Head-structure studies

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Head-structure studies

Hello! I recently began to get into the structure of the skull, mainly because I've never learned how to properly draw a head. I did some practice today with the technique that Andrew Loomis uses in one of his books. Do you mind critiquing it? It feels like the jaws that I drew are almost too.. thick? Round? I can't quite pick the word. But I don't know exactly how to fix it.

Also, the one at the top left corner (the face facing forward); should the face be skinnier? I feel like it should be but I can't think of exactly how to do that.

And any tips on how wide (horizontally) the chin should be? There's not an exact guideline and it's making me doubt myself. XD

Name:  Face structure 1.JPG
Views: 277
Size:  57.3 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two comments. On a number of your heads, the orientation of the vertical center line of the face does not match the orientation of the vertical line across the circle on the side, that gives you the corner of the jaw below the ear. As a result, the jaw is too short. Also, note that the skull is five eyes wide: your eyes are too small. As for the width of the chin, look at the real thing, for various models. Keep doing these!

Grinnikend door het leven...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    Two comments. On a number of your heads, the orientation of the vertical center line of the face does not match the orientation of the vertical line across the circle on the side, that gives you the corner of the jaw below the ear. As a result, the jaw is too short. Also, note that the skull is five eyes wide: your eyes are too small. As for the width of the chin, look at the real thing, for various models. Keep doing these!
    Thank you for the advice!
    Do you mind going into a little more detail in what you were talking about the orientation of the vertical lines? Because after reading your post, I tried to apply it to what I did yesterday, but I'm not seeming to understand..

Oh for the eyes, I just did those just to put them there and see how they looked. I didn't really proportion them correctly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The problem is your constructing the head as a 3d shape just like Loomis says, but your not understanding why hes telling you to do this... Everything you draw should be constructed in the same way as the head, as a 3d object. Your eyes look like stickers you stuck onto a 3d form. Eyes are simply balls with the eye lids wrapping around these balls. Imagine your making this head out of clay how would you start? You need to understand why your doing these things, Loomis is trying to get you to think of everything you draw as a 3d object so any time you draw something without thinking about the physical space and volume this object takes up your doing it wrong. Even somthing like a scratch on a characters face should be thought of as having form.

Simply doing the exercises isn't enough, getting good at drawing requires a change in how you think about things. Hope that helps.

"The whole point of practice is to do it until you can do it right." - dpaint

Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by element1988 View Post
    The problem is your constructing the head as a 3d shape just like Loomis says, but your not understanding why hes telling you to do this... Everything you draw should be constructed in the same way as the head, as a 3d object. Your eyes look like stickers you stuck onto a 3d form. Eyes are simply balls with the eye lids wrapping around these balls. Imagine your making this head out of clay how would you start? You need to understand why your doing these things, Loomis is trying to get you to think of everything you draw as a 3d object so any time you draw something without thinking about the physical space and volume this object takes up your doing it wrong. Even somthing like a scratch on a characters face should be thought of as having form.

Simply doing the exercises isn't enough, getting good at drawing requires a change in how you think about things. Hope that helps.

Thank you for the reply! Your reply made me change my perspective about form. Wow. It seems like something just "clicked".

Members who have read this thread: 30