=280927

Name:  desertplanet.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  81.0 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New artwork! I'm trying to do a painting a fantasy marsh or swamp. I've got a whole bunch of keywords that are inspiring me to create this unique, depressing landscape. I've named this region of the world the Free Marches and I wanted to achieve a gloomy, somber mood. These thumbnails are taking me longer that I would like but I think they're coming out okay so I'm not too mad. I'll finish them soon then I'll paint a high res rendering of whichever is best.

I added some of my reference too.

heyguy's sketchbook

heyguy's sketchbook[/URL]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your off to a great start mate! I really like your scrolling background, and your thumbnails are looking good as well. Keep pushing it an post post post!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update on the thumbnails. I actually really like a lot of the thumbnails. My favorites are 2, 4, 6, 9, 10. Some of the thumbs aren't as readable or as detailed as I'd like them to be. I was losing the juice and wanted to move on to painting already! Anyway, number 4 is my favorite but it seems it might be hard to read if you don't know what it is. It's a path heading down a hill.

Any thoughts on my thumbnails? I might paint number 4 or 10 but 10 needs a little more focusing if I do decide to paint that one. Thanks!

heyguy's sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 5