Help with dealing with some art insecurities

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help with dealing with some art insecurities

I've always wanted to be an artist. Everyday I practice, however there are some things that trouble me. I grew up with a sister who bullied me; the thing is is that she was an excellent artist but she would always tell me that I will never be an artist. She would always tell me that my drawings sucked.

Its been years since then but that thought has always bothered me and I constantly practice and practice but I can just never get better. Her words just keep holding me back. Are there any ways that I can overcome such insecurities?

As of now, I'm planning to take a bunch of art classes at my community college in addition to my University education(which is not art related). I'm hoping my experience with those could help me overcome it.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by asdfasdf1 View Post
    Its been years since then but that thought has always bothered me and I constantly practice and practice but I can just never get better. Her words just keep holding me back.
    You're a bit quick to infer causality here. It's possible, certainly, that you're suffering from some childhood trauma that blocks you mentally somehow. I'd say it's much more likely that you're just doing it wrong though. You can spend decades "practising" without getting better if you practice the wrong things and just perpetually spin your wheel.

Are you learning fundamentals? Structural drawing, formal perspective, anatomy, composition, colour theory etc.?
    Are you doing copies/ studies from masters?
    Are you drawing and painting from life regularily?
    Are you drawing subject matter that you're bad at drawing until you get better at it?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't ask her opinion, if she gives it ignore it. Constant negative feedback can be toxic to your development and it seems as if she has created some type of inferiority complex. Also, as Benedikt has said, learn the fundamentals. If you grasp perspective and structural drawing, your art will undoubtedly look "better". Have you posted any work here?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I semi did this to my brother. Well.. I did not say his work sucked but I boasted about my relativity better work (not in a crass manner of course), and I believe this indirectly made him loose some of his passion in the arts. I've stopped doing that now.

In retrospect, my stupid actions were not out of malice rather they were because of the stupidity of youth. So please forgive your sister if you feel she is sorry for what she had done and move on.

Good luck.

Members who have read this thread: 55